Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

YAOSD - Yet another OS discussion (Linux)

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

I know pretty much where people are with PC/Mac -- but how many users out there use Linux?

I took my MSI Wind yesterday and Linux'd it up -- wiped the partition clean, compiled a driver for the wireless and it is probably the best decision I have ever made -- its faster, more energy efficient, and has a boot time of about half that of Windows. It runs everything I need, and since I'm not bad with WINE, anything I would or could miss runs well, such as Guitar Pro and Sibelius.

I'm on Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.1, should you be interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The only thing really running half linux would have to be my PS3, most people around here like you said have a Pc or mac.
    But I`m looking into a Netbook which runs on linux.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Jayge_

I have an Ubuntu partition, but I don't have the time nor the energy to maintain any vested interest in another Linux distro. Although I would love to. *sigh*

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I used it for a while. I've still got ubuntu installed on my hard drive, but it just became more convenient to just use windows, rather than switching every time I wanted to use it for game, or something else only on windows.

SimpleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SimpleBear

Aren't the MSI Wind SSD - which is one of the reasons why they're more power efficient?

I've had Ubuntu for a few months, but went back to Windows. It does what I need, but a good chunk of me still wants gaming and the familiartiy environment that Windows provide.

I am thinking about going Mac OSX in the future for my web developments.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By xruntime

Ubuntu is great for people who want a free and fast operating system for surfing the web, doing work, word processing, etc. 

Gaming requires me to keep Windows, an operating system that is more or less equally capable. 

I think a Mac is no better than Ubuntu and just includes a bunch of flashiness. If you want to get work done, a Mac isn't going to do it any better than Windows. 

I think people need to put less eye candy in this operating systems and just make it run fast with little overhead. 
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lashe

To be fair linux is open to a lot of customisation and can look damned nice if you put the effort into it. Compiz has some gorgeous effects.

And actually, no, the Wind isn't SSD -- it's an 80GB SATA which is a godsend as I was able to up that to a 320GB 7200RPM, as well as throw in another gig of RAM.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

windows all the way baby. it's naff but you have the power so to speak plus mos of the crashing is actually your fault although you can't actually really be blamed for it

GP1Mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GP1Mil

I have started to fully drop Windows, finally with my MacBook Pro and using Ubuntu. I have gone through a ton of Unix and Linux distros like Fedora, PC-BSD, Xbuntu and Damn Small Linux which is currently loaded on my ASUS EEE PC. Ubuntu is probably the best option for beginers as they have pretty much complied everything in the package in which a person would need like Wireless drivers and DVD playback codecs.

WINE is getting better and better with each release, i have STEAM running on it with most Source games playable and all of iD software works like Enemy Territory Quake Wars. Once they finally hit it on the head I think I'll fully switched over to Linux and run WINE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.