Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is boost mode a varlid reason to go PRO?

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So with Horizon: zero dawn coming out and really wanting to play that game, i've beend thinking of buying a ps4 pro. Currently i have no ps4. But i also don't have a 4k tv and don't plan on buying one soon. So i was thinking if boost mode is a valid reason to shell out a 100 bucks more for a pro. Buying a console is so weird these days.

On a side note, i'm also thinking of just buying a switch. That new zelda looks cool (and i really don't like the wii, had one in the past)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes its a valid reason but in my oppinion "boost mode" is how the games should be made in the first place.

If you dont plan on buying an expensive 4k TV with great HDR you wont see any meaningfull difference between 1080p and 4k.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If I were buying a PS4 for the first time I'd get a Pro. I don't think it's worth upgrading a PS4 to a PS4 Pro unless (maybe) you have a 4K TV, but spending an extra $100 seems worth it to have the current-generation tech.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of games uses super sampling for 1080p on a pro so you will see a difference. I think boost mode is as a good a reason as any to upgrade, performance is king imo. I have a 4k tv but would want a pro to play 1080p 60 tbh.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WynnDuffy

Not really because it's so negligible, Pro patches for other games are though, if you play the system a lot

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of games uses super sampling for 1080p on a pro so you will see a difference. I think boost mode is as a good a reason as any to upgrade, performance is king imo. I have a 4k tv but would want a pro to play 1080p 60 tbh.

thing is most games don't hit 60 i've seen. Even older games with the boost modes. I played bloodborne a while back, and love the game but the performance is sooo bad. The boost mode doesn't seem to fix it. The boost mode patch for FF XV even makes things worse it seems. Such a weird situation right now.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syndrom said:
    @oursin_360 said:

thing is most games don't hit 60 i've seen. Even older games with the boost modes. I played bloodborne a while back, and love the game but the performance is sooo bad. The boost mode doesn't seem to fix it. The boost mode patch for FF XV even makes things worse it seems. Such a weird situation right now.

I hope nioh's reception changes that, but i agree it's the main reason i don't own one. Bloodborne would need a pro patch, if it's anything like dark souls 1 it is developed for 30fps. But it is on the DS3 engine so it should be able to get 60 if they work on it.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BojackHorseman

Don't know about varlid, but I certainly think it is valid.

Grammar police, out.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@syndrom said:

So with Horizon: zero dawn coming out and really wanting to play that game, i've beend thinking of buying a ps4 pro. Currently i have no ps4. But i also don't have a 4k tv and don't plan on buying one soon. So i was thinking if boost mode is a valid reason to shell out a 100 bucks more for a pro. Buying a console is so weird these days.

On a side note, i'm also thinking of just buying a switch. That new zelda looks cool (and i really don't like the wii, had one in the past)

If you don't own a PS4, buy the Pro. There are a bunch of Bundles with games for $350 or less if you look. It doesn't make sense at this point to buy a PS4 base/slim. BF1, Titanfall 2, and a fair number of other games are noticeably better on Pro at 1080p. Boost mode should also make Just Cause 3 valid on console and mostly fix Witcher 3's biggest performance issues. It also helps with Fallout 4 if I recall.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Zevvion

If you don't have a PS4 you should get a Pro. If you have a PS4 you should not get a Pro.

This assuming you paying that kind of money is noticeable on your bank account. If it isn't, go nuts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.