Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

I own a 4k TV. Should I get a PS4 Pro?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I apologize if this has been done, but every thread I've seen about this topic is "I DON'T have a 4k tv; should I get a PS4 Pro?"

Maybe it has an obvious answer, but the history of the PS4 Pro thus far is littered with stories of it often being worse than the vanilla PS4? Seems insane to pay extra for it if it isn't guaranteed to bring a better experience. I have a PC and can get higher performance if I want, but I live several provinces away from friends who own PS4's and I want to connect with them again. I could just cheap out and get a regular PS4 but after visiting my old home and trying to fiddle around with The Witcher 3 the frame rate kind hurt my eyes. At this point in the PS4 Pro cycle is "boost mode" or higher frame rate pretty standard moving forward (not so concerned about games already released)? At the very least if Pro games are standard 4k are the frame rates still worse in some cases than their vanilla PS4, or has that been ironed out?

Any thoughts Bomberinos?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If money is not a huge concern get a pro. The issues have mostly been ironed out and boost mode + pro enhanced games mean that with rare exceptions games will run better on the pro. If you ever want a PSVR the Pro will be better. Most games with potential performance issues at 4K will have options to favor frame rate anyway.

Now if your question is whether the pro is worth the additional cost...that's a different question and I think it's harder to answer.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought things have gotten better now? i personally don't see why you wouldn't as it's not that much more. i guess if you were real hard up on cash and just wanted a console the slim would be a better bet.

i got a pro for my friend though he only has a 1080p but it seems like everything runs well in general and some games look sharper.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Get the Pro. Since I upgraded I personally haven't run into any terrible issues. And from what I hear, downgrades are the exception to the rule. The upsides of potentially upgraded games down the line will future proof you a bit.

Just get the Pro if you don't own a PS4 yet.

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Does your TV support HDR because not all 4K TVs do?

If so and you were thinking about getting a PS4 anyway, why not?

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't buy a new PS4 at this point without going Pro.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see any reason to get a slim over a pro if you are shopping for a new system if you can afford it.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a 4k tv and a Pro and I honestly can't tell the difference. Horizon sure looks purdy tho.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ashwyn: Yeah you're right, and I only paid about $1000 for my 4k TV so it probably doesn't have HDR. The only reason why I wasn't sure I would is if it was still a shaky experience, because on the console side I want as rock solid as possible.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

@brendan: even if it does at that price i wouldn't expect the hdr to actually look good, it will probably just take the hdr signal and leave it all washed out. Hdr is kind of a scam on mid range tvs, you need the expensive ones for it and at that point its really just having a better tv just not having to adjust the color etc yourself as much

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unless you are very tight on money there is just about 0 reason to get a regular PS4 at this point. Regardless of you having a 4K TV or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I can only afford a 3K TV but I hear you can only watch Fox News on them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.