Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Switch Patents Emerge - More about where they might be going with this

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

A NeoGAF poster found a new patent application with more technical drawings: [see link below]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325344

It was a massive info dump, and from what it outlines it is POSSIBLE Switch will have the touch screen and sensors that woudl be necessary for the thing to function as people had hoped.

I woudl point out a patent filing describing theoretical functionality does not always 100% guarantee that those features will make it to the physical hardware that is manufactured - but lets admit that chances are very good. The above link from NeoGAF is nice to browse and the discussion while limited does point a few things out. I think I will leave others to digest the full extent of what was mentioned, but in brief the Switch can address several controllers at once (four shown). There are mentions of touch controls , acceleration and angular momentum sensors; and a very limited discussion of what amounts to "headset" functionality.

This 'headset' is described as an “example HMD accessory,” or head mounted display, but this isn’t a standalone display like PS VR or Oculus Rift. It is perhaps, more like a Google Cardboard headsets or Sony's old video-watching headset. Yet, nothing in this patent is clear about any head-tracking capabilities, but there are some sensors and a camera on the unit - so it could fake some stuff.

As some pundits have pointed out Nintendo Switch is a lot bigger than a typical smartphone. So how comfortable it would be to balance a headset big enough to house it would be tricky. It might come down to weigh and size, which people will have to feel out I suppose.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

If the Switch is intended to replace both the WiiU and the 3DS then I severely hope that it won't abandon touchscreen functionality (mainly because its exclusion could really mess up whatever new Super Mario Maker game that is in the works for the system).

It's been my one main worry, so it's nice to see something at least hinting that it's not all goooooone.

If it does end up replacing the 3DS then I'm actually gonna miss the dual screens though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@jacksukeru: I think they mentioned it won't replace the 3DS, it'll be its own thing. Which honestly is a bit disappointing if they continue to not consolidate everything.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@csl316 said:

@jacksukeru: I think they mentioned it won't replace the 3DS, it'll be its own thing. Which honestly is a bit disappointing if they continue to not consolidate everything.

That's a standard Nintendo line that almost never turns out to be true. Remember when they said the DS wasn't a replacement for the GBA or the game boy family of systems? Them saying they'll continue to produce 3DS's and still sell games for it doesn't mean that the majority of the game development focus isn't going to move to the new thing.

They're trying to assure 3DS owners that the thing won't become a useless brick the second the Switch releases, but I would absolutely expect the release output for the 3DS to slow as more and more developers and studios make the jump.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@csl316: Just like they said it wouldn't replace the Wii U?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WynnDuffy

@monkeyking1969 said:

As some pundits have pointed out Nintendo Switch is a lot bigger than a typical smartphone. So how comfortable it would be to balance a headset big enough to house it would be tricky. It might come down to weigh and size, which people will have to feel out I suppose.

It doesn't matter if the device is big, the weight is what can cause issues. Anyway the Vive weighs 555G which is already more than a lot of tablets but it's fine, so to me this is a non-issue. The Switch is meant to be only 6.2" of screen which is only a little more than some of the Samsung phones you can use in a GearVR.

However, VR on a 720P screen? Nah, I am good.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@csl316 said:

I just don't understand why people want to "consolidate everything". Nintendo's home and handheld systems provide different kinds of experiences that stand on their own merits. I like seeing multiple outlets for Nintendo's creative output, and I think pretty much everyone who is into Nintendo does too - which is why this reaction perplexes me. You wouldn't really see a game like A Link Between Worlds come out on a Switch, I don't think. I do want them to keep supporting the 3DS because I don't want that kind of game to vanish.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@snail: Why wouldn't you want Link Between Worlds on the Switch? The consoles these days feature all sorts of games, from blockbusters to one-man indie projects. So quirky 3DS games are certainly viable with a digital marketplace.

If Vita and PS4 crossplay taught me anything, it's that I like playing games in different situations. Maybe I want a top-down Zelda going through my sound system, or maybe I wanna play it on a trip. But I don't want to buy the same game twice.

One of the problems Nintendo had with the Wii U selling is that Japan is all about portability these days (or so I hear). The Switch lets them develop quality games for portable/console markets at the same time. No ports of Smash Bros. or Mario Maker, but one great version playable in all sorts of use cases. That's the hope I have for the Switch, and I believe that's what Jeff's hope was for, as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the last remaining person who uses PS Vita crossplay several times a week, the idea of being able to take my Switch off the dock, not keep my girlfriend up, and play a little longer while in bed sounds awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.