Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona

Franchise »

Depicting occult practices, fey heroes, and demons crawling out of the woodwork, Persona is Atlus' largest, most successful, and most acclaimed franchise. Beginning as a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, the series developed a sizable following in the West after Persona 3, and expanded into non-JRPG genres after Persona 4.

How can I get into Persona?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ramone

I, like many people on this, website watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Persona 4 Endurance Run. Not only were Jeff's and Vinny's comments hilarious but the game was genuinely funny and well written itself. This sparked an interest in me but I've never quite figured out how the hell I could get my hands on Persona easily and with relatively low cost. I live in the U.K meaning that the obvious option of downloading P3 FES on PSN is impossible (as far as I know at least), I also do not own a PSVita or a PSP (however I may be able to access one if needs be) and I no longer have my PS2. I am not against purchasing another PS2 but that should only really be a last resort. My questions are which Persona should I buy and on which platform? Also does anyone know if there is any chance of P3 being released on the European PSN store?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Buy a PS2, get Persona 3 FES and Persona 4.

That's probably the cheapest way to do it.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Cloudenvy said:

This. You can also get a PSP and play Persona 1, 2, and the best version of 3(IMO, at least.). But keep in mind that Persona and Persona 2 are very different from 3 and 4.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Just get Persona 4. Or wait for Golden to come out and get that.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

This. You can also get a PSP and play Persona 1, 2, and the best version of 3(IMO, at least.). But keep in mind that Persona and Persona 2 are very different from 3 and 4.

Yeah, I just figured he was only interested in the "modern" Persona experience. That's how it is most of the time.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ramone

Thanks guys, I think I might just get a PS2 during the summer. Also congratulations on your insane amount of posts

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ramone

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Yeah, I just figured he was only interested in the "modern" Persona experience. That's how it is most of the time.

What are the main differences between the old and new Personas?

ARTB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By ARTB

I'm sure Persona 3 is out for PSP in Europe, it's on PSN in Australia and the Shin Megami Tensai games have the same publisher in both territories. That being said the PS2 Persona 3 Fes is a way better version so I would go with that anyway.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Ramone said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

The old Personas are more dungeon crawlers than the new Personas, if i'm not mistaken. The Old Ones also doesn't have the Social Link system. A great part of the new Persona fans says the first two games aged BADLY, but i really like them. Then again, i think SMT is better than Persona.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@Ramone said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Well:

• Persona and Persona 2 do not have Social Links.
    • Dungeon exploration in the original Persona is in first-person.
    • Persona and Persona 2 use a variation of the Megami Tensei demon negotiation system to acquire cards for fusion and other items, which is not as easy as the "Shuffle Time" mechanic introduced in P3 by a long shot.
    • Persona and Persona 2 do not operate on a day-by-day calendar.
    • Persona 3 introduced a new combat system based on the Press Turn system first seen in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Persona and Persona 2 feature an older turn-based system that's slower-paced.
    • In Persona and Persona 2, all of the player's party members can visit the Velvet Room and equip multiple Personas. Only the protagonists in P3 and P4 are able to do this.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikeGosot said:

@Ramone said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

The old Personas are more dungeon crawlers than the new Personas, if i'm not mistaken. The Old Ones also doesn't have the Social Link system. A great part of the new Persona fans says the first two games aged BADLY, but i really like them. Then again, i think SMT is better than Persona.

Even if I'm a bigger fan of the newer Persona's, I wouldn't say they've aged badly. They're just, as you said, very different games.

They might be worth playing through if you're super into the Persona lore, knowing about Philemon and all that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Cloudenvy: I shouldn't have judged the fans of the newer games that way, but i've seem so much hate towards Persona 2 that it's RIDICULOUS.
    ARTB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ARTB

@Ramone: 1 and 2 are closer to traditional JRPGs where you're going from one dungeon to the next doing side quests in the city along the way. They both still have an insane awesome story set around high school if that's you're main draw. But if you wanted to try them go straight to Persona 2 because it is way more refined and has a more interesting story.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikeGosot: I wasn't calling you out or anything! I agree for the most part, I think it's because most people play the newer Persona's and then go in with the wrong expectations.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Animasta

@ARTB said:

@Ramone: 1 and 2 are closer to traditional JRPGs where you're going from one dungeon to the next doing side quests in the city along the way. They both still have an insane awesome story set around high school if that's you're main draw. But if you wanted to try them go straight to Persona 2 because it is way more refined and has a more interesting story.

eternal punishment and innocent sin aren't really centered around high school.

Persona 2's combat aged badly (fuck the undersea ruins) but the stories of those two are way better than any other game Atlus has ever done. Heartily recommend

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot: I wasn't calling you out or anything! I agree for the most part, I think it's because most people play the newer Persona's and then go in with the wrong expectations.

Yeah, the lack of Social links was a big "WOW!" for me. I wouldn't be mad if they rebooted the series and turned every old Persona into the new type.

EDIT: I wouldn't be mad just to make the series more uniform or something. It's weird to not be able to recommend every game of the franchise, just because of wrong expectations.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Yeah, the lack of Social links was a big "WOW!" for me. I wouldn't be mad if they rebooted the series and turned every old Persona into the new type.

god no persona 2's story is perfect on it's own and social links would completely ruin it.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ramone

I may as well ask here, are any of the other Shin Megami Tensei games similar to Persona 4/worth playing?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Ramone: Persona 3.

Everything else is probably too far removed from what you actually want.

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I'd probably rather have them work on new games, heh.

Damn it Persona 5, release already.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By YI_Orange

@Ramone said:

I, like many people on this, website watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Persona 4 Endurance Run. Not only were Jeff's and Vinny's comments hilarious but the game was genuinely funny and well written itself. This sparked an interest in me but I've never quite figured out how the hell I could get my hands on Persona easily and with relatively low cost. I live in the U.K meaning that the obvious option of downloading P3 FES on PSN is impossible (as far as I know at least), I also do not own a PSVita or a PSP (however I may be able to access one if needs be) and I no longer have my PS2. I am not against purchasing another PS2 but that should only really be a last resort. My questions are which Persona should I buy and on which platform? Also does anyone know if there is any chance of P3 being released on the European PSN store?

Peronsa 2: Eternal Punishment seems really really interesting, but I couldn't get past the persona system. I hated it. and after completing a dungeon and moving onto the next story bit the enemies leaped ahead of me power so far it seemed like they were requiring me to grind. Unfortunately, I had to stop because of this.

Like others have said, just get 3 and 4. Personally, I was very turned off the PSP version of Persona 3. While the capability to pick a female main character is...cool(?) I don't like the implications of it. It kind of took away the sense that the guy you play in the original is important, especially things implied by "The Answer" in FES. I get that in the end it's all just an avatar for the player, but still. Also, I saw some story changes from being a female and one social link related one...spoiler, don't click if you haven't played Persona 3. I also don't like the point and click way of doing the maps. Sometimes walking around got annoying, but I liked it. So for me, the superior version is FES. Also, the AI can take a bit to get used to in Persona 3 since you don't directly control them. That said, you should play 3 first so all the improvements in 4 are nice as opposed to the annoyances in 3 being emphasized.

If you get Shinjiro to 10 he lives. Fuck that. I like him, but it's dumb that he lives. The only way I would be cool with this was if Ken died instead.

@Ramone: Edit - Others aren't really that similar. Most are a little more dark, story is a bit more implied(especially in the case of Nocturne). They tend to deal with post-apocalypse, or present apocalypse though. I believe Shin Megami Tensei translates roughly into "Rebirth of the New Goddess" or something along those lines.

Nocturne still have demon(persona) collection and fusing, but you use them for your party rather than summon them. It's a great game.

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 has set characters with something I guess similar to the Sphere Grid for gaining new abilities. Both these and Nocturne follow the same rough battle style.

Devil Survivor has demon collection. This game is a turn based RPG within an SRPG. It's easier to see than to explain. Highly customizable parties and interesting story. I never beat it because I didn't grind and got stuck on a fight.

There's more, but those are the ones I feel qualified to talk about. Out of them, DDS is probably my favorite SMT sub franchise aside from Persona.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Cloudenvy said:

Damn it Persona 5, release already.

Just understand that given the series tradition, it's gonna be nothing like Persona 3/4, from a gameplay perspective. Also, it's coming out in, like, 2014.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

@YI_Orange: I hate the system just as much as you probably do, but the story is so good that it doesn't matter.

Also, Innocent Sin is different in that you don't REALLY need to grind for personae. You get free persona from dudes (starting set, then customs, and then the evolved persona) and they're enough to carry you through the entire game (maybe get some persona in between customs and evolved, but that's optional). So consider that if you don't like the persona system.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Cloudenvy: Oh, Persona 5 would be much better, what i meant was "If instead of doing the remakes they've done, they rebooted the old ones, i wouldn't be mad."

@Animasta: Well, the old ones would be always there for you to play it. I, at least, wouldn't be mad.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Video_Game_King: I very much doubt they'll be throwing out mechanics like Social Links and such, but we'll see I guess.

@MikeGosot: Oh yeah, for sure. As cool as The Golden sounds, I certainly could've lived without another Persona 4.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy: Oh, Persona 5 would be much better, what i meant was "If instead of doing the remakes they've done, they rebooted the old ones, i wouldn't be mad."

@Animasta: Well, the old ones would be always there for you to play it. I, at least, wouldn't be mad.

You'd have to rewrite so much of it that it'd be easier to just create a new game.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Animasta: That's true.

@Cloudenvy: Yeah, Persona is the Call Of Duty of Atlus. At that point they're just farming the same characters, because they know fans will buy. At least they are doing some different things, like the fighting game.
    YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By YI_Orange

@Animasta: I really wanna not hate that game :(. I just got out of the burning museum(dumbest kids ever) and am on the part where Ulala went evil from rumors or got possessed or whatever. I love everything about the plot so far but god damn it can I not play that game. You need so many cards I'm not sure I ever upgraded my personae. I mean, the acquisition of contracts and cards and such is kind of cool, but I just hate the grind.

Also, the voice acting is soooooooo bad. Katsuya sounds like he was recorded in some dude's basement. It somehow makes yelling "I'll hear your excuses down at the station!" at a cockatrice more hilarious. uggghhhh god dammit I want to like that game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@YI_Orange: which is why I'm saying you should play innocent sin instead of eternal punishment, because you don't really need cards

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikeGosot: Yeah, I'm cool with the fighting game though. Having a known developer have their way with a franchise known for completely different gameplay is something I'm a huge fan of.

As long as I get some new Persona I'm happy, I suppose!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Cloudenvy:

Did we see monster negotiations in Persona 3? What about first person, non-random dungeons in Persona 4?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot: Yeah, I'm cool with the fighting game though. Having a known developer have their way with a franchise known for completely different gameplay is something I'm a huge fan of.

As long as I get some new Persona I'm happy, I suppose!

As long as i get a new Persona, i'm happy. I don't like when a series that is supposed to change in every sequel (Like Final Fantasy, for example.) can't "abandon" a game. I get it, FFVII and Persona 4 are fun. You don't need to keep making more of them.
    But... Dat fighting game looks sick.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Video_Game_King: Neither of those games became as popular as Persona 3 and Persona 4 did, that's why I'm saying they won't remove what many associate with modern Persona.

@MikeGosot: They're just going where the safe money is at, I suppose.

Yeah it does, though I'm afraid I'll just keep running into Chie over and over again when playing online.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By SlightConfuse

just poping in to say persona 2 is pretty great. also play digtial devil saga and nocturne

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax

I've really enjoyed Persona 3 and Persona 4. Whether or not it's worth buying a PS2 just for them is up to you, but if you're interested in Persona you should definitely play those two.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mutha3

@Animasta said:

@YI_Orange: I hate the system just as much as you probably do, but the story is so good that it doesn't matter.

it really, really does end up mattering.

its kind of hard to ignore what makes up, like, 70% or more of these games. I agree that P2 has a solid story, and I'm glad I trudged through it, but if you're unwilling to deal with 1998 JRPG bullshit I recommend you don't bother.

(also nocturne is more interesting storywise and actually fun to play. buy smt nocturne)

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cloudenvy

@mutha3: I have heard horror stories about some of Nocturne, mostly the need to mindlessly grind. Maybe the person I was talking to was exaggerating.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mutha3

@Cloudenvy said:

@mutha3: I have heard horror stories about some of Nocturne, mostly the need to mindlessly grind. Maybe the person I was talking to was exaggerating.

The answer to this is probably yes and no.

Nocturne is tough as nails, merciless and very complex. It also rewards players who are able to dig into that depth and figure out its systems(meaning you can get through with 0 grinding if you know how to play).If you suck at jrpgs, though, and are the type of player who grinds past everything...whoo boy, you've pretty much got yourself hell in videogame form.

Persona 2 on the other hand is just kind of dumb and tedious in the gameplay department.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cloudenvy

@mutha3: Great, sounds like something I should play if I finally get into that Demon's Souls frame of mind and want to punish myself.

Oh yeah, I've experienced the frustrations of Persona 2 first hand.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Cloudenvy: its like dark souls where if you are not careful you can get fucked real bad. but as Mutha said if you put the peices together you can make it

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Animasta

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

its kind of hard to ignore what makes up, like, 70% or more of these games. I agree that P2 has a solid story, and I'm glad I trudged through it, but if you're unwilling to deal with 1998 JRPG bullshit I recommend you don't bother.

(also nocturne is more interesting storywise and actually fun to play. buy smt nocturne)

considering I usually hate 90's JRPG bullshit (can't even play FFIX because the battles are too long), the fact that I keep playing despite it is also a factor. just got to the torifune/xibalba in EP, so hopefully I'm close to the end

also nocturne is nowhere near as good storywise, pleeeeeze.

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Soren

@mutha3 said:

No Caption Provided

But yeah, the original games are pretty tedious, and even the PSP releases did little to address some of their more glaring issues. P2 probably has the strongest narrative of the bunch, but it's a bit of a chore nonetheless.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

considering I usually hate 90's JRPG bullshit (can't even play FFIX because the battles are too long), the fact that I keep playing despite it is also a factor. just got to the torifune/xibalba in EP, so hopefully I'm close to the end

They are both quality narratives with different focuses.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mutha3

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

They are both quality narratives with different focuses.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

NEVER

@Soren said:

No Caption Provided

@mutha3 said:

But yeah, the original games are pretty tedious, and even the PSP releases did little to address some of their more glaring issues. P2 probably has the strongest narrative of the bunch, but it's a bit of a chore nonetheless.

Yeah, as far as the Persona series goes, 2 definitely has the most cohesive narrative(reminder:hitler and ancient mayan spaceships are involved. reminder 2:this makes sense in the context of the narrative). 3 and 4 make a lot of dumb mistakes and misteps and 1 is kind of uninteresting(I only vaguely remember some of the themes and the general gist of the plot. I have a pretty good memory when it comes to stories soooo.....). But I ended up liking 4 more because of the characters.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta

nocturne is the better game and has the better setting, but persona 2 still has the best story

fuck xibalba tho

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thegoldencat7

Through the TV.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By coakroach

Persona 3 will be super familiar if you watched the endurance run, although personally I didn't enjoy the story/characters as much as those in Persona 4.

I'd go with that and then stay the hell away from Persona 2 until you've maybe checked out some of the other modern Shin Megami Tensei games, like Devil Survivor or Strange Journey.

While I havent played Persona 1 yet, i'm nearing the end (i think) of Persona 2 EP for the PSP and it is a completely different ball game.

The game mechanics are clunky and dated, but the story is totally worth it if you've built up a tolerance for wading through weird JRPG bullshit.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Commisar123

@Video_Game_King said:

Just get Persona 4. Or wait for Golden to come out and get that.

This is pretty much the best advice I could give

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.