Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Trading in a Wii U for a Switch...

kill_la_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kill_la_kill

Gamestop announced an great pre-order trade in deal for the Switch. With a $15 Pro membership (which I don't have) I could trade in my unused Mario Kart bundled Wii U for $195 towards a Switch ($330~ w/taxes) which comes out $135. I also trade Super Mario 3d World (I barely played), Wind Waker (Loved), and Twilight Princess (I fell off). I could probably get another $50 off trading them in, so it comes out to $85 for a Switch.

No Caption Provided

I'm a big Zelda fan, it's a big reason I got the Wii U, and the reason I'm rushing into buying the Switch....just to play Zelda (and any other future 1st party titles.)

So my long winded questions are these:

- Can I beat Twilight Princess in 8 days before the trade in deal expires on the 1/22?

- Is this deal worth it?

- Is it wishful thinking that the Wii U will be emulated in 6 years, probably around the time I'll get the hankering to play wii U games again?

- Is it wishful thinking that the Switch be hacked and it will be the second coming of Homebrew handheld emulation god, the PSP?

- Is it insane to get a Switch just to play the new Zelda?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're getting hosed with that deal. Play Zelda on the Wii U or just sell you stuff by yourself.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258
    1. Yes
    2. Christ, no
    3. Not really, I looked up information about a Wii U emulator and it looks like there's one that can run Mario Kart 8 - but I seriously doubt you'll have one that can run the majority of Wii U games well anytime soon. Also, you're going to need one hell of a computer.
    4. Yes. The PSP had some serious security flaws on day one that allowed hackers and such to do whatever they wanted to with it pretty much from minute one. Most handhelds and consoles have way better security. Don't buy a Switch for homebrew and/or emulation (scratch that, just use a PC, PSP, or android device for homebrew, or get a Raspberry Pi).
    5. Gamespot has a seventeen minute video of Breath of the Wild being played on the Switch on their site. BotW on the Switch only looks marginally better than BotW on the Wii U and it looks like both versions are about the same in terms of performance (meaning, it's mostly OK but there are some worrying framerate skips and drops). Do not get a Switch for Breath of the Wild if you already have a functioning Wii U.

At launch, I don't see a reason to get a Switch unless you just want the hot new thing. And I sure as hell don't see any reason to get rid of a console with an established library of games - the Wii U finally has one at this point - for a console that doesn't look like it will have anything worth the purchase price until at the very least Mario Odyssey comes out.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Considering you never used your Wii U I don't see why you'd buy a Switch. Play BOTW on your Wii U. That trade in deal is god awful. If you absolutely must purchase a switch and get rid of your Wii U, sell it on Craigslist or something. They're getting hard to find.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't sell your Wii U, play Zelda on it, and wait until holiday this year for the deep fire sale discounts on switch in time for Mario. I doubt they'll port many Wii U games over to Switch, Nintendo seem to be utterly delusional with this launch and utterly unprepared, and even if they do port any over they'll be comically overpriced.

If Zelda plays worse on Wii U it's damn well not because of technical restraints it's because they don't give a fuck about Wii U owners.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.