Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

99$ Game Streaming MicroConsole Released

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MaddProdigy
    http://venturebeat.com/2010/11/17/onlive-starts-pre-sales-for-microconsole-aimed-at-eliminating-game-consoles/

So apparently this company OnLive has released what they call a MicroConsole that will allow gamers to stream computer games directly to their flat screens off of a marketplace in the cloud, possibly removing the need for consoles. The MicroConsoles are as powerful as a PS3 or Xbox360 graphics wise, but come one hundred dollars cheaper than even the cheapest console, the Wii, ringing in at 99 dollars before taxes. Rentals will cost 4-9 dollars, game demos are free, and full games cost from 5-50 dollars. The OnLive console just has to be connected to your TV and internet like any of the other consoles, then you can stream games instantly. At, I must add, 60 frames a second, pretty impressive for live streaming.

As for my opinion, I don't think this will catch on. With the rise of the cloud (stuff stored on far away servers and streamed to your computers or consoles as you need to access it) there's been a lot of talk lately of streaming movies and games. This seems like a combination of Netflix and Apple TV for games, and as cool as that sounds, I think the feature package isn't enough to pull away console consumers. Friend lists, marketplaces, arcade games, a microphone, a home area, subscription based PS3 and 360 services. None of these benefits of consoles come with the OnLive package, leaving it feeling a little bland. More serious gamers will want the feature sets of consoles like the 360, PS3, and Wii, while the more casual markets will be looking at the same consoles for motion controlled family friendly games.  Above all there's no social aspect to the OnLive system, just the games themselves, and for me personally multiplayer with friends is a huge part of gaming these days.

As for the device itself, 60 frames per second live streaming is pretty impressive. But looking at the pictures, the most important piece of hardware in a simple package like this is the controller, and it looks awkward and bulky, nothing I would want to use over the sleek, comfortable 360 and PS3 controllers.

What does the Giantbomb community think of this? Apple TV for games, would you buy it? Are you a computer game player looking to play the newest games on your big ass flat screen for less cash than any of the big three consoles? Or maybe a console gamer tired of buying the newer, more powerful iterations of game consoles, and you're just looking to play some damn games. Or maybe you think this is the stupidest, hardest failing idea a 1.1 billion dollar company has ever produced? 

Update: User submitted reports say that a connection speed of at least 8mbps is required, and even then people have seen lag issues.
    Update(2): Currently not available in Canada, and it does include social systems similar to Xbox Live and the Playstation Network
    Update(3): No HD for another year

Original story dropped by VentureBeat, great technology/silicon valley news site if you haven't heard of them.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Linky no worky. 

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @The_Laughing_Man:  My bad thanks, works now
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

Until internet is fast enough I have a ping of 0 on all CS servers, this technology will not be as good as getting a proper machine. Further, as a game collector, having my games stored on some server in space is not appealing. What if OnLive shuts down? What if they push a firmware update that I don't want? What if my internet goes down while I'm playing?

200 extra dollars for a 360 or PS3 is worth the peace of mind.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

awesome 

i may buy it 

i love using this on my macbook thats four years old lol 

oh and too the op 

@MaddProdigy said:

" Above all there's no social aspect to the OnLive system, just the games themselves, and for me personally multiplayer with friends is a huge part of gaming these days. "
    WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? 

have you ever used it before?! it has a BRILLIANT social aspect. it could easily rival xbox live. its actually better.its extremely social 
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've known about OnLive since they announced it, and tried the PC app.  Tried various games, including Splinter Cell: Conviction, Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands, FEAR 2, and I think something else.  It's ok.  I just don't know who has a great internet connection but doesn't have a console or good PC already.  There was quite a sizable amount of lag (bad enough to make it undesirable to play anything close to fast-paced) even though I have a 7 to 8 mbps connection.  It's just not something I would take a risk in investing in.  If they fail and have to shutdown, I'm assuming you lose all the games you spent money on since they can't run servers for them.  It's a great idea, I just think it's a bit premature.  Something like this may be the most popular "console" in 2020, but as of now it's too early in my opinion.  Good thing is, they've pioneered it and it totally works, you just need a massive connection. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

I'm running out of ports to connect things to on my TV.  I really don't need something as superfluous as an OnLive box taking up space.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Detrian
    @nintendoeats said:
    " Until internet is fast enough I have a ping of 0 on all CS servers, this technology will not be as good as getting a proper machine. Further, as a game collector, having my games stored on some server in space is not appealing. What if OnLive shuts down? What if they push a firmware update that I don't want? What if my internet goes down while I'm playing?  200 extra dollars for a 360 or PS3 is worth the peace of mind. "
    A ping of 0 is literally impossible, you know.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Detrian said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " Until internet is fast enough I have a ping of 0 on all CS servers, this technology will not be as good as getting a proper machine. Further, as a game collector, having my games stored on some server in space is not appealing. What if OnLive shuts down? What if they push a firmware update that I don't want? What if my internet goes down while I'm playing?  200 extra dollars for a 360 or PS3 is worth the peace of mind. "
    A ping of 0 is literally impossible, you know. "
    That might have been his point.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By p_p_o_d

99 seems a bit much. 

isnt this think ment to be super cheap? 

didnt they say in interviews how the micro console's plastic body cost more then the parts inside?     

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

the phantom says hi :P 

:O it is actually coming out. i remember when i read in electronic gaming monthly like 13 or something years ago about the phantom. but after that i never heard anything about it. i guess this is going to take it's place. i'm not going to be getting this because i don't have a fast enough internet. i only if like 1mb if that DSL. i have steam to play games on but sounds great that it is actually coming out. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

Unless the company is bootstrapping like crazy, I don't see how this piece of hardware will have any longevity with so little public knowledge and marketing.
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By conker

Its still not available in Canada, AND you need like  7mps for the games to be playable apparently. 

Great idea, but so far disappointing execution. Kinda like jet packs :/
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayzilla

next year the service will be better when HD support is added in. You also have to keep in mind that this can be run on a netbook and you never need to upgrade on your end. They will add in their own GPU's etc.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

when all the games aren't latency filled horror even on 25mbps down and 5mbps then...yeah well no even then I wouldn't use onlive.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar

If this concept can survive long enough til we hit the weird time in between consoles again; and that would also be the same time that high speed internet has gotten higher speed, I could see this take off. But even at 100 bucks right now, you basically are trying to compete with 3 other consoles that have established thier mark already/ 

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @p_p_o_d:  Yeah it does seem a bit steep if the parts are that cheap, but maybe they're afraid it will de-value the product if they put it out for less?

@WilliamRLBaker: That's weak to hear that you need such a fast connection, I thought they'd optimized that more. Really the only cool thing I saw in this was the live streaming, but if it's that slow, no way this will go anywhere.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm astounded that you seem to have never heard of OnLive.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By lucas_kelly

Still not convinced on this OnLive thing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

You sound like OnLive is a "totally new thing!!!!!" or something. 
    I've been using it since it came to this country not that long ago and it works as it should. 
    All settings maxed and running on a 32" TV (that's just through my Laptop, not the box-thingy) in 1080p for those games that supports it which ISN'T EVERY FUCKING PC GAME YOU FUCKING NOOBS! 

Sorry about that, it just saddens me to think that out there some idiot think that every PC games is shown in 1080p.  
    I'm hoping that shooting those people and the potheads too some day becomes legal in little Denmark. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By apathylad

I don't get it, isn't the point of OnLive is the convenience that it runs on any computer? Why is this box thing necessary?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Apathylad said:
    " I don't get it, isn't the point of OnLive is the convenience that it runs on any computer? Why is this box thing necessary? "
    If people don't have computers you can hook the box up to a TV? 
    Yes I know, it sounds crazy but not everyone has a PC :P 
    Welcome to the year 2010 where a phone can do just the same as a PC
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jack268

If I pay $50 to own a game I want it on my harddrive so that it's really mine. I'm not gonna pay $50 for streaming PC games when they cost $40 for a physical copy on release. 

But $99 is a pretty good deal if you can salvage the parts in it and use for your PC if you have a shitty PC like me.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

You can just pay $30-$40 for a 360 controller and connect the PC to a TV. You can use the controller for other occasions like the Xbox 360! How convenient! 

The microconsole can be a hard deal but for people who have no bandwidth limits and would want instant gaming, this is fine. THEY MUST ADD MOAR GAMES THOU.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Diamond

Wow, $100 is way too much for what this provides.  I was thinking the microconsole was going to be $30 or so.

When you can get a vastly superior experience in every way for just an initial investment of about $100 more... that's too much.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By tmthomsen
    @ZeForgotten said:
    " You sound like OnLive is a "totally new thing!!!!!" or something. I've been using it since it came to this country not that long ago and it works as it should. All settings maxed and running on a 32" TV (that's just through my Laptop, not the box-thingy) in 1080p for those games that supports it which ISN'T EVERY FUCKING PC GAME YOU FUCKING NOOBS!  Sorry about that, it just saddens me to think that out there some idiot think that every PC games is shown in 1080p.  I'm hoping that shooting those people and the potheads too some day becomes legal in little Denmark.  "
    All modern PC games can be shown in 1080P and a variety of other resolutions.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zeforgotten
    @TMThomsen said:
    " @ZeForgotten said:
    " You sound like OnLive is a "totally new thing!!!!!" or something. I've been using it since it came to this country not that long ago and it works as it should. All settings maxed and running on a 32" TV (that's just through my Laptop, not the box-thingy) in 1080p for those games that supports it which ISN'T EVERY FUCKING PC GAME YOU FUCKING NOOBS!  Sorry about that, it just saddens me to think that out there some idiot think that every PC games is shown in 1080p.  I'm hoping that shooting those people and the potheads too some day becomes legal in little Denmark.  "
    All modern PC games can be shown in 1080P and a variety of other resolutions. "
    I never said I was talking only about modern games though. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64

I always forget about OnLive until someone mentions it.  Shows you how much I care about the service.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
    @ZeForgotten said:
    You sound like OnLive is a "totally new thing!!!!!" or something. I've been using it since it came to this country not that long ago and it works as it should. All settings maxed
    That's curious because OnLive doesn't run all games at max settings and doesn't give you any choice to do so.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By tmthomsen
    @ZeForgotten: I only thought OnLive had current-gen games. Interesting.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Diamond: According to the emails and faqs it depends on the internet. 

@TMThomsen: It was a rage moment, not only talking about OnLive when I go into a rage about teenagers :)
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond
    @ZeForgotten:  The settings don't change with your internet, that's just the compression.  A game like Borderlands (it's been a while since I or any sites have done a comparison), runs on the equivalent of medium settings on PC, and less than console settings.

Obviously it varies from game to game, and they may even improve the standards over time, but all the internet is going to do is decide if you can play games at 1080p or 720p or less and what amount of compression.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Diamond: Don't tell me that, tell it to the online people sending out emails. 
    Again, a flying fuck is not given about graphics in this part of the world :p
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By takua108

Was hoping this was gonna be free, or at least cheap. $99 on top of what they charge for games is not very attractive at all compared to playing my 360 or Steam games on my crisp 24" 1920x1080 monitor.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd buy it, seems like a cool console to just carry around, and plug in wherever. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

Pay an extra $99 to buy a proper console and play a non gimped game without lag or video compression and not throttled by bandwidth or download limit.

o.O

If you can afford the device and the type of internet connection required to make this thing even remotely functional you can afford a PS3 or a 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.