Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Mouse cursor turns into black square/weird line symbol randomly

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I've had this happen before also, but the laptop I was having the problem on lost it's board shortly after. If I had to start somewhere Id check for any background processes that might be causing it or Chrome extensions. Also you can always try reinstalling the drivers for the mouse.

Panther2103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

On my old computer certain games could trigger this to happen but it was a weird arrow with a messed up top. Could never really figure out what caused it, but hasn't happened since I built my new PC.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Do you by any chance have an AMD card? I remember when I had an AMD card I'd get a lot of weird cursor issues when playing Dota, and it was a pretty well known issue.

Koala__1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Koala__1010

@fredddi43 said:

So, just recently my PC started randomly turning my mouse cursor into this hideous black square on text fields, and this even weirder line shape everywhere else (apologies for the image quality, apparently the cursor autohides if you take a screenshot on Windows? Had to take them with my phone). It seems to mostly start when using Chrome, but will persist until a reboot. The crazy thing is, it"s only on one monitor. I have a triple screen setup, and on either of the the other 2 screens, the cursor will turn back into a normal mouse pointer. Is my machine haunted, and how do I bust this cursor ghost? Edit: Forgot to mention: Im on Windows 19 64bit. New machine I built a month ago, fairly recent fresh install of the OS.

Got the same problem http://prntscr.com/cn611i RX 480 aswell must be something to do with the drivers. Got a temp fix http://prntscr.com/cn61h5 if you enable pointer trails it seems to do the trick

-Regards Koala

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By korwin
    audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By audiosnow

For future archeologists with cursor issues:

Your cursor is normally rendered by the GPU (hardware rendering), and enabling cursor trails forces it to be rendered by your CPU (software rendering). Enable that option and see if it fixes the issue. If it does, it's probably a problem with your graphics driver, or, less likely, your graphics card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.