Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Online 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 04, 2012

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a Japanese free-to-play online action-RPG which was released for PC in July 2012, and Vita in Feb 2013. The game was finally announced for a US release during E3 2019, for Xbox One and PC in 2020.

PSO2 to host Vocaloid concert.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

In one of the more unique online game events I've heard of, Phantasy Star Online 2 will play host to a special concert event starting next week in which the Vocaloids Hatsune Miku and Megurine Luka will perform, and a rare drop can be earned by attending.

I just thought it was funny to see this given how often I've read misguided comments online from people thinking Sega's decision to localize the Project Diva rhythm games had any bearing on their willingness or ability to localize PSO2.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

While I'm not particularly interested in either Pso 2 or Hatsune Miku to any strong degree, I do think that's kind of neat.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Considering the fact that one of the songs in Project Diva f takes place inside PSO world, this makes perfect sense. I wish I cared enough about PSO2 to install it and check this out.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ottoman673

What a sad world we live in when a musical performance can be amounted to clicking play on a FLAC of some computer generated voice and instrumentals

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@ottoman673 said:

What an awesome world we live in when a musical performance can be amounted to clicking play on a FLAC of some computer generated voice and instrumentals.

Fixed that for you!

In all seriousness, it still takes some amount of skill to compose a likable song, even if the computer is doing the work of generating the vocals and instrument tracks. It's impressive to see someone play an instrument skillfully, sure, but computer-generated music is just as valid.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ottoman673 said:

What an awesome world we live in when a musical performance can be amounted to clicking play on a FLAC of some computer generated voice and instrumentals.

Fixed that for you!

In all seriousness, it still takes some amount of skill to compose a likable song, even if the computer is doing the work of generating the vocals and instrument tracks. It's impressive to see someone play an instrument skillfully, sure, but computer-generated music is just as valid.

And just as entertaining in a concert:

Loading Video...

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could have sworn this already happened early last year.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Granted, I only like a few Vocaloid songs, this seems like a really fun thing. It's kind of amazing how big Miku is, and having her pop up in an MMO to perform seems perfect.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is PSO2 even available in the states yet???

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ottoman673

@wemibelec90 said:

@ottoman673 said:

What a sad, depressing world we live in when a musical performance can be amounted to clicking play on a FLAC of some computer generated voice and instrumentals.

Fixed that for you! Re-fixed for clarification.

I'm sorry, but it's difficult for me to consider it a "performance" when it's music that I can download and play outside of said "concert" and have it quite literally sound exactly the same.

The only thing that separates EDM DJ's from Vocaloids is that EDM DJ's add in the art of the remix, and place their own special touch over a pre-existing song, whereas Vocaloids literally consist of someone clicking play on their FL Studio project that I can do when they release their album.

Maybe call it a stream?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By doctordonkey

This already happened once or twice, I think they do it every year. The only thing I remember from it is me standing there in a lobby with like 4 people as the whole concert was blaring, watching it for about a minute, going "Huh.", and logging off.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Would be way more impressive if it was 2pac. Or any real singer. Or any real person, really. I mean, I can go type /dance in WoW and sing into my microphone and I'm basically Hatsune Miku. Except I'd probably sound better.

Actually, WoW's been doing this for ages with L90ETC. Blizzard are way ahead, there, using real musicians.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90 said:

@ottoman673 said:

What a sad, depressing world we live in when a musical performance can be amounted to clicking play on a FLAC of some computer generated voice and instrumentals.

Fixed that for you! Re-fixed for clarification.

I'm sorry, but it's difficult for me to consider it a "performance" when it's music that I can download and play outside of said "concert" and have it quite literally sound exactly the same.

The only thing that separates EDM DJ's from Vocaloids is that EDM DJ's add in the art of the remix, and place their own special touch over a pre-existing song, whereas Vocaloids literally consist of someone clicking play on their FL Studio project that I can do when they release their album.

Maybe call it a stream?

A stream is still a performance. Likewise, I can watch a movie or TV show that's pre-recorded, doesn't change from viewing to viewing, and remains entertaining all the same.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Synergy! I think you guys are reading way too much into a scripted MMO event though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be way more impressive if it was 2pac. Or any real singer. Or any real person, really. I mean, I can go type /dance in WoW and sing into my microphone and I'm basically Hatsune Miku. Except I'd probably sound better.

Actually, WoW's been doing this for ages with L90ETC. Blizzard are way ahead, there, using real musicians.

I guess you're under the impression that neither real people nor real musicians, write or compose the songs she sings?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@karkarov: Nope. Probably never will be available at this rate and on the off chance it does come out, I doubt many people will still care by then.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man you people so bitter! Enjoy the awesome stupidity of it, makes me want to play PSO2

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's actually really appropriate.

I'm still hoping they'll bring this damn thing over here some day. Isn't there already an official english version in some part of Asia?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn SEGA, doing stuff like this I would think both Hatsune Miku and Phantasy Star are in good hands...

...and then I remember how I'll never see a stateside PSO2 release even though you've hyped it all these years...

I don't even know if my JP PSO2 account is still around. I'd actually check this out, otherwise.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karkarov

@karkarov: Nope. Probably never will be available at this rate and on the off chance it does come out, I doubt many people will still care by then.

Yeah figures. I love the Miku hate in this thread though. I am not exactly into vocaloids myself but other than the fact that the song output is "synthetic" real people wrote the songs, composed them, and provided sound samples for the computer to use. In fact it would be easier to just do it the old fashioned way if you ask me.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@karkarov: It's a unique sound though. A vocaloid voice is very different from a real one.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just looking it up since it was mentioned earlier in the thread and it looks like in previous years they had Hatsune Miku's music playing and only had videos up on those gigantic screens in the lobby area of the game. Kind of underwhelming, I expected her to actually be in the lobby in person?

Still, there are indeed unprecedented levels of anti-Miku sentiment here that needs to be addressed with some Hatsune Miku:

Loading Video...

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about PS Home?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT

@equitasinvictus: That sounds... unpleasant. It ain't no Levan Polkka, which is the only song I've heard from Hatsune Miku that I unapologetically enjoy. That picture of her there looks pretty kick-ass though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Corevi

@theht: You will probably like this, it's about healthy veggie juice.

Loading Video...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHT
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hatsune Miku already looks like the perfect fit for PSO2, so sure. This seems like a cool idea.

I just wish it were easier to get into PSO2.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I'm not particularly interested in either Pso 2 or Hatsune Miku to any strong degree, I do think that's kind of neat.

I agree wholeheartedly. I remember in World of Warcraft, they had an event in Shattrath waaaaaay back in the Burning Crusade days when Level 70 Elite Tauren Chieftains would play in one of the bars there every other hour I believe, and it was a lot of fun to attend with a lot of other players there. If an MMO actually held an actual concert event, with a specific time, and all the players are in the same room, I think that would be very unique and fun.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@hailinel said:

@gunslingerpanda said:

I guess you're under the impression that neither real people nor real musicians, write or compose the songs she sings?

Of course I'm not.

"Sings" is bloody generous.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda: I look at Vocaloid as an instrument. It has a unique sound to it and can do a lot of things that a human can't (speak insanely fast for one).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@gunslingerpanda said:

Of course I'm not.

"Sings" is bloody generous.

Your lack of imagination isn't really my problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.