Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC loses contact with HDD and does not return w/out restart

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I have been having this issue with my F: drive the third and most recent HDD I installed into my computer. However lately for whatever reason whenever I put my computer into sleep mode or sometimes even lock my account if i'm leaving the room it will just forget the F: drive is even there and I have to do a reset to get it to come back.

I did a HDD health check and everything checked out. I've also tried changing the power cables to see if the drive was just hooked up to a bad connector but had no luck.

It's driving me nuts and I can't seem to find any information on this issue.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faulty sata port or cable? Try switching its port/cable with another.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Faulty sata port or cable? Try switching its port/cable with another.

He said he already changed the cables.

I would see if there is a BIOS update for this motherboard and go from there.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: He only said "power", but he did say "cables", so it's a bit ambiguous really.

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Flux

Did some digging and found a updater utility for my MOBO, for whatever reason it's all in Japanese but I was able to update my BIOS. I was 2 versions behind the current, so hopefully that will solve my issue. Thanks @mike

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sqrabbit

Might need a FW update for your HDD also. A short term workaround you could try is setting the HDD (assuming it's Windows) so that it never powers down and see if the problem goes away.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Check your link power management settings in the UEFI/BIOS. It might be powering down and not responding to the startup, presumably your on a desktop PC so disabling it won't really have any impact (it's basically there for laptop battery savings).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.