Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Had to Refund the game on Steam

pa21ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By pa21ris

I know that I am in the rare minority as most pc people go, but my pc is outdated to the point that this game is not supported by my cpu and my graphics card is under the recommended specs. I am running a AMD Phenom X4 965 with a ATI Radeon 6950.

The issues I have been having with the game is it would crash right after the 'Hello Games' first screen. I did some research on the forums and noticed my cpu is old and does not supporting the SSSE3 and SSE4.1 protocol. That being said I joined the Hello Games 'experimental' beta patches in hopes of fixing the cpu problems. I got alittle further into the game to the flying stars and I got to see the 'No Man's Sky' Logo. After that fades I see flying stars for about 10-15 secs then it crashes to desktop and I atleast get a .dmp file.

So I checked my video card drivers make sure they are as up to date as possible using AMD beta drivers and I also used the openGL work around some people have used for older cards. The game crashes at the same point in the star field.

From this point, I emailed Hello Games support telling them what was going on with my system playing their game and I sent them my .dmp file and a copy of system information. In the mean time I refunded the game on Steam for the purpose that I can not play the game at all unless there is going to be some support/updates from the developer. I know Hello Games is working their asses off to get this game up and running for as many people as possible that are having problems. I was really excited to play this game but with all the problems I have encountered to JUST play the game, it is too much of a hassle. I will keep an eye out to see if any updates have fixed any problems I have but I am not holding my breath.

If anyone is interested in seeing what other problems the game is having on PC check out the Steam support page here.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That sucks dude(r). I'm in a rare minority of people in that I've had zero issues since launch... Well, technical issues. Right now I'm having a very serious issue with inventory space restrictions.

pa21ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been looking to upgrade for about a couple months now but I am trying to save up some money before doing so.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

I didn't have many technical issues with the game but still requested a refund because all the planets in the universe don't matter if there's not much to do on them.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had bunch of weird issues, but unfortunately none of them came up until after the 2 hour period.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pa21ris: From the benchmarks I can find your cpu is faster than many "Intel Core i3" cpus, which is listed as the minimum spec. Would've been nice if they'd listed what it was about the Core i3 that they were relying on beyond just processing speed (i.e. the SSE4 requirement) :-(

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jorbit

I've been telling people to hold off on this game until it's fixed. I feel like it's just a foundation, unfortunately.

Plus the PC port is just awful. It's sluggish, doesn't run at native resolution, filled with bugs, and the flight controls for KB&M are terrible (and can't be changed). It looks on-par or worse than the PS4 version, which is pretty unacceptable at this point. The pop-in is also enough to make my eyes hurt. Also, try changing it to Low - you won't notice much different between that and High.

pa21ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was willing to take the chance but I was hoping for better. Good thing I was able to get a refund.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pa21ris: yeah your llucky steam offers that, because i bought it from gamestop and there aint noo refunds for me. luckily enough i found someone who wanted it for 40 bucks off craigslist. it was a 20 dollar investment that didnt pay off, and im ok with that.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MGS V didn't support this CPU as well but it was fixed later in a patch. So this might happen, but the game also doesn't run well on PC so it might not be powerful enough.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The weird thing I've found is that this game ran like complete shit with the default settings. I have a 970, not the most up to date, but it's no slouch. Actually turning the game up to high and cranking up the framerate drastically fixed a lot of the issues I was having (which is kinda strange).

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat: I think it was simply because they set the frame rate cap to 30. Once I set it to max it ran fine. Sadly the AA settings are totally broken, so the game looks like a jagged mess.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By selbie

I'm in the same boat as well dude. AMD Phenom II x6 1075T. Apparently the more recent AMD chips are not as affected.

Luckily because of the immediate crashes I was only able to rack up 15 mins of total game time so I got an immediate refund :P

It's a shame they couldn't develop for older hardware. I just hope they can patch it soon enough so I can buy back in. A 20% discount would be a smart move to attract people back.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a stuttery mess on my 980TI, I cant even fuckin play it its so terrible.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selbie: i don't think the situations nearly bad enough yet that they should feel obligated to offer discounts. i would be happy if they just made a conceited effort to squash bugs and performance issues in a timely manner.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

It runs practically at 50% speed on my laptop at the lowest settings, so I probably should have refunded it. Problem is, I'm an idiot and I played more than 2 hours of the game anyway.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When the frame rate dropped to the 20's even after restarting, I thanked GOG for their significantly longer refund period.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@burban_snake: have you turned off vsync? my game was stuttering and I turned vsync off and turned the framerate to unlimited and haven't had a

problem since ??

I only have a 970 btw

pa21ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pa21ris

Apparently Hello Games has fixed the issue for supporting AMD chipsets that do not support SSSE3 or SSE4.1. You need to be in the experimental build for it to run.

See post here.

Looks like I might be rebuying the game when I get home...

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been telling people to hold off on this game until it's fixed. I feel like it's just a foundation, unfortunately.

Plus the PC port is just awful. It's sluggish, doesn't run at native resolution, filled with bugs, and the flight controls for KB&M are terrible (and can't be changed). It looks on-par or worse than the PS4 version, which is pretty unacceptable at this point. The pop-in is also enough to make my eyes hurt. Also, try changing it to Low - you won't notice much different between that and High.

I agree that the game itself needs more work (inventory, more gameplay of some kind)... but something isn't right with the rest of your experience, I can tell you it runs in native resolution (and DSR for higher super-sampled resolutions), and the graphics are WAY better than PS4, including nearly unlimited draw distance (not quite though, there is an edge where the game is generating the planetary content in the distance it seems but it's 10x better than the PS4 pop-in). I would check your drivers (clean install the latest) and overclocks, if you have them. It almost sounds like your graphical settings are stuck at low or medium...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it sucks the game didn't work for you, but honestly if your pc doesn't meet recommended specs then it shouldn't be surprising and honestly is not the developers fault. Even a large team can only test on so much hardware, so if your lower than the recommended minimum and on even older hardware then that's really on you to research before hand.

Just seen your last post, really cool they are working on patching that in but the min gpu is still a gen ahead of yours so be weary about rebuying it IMO.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game seems to have been poorly ported to a variety of different types of PC hardware, but my experience has been very good so far. I have a 1070 and an i7 from like 6 years ago with 16GB RAM, and it runs 90+FPS easily on High. The game definitely stutters here and there, as seen in the UPF from last week, but that doesn't bother me as it isn't that bad. What I DO wish were different, though, was the dithering distance on PC. It doesn't seem much further than it is on PS4, meaning it's rather close. The horizon draw distance, though, is very far.

Obviously, this is the internet, where the people who have complaints speak more often and more loudly than those who are happy (and rightfully so), but don't fall for the "this game is a complete trainwreck shitfest on PC" line being tossed around by those watching forums and Reddit. For lots of people, the game is running fine after the initial patch and troubleshooting from the devs.

pa21ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Not being able to play when it first came out was a bummer because I think this game is up my alley, but I understand that Hello Games is a small team and they seem dedicated to getting these problems fixed though it might just take some time. On the other hand they could have pushed the game out longer to do better compatibility and bug fixes. From what the crew was saying on UPF that they were working on this this right up to the end.

'Rome wasn't built in one day'.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pa21ris: For sure, day-one frustrations are a bummer when juxtaposed against release day excitement. You're right, Murray was quite vocal about everyone pulling all-nighters to complete the PC build in time, hence the 10AM release time versus a more fancy (though less typical) midnight release.

Frankly, the idea that they hired a third-party QA team for the PC version after release is just wild. There are a number of assumptions one could make about that (restrictions, finances, hopelessness, hubris, etc.), but whatever the case, after release is obviously a bit late to be doing QA. A lot of complaints can justifiably be levied at the PC version as it stood on release day, but, as with most PC releases, the game is already a better experience for most people under a week after release. So it goes...

Hope the game works for you! It's a neat thing worth experiencing.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington said:

I agree that the game itself needs more work (inventory, more gameplay of some kind)... but something isn't right with the rest of your experience, I can tell you it runs in native resolution (and DSR for higher super-sampled resolutions), and the graphics are WAY better than PS4, including nearly unlimited draw distance (not quite though, there is an edge where the game is generating the planetary content in the distance it seems but it's 10x better than the PS4 pop-in). I would check your drivers (clean install the latest) and overclocks, if you have them. It almost sounds like your graphical settings are stuck at low or medium...

Apparently it's a "bug," but the game's internal resolution does not always get set to the native resolution. That's why there's mods to fix it. Also the draw distance is fine, it's the pop-in that drives me insane. It's constantly loading stuff right in front of me and it fades in with this terrible noisy-looking effect that just looks super ugly. It honestly looks like I'm running it on Lowest with a dying graphics card.

I'm trying the experimental build now and it's better but still way below standard.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Runs like trash on my machine with a 980TI. Refunded my money, I"ll catch it when it runs properly and is 10 bucks. BUMMER

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.