Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is it still worth it to buy a PS3?

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By deadshot_52

Just wondering.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

In a way it's probably worth it now more than ever. PS+ is consistently putting out really good full retail PS3 games and everything else is pretty inexpensive. If you don't mind playing older games in light of the "new generation" then it's probably an awesome investment.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you're OK with being behind a generation there are a lot of good games you can pickup for cheap.

I'd say yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're just buying one for the exclusives then I'd maybe think it's still a little expensive unless you get a good deal. Otherwise it's probably a decent pickup, if you're willing to get used discs you can get most popular games of the last decade for under $10 a pop.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The console is super cheap enough to pick up on a whim and most of the great games on the system are easily found for $10-$20 a pop. So as long as there are a good handful of exclusives you want to play then I say yes go for it (also it'll double as a bluray player if you don't have one of those already)

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Didn't you start another thread about saving up for a gaming PC?

As long as you aren't worried about playing the latest stuff, there's a lot of good stuff on the PS3. Some multi-platform games don't do that well on PS3 (Skyrim, Bayonetta, etc.) but there's some good exclusives and lots of multi-plats are perfectly fine.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@viking_funeral: I thought there was a patch put out for Bayonetta that made it pretty much ok?

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't you start another thread about saving up for a gaming PC?

As long as you aren't worried about playing the latest stuff, there's a lot of good stuff on the PS3. Some multi-platform games don't do that well on PS3 (Skyrim, Bayonetta, etc.) but there's some good exclusives and lots of multi-plats are perfectly fine.

lol yeah and thanks.

The console is super cheap enough to pick up on a whim and most of the great games on the system are easily found for $10-$20 a pop. So as long as there are a good handful of exclusives you want to play then I say yes go for it (also it'll double as a bluray player if you don't have one of those already)

I forgot about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@oscar__explosion said:

@viking_funeral: I thought there was a patch put out for Bayonetta that made it pretty much ok?

Anyone who says that patch made Bayonetta okay is either high or has really low standards. It looks murky as hell and runs at like... 20 fps. Would never recommend to anyone ever.

Anyway, yeah I think a PS3 is worthwhile considering it and its games are cheap as dirt now. Makes more a nice blu ray player too.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'd say yes. I bought a Wii way back when but it took a beat seat to my 360 for most of the generation and only now am I playing through a lot of games for it. The games are cheap (for the most part) and you've got a whole generation of games to play through.

PS3 had heaps of great exclusives, I could think of at least 7-8 games that I'd love to play. Aren't some PS3 games available on the PS4 store though?

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes.in fact ide say its a better choice to get a ps3 over a ps4 at this point.alot cheaper and alot more games available on the ps3 right now.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still holding out hope that Sony will dump a ton of PS3 games on the PS4 PSN store.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadshot_52:

What's the context? Did you have a 360? Do you have a PS4? Are you looking to play new games? Are you only interested in the exclusives?

There are more than enough great exclusives for it to be worth it. Really worth it if you didn't have a 360 either. If you want to play the cross-gen stuff, probably not so much.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i had one all-ready but bought 2 more just in-case my old one dies

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punched: Wondering if I should buy that, or a PS4.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadshot_52:

If you didn't have a 360 a PS3 would be worth it. There's a generation of fantastic games and there isn't a real reason to jump into current gen yet. If you're just looking to play the PS3 exclusives, the PS4 is probably a better option since most of the exclusives will likely be available on the PS4 though rereleases or PS Now.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you're like me and aren't a graphics whore who needs to keep up with the joneses and get new systems that have practically no games anyway, PS3 is where it's at. Ton of great games, easier to install a larger hard drive than 360, better downloadable games, etc. PS+ is awesome, but you've already missed out on the great times before PS4 where they gave us 3 games a month instead of 2. But you can get a lot of used PS3 games off amazon for like 5 bucks now anyway.

But then again my gaming habits are weird, so maybe don't listen to me. I'm using my Wii just as much as my PS3 these days to play Monster Hunter Tri, Pikmin 2, Epic Yarn, and Mario Galaxy 2. Probably gonna get Skyward Sword sometime this year as well. I let myself miss a lot of stuff that I'm now buying left and right cause they're cheap, and I honestly have no desire for a current gen system besides Bloodborne and Super Mario 3D Land, but it's a little hard to justify such a big purchase for one game (depending on the system I got).

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It's never been more worth it and it'll only become more so over time.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I say wait till e3 and see if there is a price drop just in case, but yes it is still worth it for some of the exclusive games. The PS4 is nice but no games compared to the PS3.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this would be a thread about games. It would be nice to have a thread which has all the highlights from a console(which probably won't change now). I'd say Uncharted, Demon Souls, Last of us, journey... what else?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, the PS3 and its library is sweet.
    Get also a PS2, also sweet.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Personally, I bought one of these thinking I'd catch up on all those PS3 games I missed, only to discover that since I'm not a Metal Gear fan or even particularly an Uncharted fan, there are relatively few games that made it worth my while (as an owner of a 360). The most use I got out of it when Suikoden 2 was released for the playstation store..

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I bought one of these thinking I'd catch up on all those PS3 games I missed, only to discover that since I'm not a Metal Gear fan or even particularly an Uncharted fan, there are relatively few games that made it worth my while (as an owner of a 360). The most use I got out of it when Suikoden 2 was released for the playstation store..

Are you a freaking crazy person? Demons' Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous 1&2, Tokyo Jungle, LittleBigPlanet, God of War, Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3-5. The list goes on and only gets crazier when you delve into download-only exclusives like PixelJunk, Journey, Flower, Trash Panic, Comet Crash, etc. And if you're at all interested in HD remakes, PS3 is the place to be since PS2 was one of the best systems ever. You can't get HD 60fps Shadow of the Colossus on 360, now can you?

There's so much more to a PS3 than Metal Gear and Uncharted that it's hard to believe you're not trolling. I don't even like Uncharted (love me some Metal Gear though). 360 is the system lacking exclusives, you ask me. I got a 360 first and it was my chosen multiplat system for a long time but it and all my games were stolen years and years ago and I just never got a new one and switched to my PS3. Got a 360 slim as a present about 2 years ago. The thing has been collecting dust, cause that's what happens when you don't play your multiplatform games on a 360 cause there are hardly any worthwhile exclusives. The only games I bought for it so far are Witcher 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction, both of which I would prefer to get on PC if I had one that was worth a damn. Only thing 360 has going for it over PS3 in 2015 is a better controller.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You have to be willing to be a generation behind. And, while PS3 obviously has more games given it has been out for approaching a decade, you really have to want to be the generation behind.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
    The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's too bad the super slim is such an ugly cheap looking redesign.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Choi

OOO, totally man! I'm also late to the party, bought my PS3 when GTA 5 came out. Playstation plus is great and there are a ton of great cheep games to check out.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219:
    No, the only items on your list that interest me are Journey and Infamous 2 (which I did get, but never got around to playing, since I had just played Shadow of Mordor to scratch the open world itch). IMO your list summarizes perfectly the reason why the PS3 isn't as good in retrospect as it seemed at the time, and reflects very well the issues with the PS4. Most of the games you've listed were novel ideas that were only okay in execution. By the way, you forgot to mention the Last of Us.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Like others have said: If you don't care about being one generation behind it's a great system. It's probably super cheap by now and there's a ton of great games out for it, most of them pretty cheap by now I reckon.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219:

No, the only items on your list that interest me are Journey and Infamous 2 (which I did get, but never got around to playing, since I had just played Shadow of Mordor to scratch the open world itch). IMO your list summarizes perfectly the reason why the PS3 isn't as good in retrospect as it seemed at the time, and reflects very well the issues with the PS4. Most of the games you've listed were novel ideas that were only okay in execution. By the way, you forgot to mention the Last of Us.

I didn't play Last of Us. Just out of curiosity, then, what 360 exclusives do you think are better? If you haven't tried Demons Souls or Comet Crash you're missing out, my friend.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: I'm actually a huge Gears of War and Halo fan, but my point isn't that the 360 is better. Only that in the current day, assuming you played games last generation on some system, the old PS3 library doesn't add much (or didn't, for me) on top of what you got last gen, and you can get now on current consoles and the PC. If this guy has been playing PS2 games since 2007, then by all means, get a PS3.

Dark Souls isn't my thing, but I'll look into Comet Crash. Thanks for the rec.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the PS3 wasn't having so many horrid HDMI ID issues with my capturing setup I'd be playing (and streaming) it more than the PS4. Unless you're allergic to lesser known games and Japanese games then it has a remarkable amount of games that aged well enough to look good next to the PS4, most with soul and gameplay lacking in current-gen games as we approach the second birthday six seven months from now.

If what's coming to the PS4 2015-2016 has you interested and you can only really choose one I'd say wait, and go PS4. It's a slow starter but it's looking so great.. for those of us into lesser known games and Japanese games, ie the ones into consoles because of those unique and properly exclusive experiences the PC won't get a taste of :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.