Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

First ever PC Build

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So for the last year I've been all set just waiting to hit that preorder button for the PS5. That was until NVIDIA announced their new Graphics cards.

Up until a few days ago I hadn't even considered building a PC or what it entailed.

I've been educating myself quite a bit over that time and I am pretty sure I want to ditch the consoles for now at least u till there is some decent exclusives like a God of War 2.

So I want to build it around a RTX 3070. IF I can get one. From what I have garnered it seems that these new cards will be pretty tricky to get hold of at launch?

Outside if that it seems I'll be going for an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU (or 3600X, is there much of a difference?)

Beyond that other than 16GB (2x8GB) Memory I am pretty open to advice. I want to try and keep the build as close to £1000 as possible.

I've come up with this so far. Any advice or areas I can reduce cost?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HvCvHB

Additionally I plan on using my TV as a monitor. Do these stats look okay? Obviously I'll be restricted to 120fps but that should be plenty for me at this stage and the trade kf of being able to play some content in 4k and on a 55" screen outweighs buying a 144hz panel just now.

Apologies for the wordy updates. Its copy and pasted from Rtings.com

Samsung NU8000

Variable Refresh Rate

Native Refresh Rate

120 Hz (except 49")

Variable Refresh Rate

Yes

HDMI Forum VRR

Yes

FreeSync

Yes

G-SYNC Compatible

No

4k VRR Maximum

60 Hz

4k VRR Minimum

48 Hz

1080p VRR Maximum

120 Hz

1080p VRR Minimum

< 20 Hz

1440p VRR Maximum

120 Hz

1440p VRR Minimum

< 20 Hz

VRR Supported Connectors

HDMI

The NU8000 does not support FreeSync from our Radeon RX 580 GPU. We tried various combinations of game mode, PC mode, input refresh rates, etc., and FreeSync was never detected as supported.

Update 05/23/2018: Firmware version 1103 has added FreeSync support.

Update 06/08/2018: FreeSync has been tested and the score has been updated. FreeSync was supported from our Xbox One S and our Radeon RX 580 GPU, in 1080p, 1440p and 4k resolutions. FreeSync is activated by enabling the TV's Game mode and FreeSync settings; PC mode is not required. We tested in Ultimate mode because it has the widest range, and we only recommend Basic mode when you experience problems with Ultimate.

Update 10/26/2018: We have received confirmation that the 49" NU8000 does support FreeSync. Since it has a 60 Hz panel, the 1080p VRR range is limited to 60 Hz.

LEARN ABOUT VARIABLE REFRESH RATE

INPUTS

Input Lag

1080p @ 60 Hz

18.1 ms

1080p @ 60 Hz Outside Game Mode

72.5 ms

1440p @ 60 Hz

N/A

4k @ 60 Hz

17.8 ms

4k @ 60 Hz + 10 bit HDR

18.4 ms

4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4

16.7 ms

4k @ 60 Hz Outside Game Mode

57.5 ms

4k @ 60 Hz With Interpolation

23.8 ms

8k @ 60 Hz

N/A

1080p @ 120 Hz

10.6 ms

1440p @ 120 Hz

9.7 ms

4k @ 120 Hz

N/A

1080p with Variable Refresh Rate

6.3 ms

1440p with VRR

6.5 ms

4k with VRR

15.1 ms

8k with VRR

N/A

Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)

Yes

1440p @ 120 Hz: 9.7 ms

Excellent low input lag, good enough for even competitive console gaming. This input lag is lower than last year's Samsung TVs like the MU8000, and lower than many current Sony TVs like the X900F, but is slightly worse than many TCL TVs like the P607.

The NU8000 has a new 'Game Motion Plus' feature, which adds motion interpolation (soap opera effect) without adding too much input lag; this feature is useful when gaming on older consoles that can only output 30 fps, or for games that have frequent framerate dips. The 'Judder Reduction' slider interpolates content up to 60 fps, while the 'Blur Reduction' slider interpolates up to 120 fps. When 'Blur Reduction' is used the input lag for 4k increases from 23.8 ms to 29.3 ms, but this increase shouldn't be noticeable during gaming.

Update 04/24/2018: The NU8000 and the Samsung 2018 QLEDs added support for Auto Game Mode. When it is enabled from the input menu the TV will automatically switch to Game Mode when it detects a game being played on a console. We tested it on a PS4 and Xbox One S and it worked perfectly.

Update 06/08/2018: The input lag with VRR has been tested and added to the review.

Update 06/11/2018: 1440p @ 120 Hz performance has improved as of firmware version 1103. The 1440p @ 120 Hz input lag is now 9.7 ms, down from 24.8 ms.

LEARN ABOUT INPUT LAG

Supported Resolutions

1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4

Yes

1080p @ 120 Hz

Yes (native support)

1440p @ 60 Hz

No

1440p @ 120 Hz

Yes (native support)

4k @ 60 Hz

Yes

4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4

Yes

4k @ 120 Hz

No

8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz

No

8k @ 60 Hz

No

Most common resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 color is only supported when 'HDMI UHD Color' is enabled (aka HDMI 2.0 full bandwidth). New this year is 1080p @ 120 Hz @ 4:4:4 support, which is useful when using the TV as a PC monitor. 1440p @ 120 Hz is also supported, but 4:4:4 color isn't displayed properly. Oddly enough, 1440p @ 60 Hz isn't supported, not even when using a custom resolution from a PC.

4:4:4 chroma subsampling is only shown properly when the input's icon is set to 'PC' (aka PC mode). This unfortunately isn't possible for some input refresh rates such as 24 Hz; in these cases the icon changes to PC as normal but PC mode isn't applied, as evidenced by the improper 4:4:4 color resolution and some settings not being greyed out as they should be.

Thanks everyone.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@hughesie27: TV gaming has some advantages, but the availability of variable refresh rates has generally not been one of them. According to that write-up, the VRR on your TV only works at 4k up to 60Hz, so anything beyond that wouldn't allow for VRR and you'd get screen tearing unless you set v-sync to cap the frame rate at 60. Considering that the TV you're using is FreeSync but not GSync compatible, and the 3070 cannot realistically be expected to consistently push out 4k/120 (a 3080 may be able to do this in some well-optimized games), you will likely fall into this scenario. Even a consistent 4k/60 with ray tracing on may be a struggle for a 3070. The cards are not out until October, so no one has any early benchmarks out yet.

It may be worth waiting to see what AMD is going to be offering up with their new RDNA2-based GPUs before going all out to find and build around a 3070. You may well find that the AMD offerings are not as powerful or compelling as the Nvidia ones (a pretty consistent reality for quite a while), but the RX5000-series were generally well-received, and showed solid-enough performance on non-ray-traced applications (since it didn't do ray tracing) to suggest that it's a good base to build on. If they can come out with a card that will generally consistently do 4k/60 with ray tracing, but may dip a bit below it now and again, that would be the ideal scenario for utilizing VRR on your TV, if you're interested in doing so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.