Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Is Overwatch over-hyped?

• 99 results
    GamerFiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm just curious to get some feedback. I tried the open beta of the new game from Blizzard, and it is indeed incredible.

But if I was fully honest with myself - it felt like I was playing Team Fortress 2 all over again. Just with new enhancements and characters and "real" locations.

Did anyone else get this vibe? Or am I just crazy and can't see that Overwatch is entirely different?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried the open beta of the new game from Blizzard, and it is indeed incredible.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When titles make no sense relative to the content of their post. Overwatch is fine, it's a Blizzard game and competent; that's enough for it to do absurdly well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Probably a little. I dunno if it'll be the next big FPS everyone plays, but it's awesome, and I'm sure it'll do well.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigsocrates

Anyone with a PC, PS4 or Xbox One got a chance to try it this weekend and formulate their own opinion. It was the whole game too, no content held back.

It's hard to call something overhyped when anyone interested has had a chance to play it. It shows how confident Blizzard is in the game, but also...how can you call something "hyped" when almost nobody is relying on the impressions of other people?

If you played the Beta you have an excellent idea of what Overwatch is and how good it is. Therefore it is pretty appropriately hyped at this point.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zeik

I thought it was until played it. (At least from my perspective.) If they can make me legitimately enjoy a team-based shooter they deserve a respectable amount of hype.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't use the word "incredible" yet, but first impressions are strong. With a few balance tweaks and some new game modes this will undoubtedly have legs like every other Blizzard game.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Overwatch was over before it got to the overture

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By MindBullet

They've done an incredible job advertising this thing over an extended period of time. I think it might be a tad excessive at times, but it's pretty easy to understand why. It's a solid, pretty game with excellent media presence and name recognition. It could be a case like Bioshock Infinite (too much hype soured many experiences post-launch), but I think it will ultimately work in it's favor.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering almost every game I've played in the last year has been broken in some major ways, Overwatch is fucking great.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

@mindbullet said:

They've done an incredible job advertising this thing over an extended period of time. I think it might be a tad excessive at times, but it's pretty easy to understand why. It's a solid, pretty game with excellent media presence and name recognition. It could be a case like Bioshock Infinite (too much hype soured many experiences post-launch), but I think it will ultimately work in it's favor.

I don't think you can really compare it to Bioshock Infinite. That was a game with a predecessor to build up expectations, pre-release promises that weren't kept, and most of all, an experience that was largely unknown to the public prior to launch. Overwatch is a known quantity by now. If you don't know exactly what the game is or whether you will enjoy it you probably didn't make the effort to find out.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a whole lot of TF2 and I agree they feel pretty damn similar. The match types and overtime seem to be almost carbon copies of TF2 types, even the type where you push a cart by standing near it is called payload. Junkrat, Parah, and Mercy are obviously strongly influenced by the demoman, soldier, and medic respectively.

I still love the game though, the main reason I stopped playing TF2 in the first place was because I had to jump through too many hoops to find a decent server with people playing so a slightly different flavor of that works great for me.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's perhaps the first class-team-based game coming out since TF2 that is not showing signs of crashing and burning shortly after release. That's enough to get me excited. If Blizzard keeps up support for the game (which it likely will), OW has a strong potential to be one of the next big MP games. Fortunately enough, I don't think TF2 is going anywhere though, so it'll be nice to have the choice.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel like they're marketing it just like any big developer would with a new IP that they're confident it, and any hype I've felt is just from the users here that have played it. I guess I don't go to many other sites, though, so take my post with a grain of salt. From the amount of time I've played it, it has lived up to whatever hype it has built up.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrainScratch

Yes.

I've been trying to avoid the word "overhyped" because people will get all like "you just say that because you don't like it". Or because, just like it happened on this thread, people think that if something is considered overhyped it's because it's a bad game, which isn't true.

I don't really care about Overwatch, it's not my type of game, I don't have a positive nor a negative view about it (even though I enjoyed way more of TF2 than I did of Overwatch Beta). But yes, I do feel it has been overhyped like crazy. Lately it's impossible to check video-game related stuff without being bombarded by Overwatch content. Either ads everywhere, journalists doing tons of videos about it, people everywhere saying how good it is and how you have to try it.

I felt the same way with stuff like Titanfall, Evolve, Undertale, Fallout 4 and a few others. It's like the guys mentioned on the podcast some time ago (cant remember if Bombcast or Beastcast), you get such a dump of hype that you get to a point where you get so annoyed and bothered you lose the will to even try the game because you just can't listen or see stuff about it anymore.

Luckily, I don't feel the overhype here on Giant Bomb, or ar least not with the staff (the forums have a bunch of threads about it but there's still more focus on Dark Souls III). But just go to something like GameSpot and it's like walking on a minefield.

It's kinda hard to explain, make sense and present a good argument on why we feel the overhype. But I think other people who also feel the it can understand it better.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does 'overhyped' still work when the game has become widely available?

I feel like hype levels were actually super low and a lot of people were just scoffing at a pretty TF2 clone until they got their hands on it and realized it was way better than that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

But if I was fully honest with myself - it felt like I was playing Team Fortress 2 all over again. Just with new enhancements and characters and "real" locations.

This is what Blizzard does and has always done. Take existing ideas and perfect them (or attempt to). I think they did a really good job, Overwatch is pretty fun.

And yeah they are marketing the beejeezus out of it which is where the hype is coming from.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

every game is over hyped to someone. Played the beta and legit loved it and will most certainly be getting it for pc so definitely not overhyped.

I think what you're looking for is "is overwatch a bad/disappointing game in my opinion?"

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it was overhyped. I got some ads for it, but mostly just because I play Heroes of the Storm or Hearthstone. I went into the beta fairly skeptical because I liked TF2, but didn't like that I could rarely play the class I enjoyed because 3 other people were playing it and played it better than I did (presumably due to them sinking more time into the game than me.) Overwatch's wealth of characters gets around that. Sure, some of them are almost identical to TF2 chars, but enough of them are different enough. If someone was determined to play Reinhardt and we didn't need 2 running around, I could switch to McCree, or Reaper, or Hanzo, or Genji and have a different experience with the game that I usually enjoyed. Also, not having 12 player teams helps with some of the chaos that I would frequently see in TF2. Not that chaos is bad and I would love for Overwatch to eventually have a game mode for that, but to start, I think 6 player teams are the way to go and I will be interested to see what they add to it.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

every game is over hyped to someone

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel, it all varies for people. I thought a lot of people talked waaaaaaaaay too much about the Witcher 3 but I never played it so I just generally stayed out of those type of conversations since I had nothing to add to it and went on about my business.

Overwatch has definitely been getting a lot of attention no doubt, and thanks to the open beta (that ends tomorrow since I think they extended it by about a day) everyone's who has been wanting to give it a shot has had the chance so of course there is gonna be a lot of discussion. For my money, as someone who is not a very competitive person and avoids most multiplayer shooters, the fact that Overwatch completely stole my attention from other games I was playing says a lot. Only Titanfall has had that effect in recent memory so when it happens, it's kind of a big deal for me.

I never played much TF2, only a dozen or so matches on the Xbox 360 version of the Orange Box back and the day and I'm not a PC player. So my exposure to a game of this ilk has been pretty low. The vast majority of the classes are fun to play and the ones that aren't for me just aren't my play-style (not a fan of sniping so Widowmaker isn't for me) but the game is tons of fun and it's one of those games I find myself thinking about when not playing it. I wish the console versions were forty since that price is perfect but even at sixty I might find myself unable to resist picking it up a little after launch. So yeah, as someone who is very much not into competitive shooters as a general rule, the fact Blizzard managed to make me give a damn about it is pretty huge and for me only speaks to how damn fun it is to play.

The art style, character designs, and how colorful everything is also does a lot for me too.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed okay based off what I played from the beta but content offering seems very lean for $60. It's a little odd games like Rainbow Six Siege and Star Wars Battlefront got blasted for being full price products and having no single player component but this seems to largely be getting a pass.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Crash_Happy

@gamerfiend: I tend to agree. I had good fun, think it's a decent game but I'm not losing my mind about it. I'm still deciding whether to buy it or not and if so what platform.

Also, whether a game is overhyped or not doesn't depend on if you had a chance to play it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Onemanarmyy

It's hard to deny that the game is fun, but since everyone is focusing on the new games or the battle between Battleborn vs Overwatch, it's definitly getting more hype/attention than the game merits.

It's a very safe game that only includes modes that have been proven in the past, and all the abilities are fairly safe choices as well. A lot of healing spells, a lot of damage AOE's, some damage-related buffs / debuffs. It's not doing much that's new, but what it does it does well.

Personally i don't enjoy the hotswapping between characters all the time and being able to have the same character multiple times in one team. Why would you let people attempt to create a balanced team upfront , when everyone is free to switch heroes on the fly? And why don't you know what the opponent's team is picking so both teams can make educated picks?

It's a really fun beta, but it wasn't 40$ fun for me.

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By swampwalk
    @blannir said:

It seemed okay based off what I played from the beta but content offering seems very lean for $60. It's a little odd games like Rainbow Six Siege and Star Wars Battlefront got blasted for being full price products and having no single player component but this seems to largely be getting a pass.

The gameplay seems deeper than the games you mentioned. TF2 proved that this type of game can have legs, as it's almost 9 years old now.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@onemanarmyy said:

Personally i don't enjoy the hotswapping between characters all the time and being able to have the same character multiple times in one team. Why would you let people attempt to create a balanced team upfront , when everyone is free to switch heroes on the fly? And why don't you know what the opponent's team is picking so both teams can make educated picks?

Upfront, you should be trying to pick a balanced team based on the map/mode, but I think it is interesting to be able to do on the fly counterpicking in the middle of the match. It prevents you from hitting a point where the enemy team has you completely stopped and there's nothing you can do b/c you don't have the character(s) you'd need to overcome the enemy's strategy.

However, if you're playing with random people online, most strategy related to team composition tends to go out the window because there are way too many people that just pick their favorite character and don't give any consideration to what the team needs.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@chaser324: But having an actual pick phase where you can see both teams pick would negate that problem as well, since both teams know what they have to deal with.

I don't know, i'm just not a fan of being 'nudged' to swap out my hero , because the other team decided to pick some fairly hard counters against it. I would be fine with each player being able to swap once though. Constraints tend to make decisions more interesting.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaser324  Moderator

@onemanarmyy: So...you want it to be more like Dota is what you're saying. It's a valid design, but I think it works better on a MOBA where there is one map and one mode and you can more easily have a clear strategy going into the game. In a game like Overwatch though, your needs may differ a lot based on the map (or the section of a map) and mode you're playing which makes it harder to make definitive good picks up front.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By colourful_hippie

@hunkulese said:
    @gamerfiend said:

I tried the open beta of the new game from Blizzard, and it is indeed incredible.

Exactly. It's nothing groundbreaking. I've played hundreds of hours of TF 2 and coming into something that is similar while also being incredibly polished is a rare thing nowadays sadly. Blizzard have hit a homerun with Overwatch

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think there is something pretty amazing about the game since it got me hooked and I have never liked a class based mp shooters. I'm just not completely sure what it is.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't know if overhyped is the right word, I think maybe people forgot how team shooters play, and sadly we might have forgotten what a really polished game feels like. I think Overwatch is really well made with a lot of time put into ironing out the kinks that most developers leave out because of time constraints. Lots of little nuances which don't even involve gameplay that show this company has been making online games for a while now. From the way you party up to the way you can still browse the menus while searching for a match, there are tons of small quality of life touches that make the entire experience seem a lot more smoother than what you would typically expect of a first person shooter. I don't think the game itself is all that revolutionary, although it does play really well, but you can't deny the mark of quality that comes with most Blizzard releases. Quality that we as gamers have sadly become unaccustomed to in the past few years.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

If the exact same game was being released soon and Blizzard wasn't behind it, I doubt anywhere near as many people would care. If you want to call that over-hyped, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. With that in mind, it's definitely still a fun game.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the Beta. It is basically TF2 made by Blizzard. I dont like how people still compare it to Battleborn which is to me, the better game atm since it is fully released and we still have 2 weeks before overwatch release.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Quality that we as gamers have sadly become unaccustomed to in the past few years.

I'm sure it's been on and off before but it feels like the Battlefield 4 launch was what ushered in this age of "finished" yet broken games being released and it's been a stink that has plagued this new generation of games for the new consoles and PC. I expect Overwatch to blow the door open in sales so I can only hope that others will turn their heads this way and see how much gamers appreciate polish

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By paulmako

This is more just lots of people playing it and enjoying it. It's not like Undertale where people played it and then hailed it as the best thing ever that you absolutely must play and love.

I haven't played it, but I wish gaming outlets would stop using a picture of that fucking gorilla with glasses character on every every news story I see for it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:

Quality that we as gamers have sadly become unaccustomed to in the past few years.

I'm sure it's been on and off before but it feels like the Battlefield 4 launch was what ushered in this age of "finished" yet broken games being released and it's been a stink that has plagued this new generation of games for the new consoles and PC. I expect Overwatch to blow the door open in sales so I can only hope that others will turn their heads this way and see how much gamers appreciate polish

Sadly I think that Blizzard can get away with it but other developers can't. I'm sure they'd want to, I'm sure every dev out there would want to spend as much time on their game as possible but their publishers don't allow it. Blizzard is in this unique position of being able to staff a project for 5+ years or until it's "done" with no expenses spared. I mean they shelved Titan after all those years in development without so much as showing a single peep from it, and as far as I know they didn't lay a massive amount of people off after they closed the doors on that project either.

Weirdly enough this is nothing new. There are a few developers out there that are afforded more time and leeway with their projects and the results show. Rockstar, Kojima, Naughty Dog - all take quite a long time to get their products out the door but they are always really polished experiences with a lot of details in the world. Most importantly they sell really well as opposed to these things rushed out the door after 18 months. Yet the industry still prefers to rush than to stagger, earning cycles and all.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's over-hyped. It's definitely well made and easy to pick up. But I have this thing with some Blizzard games (specifically Diablo 3 and Heroes...) where my interest level is like a steep bell curve. I have no interest but try it out anyways, have a great time for a short period, then it dies out completely.

I didn't get much out of Overwatch in the last hours of the Beta. I had to set up arbitrary goals for myself to even care a little about the outcome of the matches. But it should be noted that I've played a ton of TF2 and cared a lot about that game once. So maybe this feels a bit familiar.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamerfiend: well there are few class base fps like TF2 out there plus this is blizzard

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It is the first new IP from Blizzard since 98' (wow, it really has been this long?). There is no way they are not going to push it hard.

As far as the game is concerned, it is pretty good. I played the beta and had a great time exploring the characters. They feel and act different enough to match different playstyles, while not being constricted to conventions (after I actually played it, I grew a lot more respect for the whole pose mess). I don't know if you would consider it "over-hyped", but it sure looked like a fine game to me...

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I never really played Team Fortress 2, so I can't really compare that to Overwatch.

That said, I think Overwatch is pretty intuitive, oozes that Blizzard polish and design, and above all else super fun. Hearing other people excited for it makes me happy. We'll see if the HYPE can be maintained once the game launches and people have to start paying money to play it.

Beyond that, I think Overwatch is hitting something with the general gaming audience. It is hitting the MOBA, FPS, and coop genres in really interesting ways. That aspect and the fact Blizzard is making a new game alone explains the hype so far, to me at least.

It feels like when the Dota/League of Legends cloning market burst, everybody independently said let's do that but with shooters, so now we have the Battleborn/Battlecry/Paragon/Overwatch/Gigantic mess we have now. I highly doubt the gaming landscape can support 5+ of these games, in addition to Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Smite, etc. etc. etc. Based on the 20 or so hours I've played so far, I know I'm going to keep playing and coming back to Overwatch and probably none of these other games.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

God yes it's overhyped. I've been playing the beta. It's a good game. Solidly made, well balanced. But it's not anywhere near as amazing as I'd be lead to believe if I took the internet at its word

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Why is this is even a question. Who cares. If the game is good, its good and you should play it.

And why wouldn't you want TF2 again? TF2 used to be the best thing and then all the meta got creeping in.

@shadow said:

God yes it's overhyped. I've been playing the beta. It's a good game. Solidly made, well balanced. But it's not anywhere near as amazing as I'd be lead to believe if I took the internet at its word

Well that's what happens when you don't take your own perspective only and allow yourself to be influenced by popular opinion. Make up your own mind removed from the pack. I've had to do that for Halo and CoD, the most over hyped games in all existence, which are still fantastic games but some people love them way too much.

Anyway, sorry. Overwatch is good, don't get worked up because some people like it more than you do.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP asks if Overwatch is overhyped and, instead of giving a direct answer, most people just reply with their thoughts on the game and, some of them, hype it even more.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @spaceinsomniac said:

If the exact same game was being released soon and Blizzard wasn't behind it, I doubt anywhere near as many people would care.

I totally agree with this but I also think that Blizzard, and their 25 years of delivering top quality product, has earned it - and then some.

I played the beta and enjoyed it but I don't know if I'm in the mood for it right now (too much recent PvZ:GW2 I think) but if they support this the way they've supported their other games in the past I can only imagine how good it will be in 6-12 months when my team-based shooter itch returns.

...I'm also a huge sucker for team-based-shooters with awesome healing mechanics so I'm confident that Overwatch's healing abilities will pull me in sooner or later (just typing this line has me feeling "sooner" :P)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP asks if Overwatch is overhyped and, instead of giving a direct answer, most people just reply with their thoughts on the game and, some of them, hype it even more.

that's not something you can give an empirical answer for, all this shit is subjective. even if we do determine through some dark science that this is, indeed, "overhyped," what would it accomplish anyway? there's still people who will love, like, be indifferent towards, and/or dislike it. it just seems to be another roundabout way for people to project their own feelings about the game.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything is overhyped. Look no further than a quesalupa. I played the beta over the weekend. I went from "I've heard some talk about this thing, let's check it out..." to "must buy". I found it to be incredibly polished with great art design, it ran great on my decidedly middle of the road pc, and overall just felt like a super tight package. Basically, everything that Blizzard games always are.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BrainScratch

@ripelivejam said:
    @johnymyko said:

that's not something you can give an empirical answer for, all this shit is subjective. even if we do determine through some dark science that this is, indeed, "overhyped," what would it accomplish anyway? there's still people who will love, like, be indifferent towards, and/or dislike it. it just seems to be another roundabout way for people to project their own feelings about the game.

It just feels like people are mixing personal opinions towards a game with the hypothesis of it being overhyped or not, which doesn't really make sense to me. I can enjoy a game and still think it was overhyped and I can also strongly dislike a game without thinking it was hyped. Someone thinking that a game is overhyped doesn't directly mean that he also thinks the game is bad, which seems to be the takeaway for most.

A better answer should be something like "Yes I think it's overhyped because X" or "No I don't think it's overhyped because Y". And not just "I enjoyed the game, everyone likes the game, it's an incredible game, I'm hooked, it does this and that", since that is just giving an opinion about the game rather than an opinion about the topic.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All games are over-hyped.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I guess maybe I'm confused about what exactly we're considering "hype" in this context? Marketing? Sure there's a lot of that, but I do think the substantial open beta has done a lot to dissuade people from thinking Overwatch is purely hype. It's hard to dismiss the excitement as just hype when people have spent several days playing the full game. I mean, some people are having pretty detailed discussions about what they've liked/disliked, so I think we're already starting to reflect on the game as if it were already released.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I think it is pretty overhyped. I've watched a few youtube videos and people seem to be all over it, but after playing the beta I think it's just 'okay'. I believe those youtubers have more fun because they play with a whole squad of people who all communicate and work together. Just like any other team-based shooter, if your team consists of mostly matchmade people, you're most likely going to lose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.