Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Competitive really pisses me off.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I haven't played Overwatch in about 2 months, I play my first Competitive game, we're on the last round, we had about 20 seconds left and my internet cuts out. It took about 2 mins to switch to tether to my Mobile internet so I could rejoin and the game was over by then. However I'm now left with an 8 hour ban..... wtf? I haven't played in months and I never quit and now I have an instant 8 hour ban.

The punishment system is so weird.. if my internet cuts off randomly in the future, what will I have a month ban? If I'm playing for a few hours at a time, yeah it's probably going to disconnect a few times a month..

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

If you have sketchy internet you shouldn't be playing competitive until you get it fixed.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

A few times a month isn't enough to get yourself into serious trouble I don't think. However, you will get those temporary bans for dropping out of a competitive match. It's not weird. Its how these kinds of games typically try to prevent people from disconnecting to avoid a loss and from screwing with other people's experience. The game can't distinguish between your internet accidentally dropping and you doing something to disconnect your internet intentionally, so it has to treat everyone equally. You'll have to either deal with it when it happens or stick to the non-ranked modes. I recommend the latter out of courtesy to other players because having someone drop in a competitive game really sucks for everyone else involved even if it is just a couple times a month.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game has no way of telling if this is due to a legit problem, or if it's someone leaving the match by yanking out the Internet. I'm sorry, but without this system and time bans the existing problem with leavers would've been even worse, and it's hard to think of an alternative.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game has no way of telling if this is due to a legit problem, or if it's someone leaving the match by yanking out the Internet. I'm sorry, but without this system and time bans the existing problem with leavers would've been even worse, and it's hard to think of an alternative.

I don't know an 8 hour ban for a drop out seems overly harsh, couldn't they just lower your ranking or give you at least 2 drop outs before any kinda ban? I understand the issue and it's in every game, but internet shit happens sometimes and like you say there is no way to actually tell.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8 hours seems extreme. When I accidentally left a match early (before the defeated screen showed) I think it was a ten minute ban.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nagafen

Yeh my internet is usually reliable, but I play a few hours a day (I only play when there are events) and so it will disconnect sometimes. Sadly though I cannot play because it requires my authenticator which is tied to my Mobile and I sent it in for repair lol. I cannot send a ticket either as that requires my phone to authenticate me, so I have to phone but I don't have a phone lol...

Though it looks like UPS lost my package so I can look forward to missing out on this event..

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nagafen

omg I just left a game we lost and got a 20 hour ban... WE LOST and I left at the end. I tried to rejoin and it was then over....WTF

This game is broken as fuck

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nagafen

Now I cannot even login to the game because my iPhone is in for repair...

Only way to unlock is my Birth Cert from the council...l wtf?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@nagafen: probably left before the 'defeated' appeared. You do get a warning when you go to leave the game early. If you don't get that message then you're free to leave without penalty. The game isn't broken as fuck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nagafen: As Frodo said, the game does tell you if it has a problem with you trying to quit a game. And no, the game is not broken as fuck.

Namoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who occasionally has there internet drop out as well im inclined to believe you are lying through your teeth and consistently leave matches. I have had my connection drop 3 times so far over the last week and have received no penalties whatsoever. My friend was a fool and purchased AMD and has his graphic drivers crash every hour or so which sometimes leads to him dropping from games. He also has received zero penalties.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your team finishes a game and notices you disconnected, they'll naturally feel you are to blame for dragging a match down. If they're mad enough, they'll report you. The difference between a 3, or 8 hour ban is probably that.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm done with the game now, I cannot even login any ways now until I get photo id, which I don't have. If you don't drive you then have to get your birth cert... who has that? It's not the 1900s, this is 2016, no one uses paper.

Crazy the game says DEFEATED and then I left, then it said rejoin for 2 seconds, suddenly rejoin turned to play and now I have a 20 hour ban lol..

The game is broken, how can I get a 20 hour ban for leaving when we lost? I've never ever quit out of a game, what is my next ban going to be? 30 days? For what? It's madness.

Namoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nagafen said:

I'm done with the game now, I cannot even login any ways now until I get photo id, which I don't have. If you don't drive you then have to get your birth cert... who has that? It's not the 1900s, this is 2016, no one uses paper.

Crazy the game says DEFEATED and then I left, then it said rejoin for 2 seconds, suddenly rejoin turned to play and now I have a 20 hour ban lol..

The game is broken, how can I get a 20 hour ban for leaving when we lost? I've never ever quit out of a game, what is my next ban going to be? 30 days? For what? It's madness.

For repeatedly leaving, as the massive red warning when you leave tells you.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Counter Strike is still pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well someone sounds grumpy.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nagafen: People don't have an ID in america unless they have a drivers license?! That's insane.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikwal: a photo ID is not required in the US, although it does make life easier. I don't know why the thread creator doesn't go get an ID card despite not driving, but that is his/her choice.

Anyway, the reason why it doesn't exist is some would consider a legally required photo ID card to be the sign of a totalitarian government.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like you're blaming the game for your own mistakes.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Onemanarmyy
    Player Conduct:

Because of the more serious nature of the mode, penalties are more severe. In Competitive Play, leaving a game early or stepping away from your computer during a match will make you ineligible to join a new game until the original match has been completed. There is an option to rejoin an in-progress game—however, failure to rejoin will result in a penalty.

Continued infractions will lead to restrictions on future competitive matches. As the violations start to pile up, Competitive Play will be locked for an increasing amount of time. Completing matches without incurring further penalties will, eventually returning the account to good standing. But repeated violations can also result in a ban on Competitive Play for the current season—including the forfeiture of any rewards.

You might want to let competitive rest until your internet is reliable, otherwise the penalties will just stack up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.