Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persistent Bullet Hole

Concept »

Persistent bullet holes allows players to shoot holes into walls without them disappearing right away. This feature added realism to first person shooters, as well as the ability to draw smiley faces.

permenant bullet hole tweaks

Self

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Self

ok, halo 3 was awesome, but the bullet holes only lasted for about 2 seconds. I no everyone says 'who cares how long bullet holes last' but it really imroves realism and the general feeling of the game when they stay. And before anyone posts 'but it slows down fps', in the games I have managed to tweak to get bullet holes (and brass as well) to stay, it has had very little effect on fps. SO, I thought it would be good to start a thread where people post (and ask for) tweaks to make bullet holes and brass stay. i'll start off with the following:
    Red orchestra: go to config file, change 'mindesiredframerate' to like 10, bullet marks and blood should stay
    there is also a line called 'decalstayscale' could try that
    ghost recon: brilliant mod made by 'agent smith' google search should help on that one, makes bullet holes stay and a few other minor tweaks
    COD UO: managed to find a mod to make brass stay, but ran into some issues. ask me about this one if your interested
    ok, these are my only succesful tweaks, am looking for:
    COD 4: increase bullet hole limit
    HL 2: make brass stay
    Farcry 2: bullet holes stay for longer
    Farcry 1: brass stays
    oh yeah, I tweaked farcry 1 to make bullet holes stay

any questions/helpful comments?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Absurd

I think you can just use r_decals 200, mp_decals 200 for Source Engine games (You can set the number to however many you want) These allow the number of sprays/bullet holes to appear before they start to disappear.

Self

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Self

cheers Absurd, do you know what the max setting is? also, brass and bullet holes are seperate, think brass is a physics object, not a decal. but thanks for post :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.