Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Cable to power graphics card?

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been having a bit of a Mendela Effect moment.

I recently bought a 2070 Super to upgrade from the 970 that came with my PC. I noticed that it didn't come with the 6 pin or 8 pin power cords required, my 970 was already hooked up to an 8 pin on the mobo, so I just needed to buy a 6 pin separately . No big deal or so I thought.

I've tried Fry's, Newegg, Microcenter, BestBuy, Amazon and no one seems to sell the 6 pin male to male cable I apparently need. Even using quotation marks to exact phrase search, even using Google site: instead of each stores' own search bar, the results either come back 6 to 8 pin adapter, 6 pin male to female, or 8 pin male to dual 6 pin male.

The only result I found was a French website thatd ship it over a month away, and a third party seller on Amazon/Newegg with 30% positive feedback.

It's like this cable doesn't exist. Not under parts and accessories on the graphics cards site (MSI), nor the dekdtops site (ASUS ROG) ,

Am I making a big mistake like thinking of the wrong cable, or why has my desperate search made me feel like I'm in one of those dreams where you can't scream?!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You want a PCIe Power Cable/Adaptor. If you can't find the 6 pin model you need, most 8 pin variants come as a 6+2 pin combo, so you just don't use the +2 part.

You want something like this or a SATA version, though it's better to use molex.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks a million

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilnatureboyx: I might be wrong but maybe one of the reasons why you're not finding these easily is because more often than not when you buy a Power Source it will already come with several of these combination types or a couple six and eight pin molex connections for SLI.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been buying cables like this from CableMod. Can't complain with their service.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming this was bumped for marketing reasons but:

I swear something had to have changed on this front. Order months ago my PSU died (might have been the day the Terraria update dropped?) and I had to switch to a backup. No issues. Week later I got a new PSU (said backup is like ten years old...) and spent the better part of the day trying to figure out what I screwed up.

Evidently the 6+2 pin connector has the exact same port configuration but won't provide enough power and I had to use two 4 pin connectors. While I won't rule out this may be why said PSU failed I swear that has never been an issue in decades of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.