Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

JRPGs after Persona 5 for a non-JRPG dude?

ebinBraveheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay, so I played through Persona 5 and kinda loved it. And now I'm looking for other JRPGs to play for PS4 specifically. Tales of Berseria a good candidate? I played through Symphonia and Vesperia as a teenager and enjoyed them. But I haven't touched any JRPGs for close to a decade. I'm a bit afraid that Persona 5 set the bar too high for other JRPGs to follow.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Does FFXV count? I know people are a bit touchy when it comes to what is and isnt a JRPG. If it does then i'd recommend it.

Theres also a demo for Beseria. It wasnt my thing but you might like it.

ebinBraveheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't make any difference to me whether it technically counts or not. The whole squad of four "j-pop bros" just seem incredibly offputting to me. I suppose I should consider it nonetheless. I am however looking for a story driven experience and I've understood that FFXV is somewhat light on that department?

I didn't realize Berseria had a demo, I'll check it out, thanks!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Valkryia Chronicles Remastered on the PS4 is quite good. As the name implies it's an updated version of the PS3 classic.

VC was the best game on the PS3. It's not really a JRPG, more of a Strategy RPG, but with a LOT of anime cutscenes and interesting characters.

I'll easily second this recommendation

ebinBraveheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys, I'll look into Valkyria Chronicles as well!

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

VC is a good bet. Maybe the the Trails games if your up for more narrative-focused, dialogue-heavy jrpgs. And of course there's always Persona 3 and 4 if you have access to them.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4(golden version if you can)

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can look at the other SMT games like Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, or SMT4 if you have a 3DS. PS2 era games, but both hold up really well and are fantastic stories. I'd wait years before playing the other 'modern' personas (3-4). They are gonna look pretty old and dated compared to the fucking master piece that is persona 5. FF15 might be worth looking into as well.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ebinbraveheart: Final Fantasy XII was pretty good, and they have an HD remaster of the International version coming out soon. If you wanted to try a game from one of the mainstays of the JRPG franchise. FFXV was originally supposed to be a spin-off called VERSUS XIII which is part of why it's so weird.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By liquiddragon

Go play Valkyria 'cause that's not a JRPG (and 'cause I love that game) or go play other things for awhile. Anyone who suggests you play 2 JRPGs back-to-back is not your friend. If you're hell bent on playing another JRPG, FFX/FFX-2 HD Remaster I've seen for dirt cheap.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Doesn't make any difference to me whether it technically counts or not. The whole squad of four "j-pop bros" just seem incredibly offputting to me. I suppose I should consider it nonetheless. I am however looking for a story driven experience and I've understood that FFXV is somewhat light on that department?

I didn't realize Berseria had a demo, I'll check it out, thanks!

For what it's worth, FFXV has some of my favorite character work in JRPGs. I believe each of the main four is a totally real person and genuinely enjoy hanging out in that world and hearing their banter, particularly in the ten-ish optional sequences where you hang out as duos. The actual game is light-ish on story for about half the game (due to it being an open world, but you could just main-line the story then it's not really) then gets very linear and story-focused. The actual quality of the presentation of the story is lacking, but I think the actual plot as it would exist on paper is fine. It does require some inferring by the player and seeing optional pieces of information to put the grander picture together, though.

As for other recommendations:

• IX is my absolute favorite FF and has a fantastic set of characters and great plot. Combat is on the slow side, but makes up for it with great visuals and music. Get the Steam version if you can, otherwise as a PS Classic.
      • Other FF recommendations: XII, Tactics (I don't think this is on PS4 so like...buy a copy and emulate it?)
    • .hack is a series of two arcs (1st is four games: Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine; 2nd is titled .hack GU and has three: Rebirth, Reminisce, Redemption) that are near to my heart. The first arc is PS2 only and tough to find nowadays, but .hack GU is getting a remaster of the trilogy on PS4 later this year. The first arc has the better story in my opinion, as GU went more anime, but GU has the better gameplay and the remaster is making a host of improvements.
    • Rogue Galaxy is on the PS4 store as a PS2 classic. That game's just kinda great, and it's action-based so you won't fall victim to any turn-based fatigue
    ebinBraveheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vasta_narada: That sounds really cool, thanks for the lengthy answer. I'll definitely check out FFXV eventually. Good video game characters certainly don't grow in trees so to speak.

Thanks to everybody else with the other great suggestions too. I just downloaded Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and I'm a couple of hours into it. Seems very charming and entertaining.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It's not out until this fall/winter, but Ni no Kuni 2 is worth a look. It's more actiony than its predecessor, but that might not be a bad thing, especially considering the pedigree of the company lies in action-RPGs like Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy.

Speaking of, there are some great RPGs to be found in the PS2-for-PS4 library. I highly recommend Dark Cloud 2 and Wild ARMs 3, and if you find yourself enjoying Dark Cloud 2, give Rogue Galaxy a look. I think DC2 is the better game, but Rogue Galaxy does have its moments.

Wild ARMs 3 is a traditional turn-based JRPG with a techno-Western setting. It's really charming, but gets a bit difficult to navigate. Have a FAQ handy.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best action-RPGs around, with semi-randomized dungeons, a city-building element, and a big weapon upgrade system. You don't see RPGs with its kind of scope anymore, and it's a damn shame. It's also really accessible and still looks mostly all right, if you're willing to forgive some older graphics.

I think the Final Fantasy X/X-2 rereleases are on PS4 now too, and are pretty great. That's a meaty set of games with possibly the best turn-based JRPG mechancis to date.

When you've had a little experience under your belt, come find me on the site and let's talk a little game called Disgaea, the last RPG you'll ever need. It looks intimidating as hell, but once it gets its hooks into you, it's one of the strongest modern RPG series going.

As for Tales of Zestiria/Berseria, I didn't care for Zestiria, and Berseria's a direct continuation of that. That said, the Tales games are usually good, and have a gentle learning curve. They're not bad choices if you can get them for a decent price, but I'd recommend having a guide on hand for these two. The crafting system sucks.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karmosin

The only other JRPG-series that has come close to match my love and obsession with Persona and Megaten, is the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the sky-games.

Now, they can't be found on ps4, but they are available on PC, the whole trilogy. And though they've gotten released pretty recently in the west, they are pretty old games that were first made for PSP, so If you don't have a really, really bad computer, I think you'd be able to run them just fine.

On the PS4 though... I don't know. I don't think it has a very strong JRPG-library so far. Have mostly looked back into the last generations of games or handhelds when it comes to that genre.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The recent games in the Atelier series came out on PS4. I've not played them just the PS3/Vita games called the Arland and Dusk trilogies. Typically the trilogies are not connected other than within the trilogy so you don't need the PS3 games to understand the PS4 games.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is pretty good as well. I'm not into Digimon but the lack of JRPGs on the system made me get that game when I got my PS4 because I heard it was a good game and it is, but it is no Persona.

I am replaying Persona 3 FES on PS2 waiting for a sale on Persona 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.