Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Will Nintendo launch a new (different) portable system within 3 years of the Switch launch?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Nintendo launch a new (different) portable system within 3 years of the Switch launch? (189 votes)

Yes, the 4DS will be out by March 2020. 33%
    No, the Switch is a perfect hybrid, both console and portable. 52%
    I don't care about Nintendo, I want an N Gage 2 and I WANT IT NOW! I am TIRED of front talkin'! 15%

The question is simple. Is the Switch actually going to be the true follow up to the 3DS or will Nintendo launch another portable system during the Switch's lifetime?

I don't think the Switch will be a true 3DS follow-up and I think the 4DS is coming.

1) The Switch is not designed to be small or durable enough for kids to take it to school.

2) The Switch does not have sufficient battery life to be a true portable.

3) The Switch is too expensive for kids.

The Switch just doesn't do the things that the 3DS does well. It can't go in a jacket pocket and it's not a cheap durable system that you can give young kids who are going to drop it or lose it. Nintendo has sort of said it will be the portable/console hybrid we dream of, but seem to be abcking off that now, and of course they ALWAYS say that new hardware isn't replacing the old (they actually said the Switch wasn't replacing the Wii U...which is interesting because the Wii U ISN'T EVEN FOR SALE ANYMORE.)

I think parents aren't going to buy Switches fror young kids, Nintendo is going to see that part of their core market underserved, and a 4DS gets announced at E3 2018.

• 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I hope so. For me, Switch is not a good enough substitute for a dedicated handheld.

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
    NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NietzscheCookie

I voted yes, but my prediction of the 4ds is basically what they did for the 2DS and the 3D games but with the switch. Like "hey its been 4 years, hardware is cheaper so here's the Switch Lite, 6 hours of battery now, slightly smaller, better screen, no TV dock or functionality and you can't detach the joy-cons". Old switch is still there for TV gaming fans.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think their next system will probably be an update of the switch (depending on how well it does in the end, maybe).

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes, but my prediction of the 4ds is basically what they did for the 2DS and the 3D games but with the switch. Like "hey its been 4 years, hardware is cheaper so here's the Switch Lite, 6 hours of battery now, slightly smaller, better screen, no TV dock or functionality and you can't detach the joy-cons". Old switch is still there for TV gaming fans.

I think you're missing the point of it being called the "switch"

Also maybe if the switch does WiiU numbers otherwise no way.

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
    NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fugoy: It didn't stop the "3D"S becoming the 2DS, but yes naming will be a challenge.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If you had asked me before the Switch reveal conference, I would've said no. After seeing the way that thing has been positioned, and the way Nintendo seems to be repeating the same logistical mistakes they made with the Wii U, I'm far less convinced and could see a 3DS successor announced next year.

Obviously, it's never smart to totally write-off Nintendo (they turned the 3DS around, after all), but if what's been revealed is going to be the vast sum of their first year with that thing, it's going to be a rough first year. I hope Zelda is as good as it looks.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

The Switch feels like Virtual Boy: 2017 Edition, so yeah, they'll have to burn more capital to course correct pretty hard with a 4DS.

I bet it'll be well within 3 years, too

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunkulese

Your 3 points are all pretty bang on for the original 3DS as well.

Who knows what Nintendo is going to next. They haven't made sense since pretty much forever.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rasrimra

That would seriously undermine the Switch so I kinda hope not. I'm hoping to see the 3DS/Wii U libraries combined on the Switch if you understand what I mean.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

For Nintendo's sake I sure hope not.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo has sort of said it will be the portable/console hybrid we dream of

Did they? IIRC they were consistent about saying this does not displace 3ds

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rasrimra

@quantris said:

Nintendo has sort of said it will be the portable/console hybrid we dream of

Did they? IIRC they were consistent about saying this does not displace 3ds

Also that it does not replace the Wii U.

Nintendo CEO Tatsumi Kimishima has said that the NX “won’t simply replace” the Wii U or the 3DS. This according to a tweet by Takashi Mochizuki, a Tokyo-based reported for the Wall Street Journal.

(They say those things a lot.)

CanadianMath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CanadianMath

I recall someone mentioning on the Bombcast that it runs at less than half speed when in handheld mode. I also remember hearing it has a battery life of a two to three hours.

Why does this thing exist, again?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely depends on how the Switch does. If it totally tanks during its first two years they might consider another handheld but even then I doubt they'd get it out without 3 years of switch. Ideally no, they don't want a handheld out, they want the Switch to have those sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@canadianmath: 3-6 hours of battery life depending on the game. I have no idea where you heard the "half speed while un-docked thing." All reports is that it will run slightly better while docked.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@sloppydetective: The Digital Foundry report from a month ago stated that the GPU speed drops from 768MHz to 307.2MHz when undocked. Not quite half, but 40% slower. But because games run at 720p while undocked and 900-1080p when docked, performance relating to frame-rate and such will remain largely similar. However this hands-on report, again by Digital Foundry, would seem to indicate that in the example of Zelda some draw-in was detected in undocked mode which wasn't there when docked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@isomeri: Hmm interesting. Jeff made it seem like it wasn't the biggest difference from his time with it. I'm planning on waiting to get one, I don't really have the money for a new console right now. Hopefully by the time I do they will have done some hardware upgrades.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo actually reported in the past that the Switch is a home console first and foremost and is not supposed to replace the 3DS.

Also did Nintendo ever actually confirm that their strategy going forward would be to unify first party development to support one platform only? I don't think this was the case but only the perception/an assumption made by journalists.

Personally I think it will depend on the switch sales exclusively - if they see it to do really good, they will probably not invest in a dedicated handheld anymore (having in mind that the handheld market is on a decline in a lot of their most important markets since years). If not they might do an 180 and put out an handheld to focus on the part of their business that is ...dying slower I guess.

Sources

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-29-nintendo-isnt-replacing-3ds-with-switch

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/58n70h/nintendo_switch_is_a_successor_to_the_wii_u_not/

razorblade79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I want a Switch Micro. I'm not even kidding.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By RonGalaxy

Probably in the minority, but I think handheld consoles/games are completely useless. I've never fully enjoyed a handheld game unless I'm in a comfortable environment with few distractions. That narrows it down considerably. The places I'd be would already have a better method of playing games (consoles/PC's,), so why use a handheld? If I'm on my way somewhere, smartphones offer an infinite amount of distractions to pass the time. There's so few cases where I'd want to use a handheld, so I have a "why bother" attitude towards them.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would Nintendo launch a second portable when they have the Switch?

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I don't think so. I actually would prefer it if they just kept putting out games on the 3DS. That system is great and I don't honestly know what they would add to it to justify it being a completely new system. The portable aspect of the Switch will find some space in the market alongside 3DS and mobiles (and the Vita), but I'd be quite happy to continue playing games on the 3DS. Worst case more devs start making games specifically for the "New" iteration and you'll have to get up to date on that one if you're after it. I don't know if that's exactly what will happen, but it's what I'd like to see.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By MezZa

Impossible to predict until we see how well the switch does. What you're really asking is, will the switch do well enough to negate the need for a handheld successor? I'm a little more hesitant to say yes it will after the internet reaction to that conference. We'll have to wait and see.

Raisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raisu

Didn't they say the Nintendo DS wouldn't replace the Game Boy. Saying this to ease fears in the meantime for people that have the current systems. Bearing on how well the Switch does of course they may rethink a different new portable. But if the Switch does poorly I don't know what shape Nintendo will be in.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Yes, but it won't be a '4DS'. It will be a smaller, dedicated handheld version of the Switch. Plays the exact same games, but specific for on the go gaming.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They will release a new handheld and a new home console in 2020 and 2022. They will market them as the return to original handheld and original console gaming respectively. People will rejoice with how innovative Nintendo is. Others will be angry and claim this is the final straw and Nintendo will fail. There will be mass confusion about the systems, even two years after their release. This will be due to the names of the systems. The Super 3DS XL and the Wii Too. Each system will only have three launch titles.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lv4Monk

Only if it's a modified, more portable friendly Switch or if the Switch is a total failure. Also companies don't want to devalue their older consoles by straight up telling you they don't matter anymore, they'll keep the 3ds going as long as they can and eventually phase it out. They say the Switch isn't a replacement so that 3ds sales don't plummet and in the off chance the Switch totally bombs, similar to the 3ds after the Wii U.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think it far more likely that Nintendo would be out of the hardware business altogether than it is they would launch another handheld.

The reaction to the Switch seems pretty tepid in most quarters and they don't seem to have a launch lineup worth a damn. If the Switch falls on its face and doesn't sell, it'll make it an entire generation and a half where Nintendo has been completely irrelevant. At that point you have to wonder whether they'd even have the resources to develop a new handheld, much less market and produce one.

Even if a 4DS is produced, I wouldn't count on Nintendo creating a system that builds on the 3DS success. They don't seem to have a good understanding of why some of their systems perform well and others flop. Since the Wii, they've definitely been heavy into what I would personally term "gimmicks," like motion control, and second screens, and partial portability that, while making for good marketing material, don't tend to get good games produced for them and can't compete power wise with Microsoft or Sony.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it will be a 4DS, but they must have thought about releasing a 'Game Boy Colour Classic Edition' somewhere down the line.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lv4Monk

@lawgamer: Don't underestimate how enormously wealthy Nintendo is, they aren't going anywhere for a while. Also don't underestimate the success of the 3ds. It's no DS but it was far from irrelevant.

On a more opinionated level I don't think the general gaming community responses are gonna be a great way to judge interest in this thing. We'll see in due time but I have a sneaking suspicion that people are more seeing what they want to see here as opposed to accurately judging the "next big thing". ie many people seem to be getting a suspicious amount of joy from pointing and laughing at corporate mistakes, to the point where they start to stretch reality a bit.

"The Switch is already a massive failure, worse than the Wii U even. Nintendo ruins everything they ever touch!" is the kind of overreaction I'm referring to.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wouldn't be surprised if a revision of the Switch comes out that is more portable friendly. But it plays the same games.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saying the Switch doesn't replace the 3DS is the same ass covering statement as calling the original DS the "third pillar". But we haven't seen a Game Boy since, have we? So it really depends on how successful the Switch is. If it bombs they'll bring out a new handheld and be all "ah yeah this is the thing we had planned all along" but if it's hot you'll never see another dedicated handheld from them again. And I'm sure there will be a more portable version released down the line.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By august

Either the Swicth is successful or Nintendo might be out of the hardware game altogether. Neither paths lead to a 4DS.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OurSin_360

Handheld maybe, but i feel this may be the last Nintendo console.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Not alongside the Switch no. Now if the Switch flops I can see them doing that, but in the process just give up on the console side completely.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way this is even remotely possible is if Switch is a WiiU level failure but even then that's not what will happen.

They'd get out of hardware and AAA games development entirely and move over to phone gaming with a higher focus on merchandising and various non-gaming media endeavors.

I doubt the Switch will be a smoldering crater like the WiiU because while their messaging with the conference was a bit muddled and frankly utter shit there was a EU Switch commercial that was basically of the same style as the initial very on point 3 minute reveal trailer.

Things could get dicey when they start marketing 1 2 Switch! but the marketing for the Switch, not the conference, has been very intelligent what with masking all of it's family and kid use cases by simply using young 20 somethings in the ads instead.

In 2-3 years you'll probably see a Switch slim that loses the bezel on the left and right of the screen to get a bit more portable, can't lose the vertical bezel otherwise it wouldn't be able to support legacy Joy-cons, and that should fulfill the needs of the portable crowd.

The battery complaint from the portable demo is a bit weird though considering any normally handheld titles likely won't be nearly as demanding as Zelda and thus have much longer battery life. People seem to be taking the minimum of 2.5-3 hours for Zelda that was given as a maximum for all games instead of just an estimate for most demanding games. So the battery for something that would be a traditional console game will be fairly shit but say Pokemon likely will have five hours or something much more acceptable.

Also battery tech should improve enough in 2-3 years that again a revision of the Switch would improve it enough to be viable as a dedicated handheld.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.