Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Switch vs Lite for 100% Handheld

GennaiosFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Considering the fact that the regular has bigger screen and battery but is 130(euros) more expensive,but most of all i conside the screen size of the lite a big downgrade,has anyone used both and is it worth paying 130$ more for 100% handheld?thnx

flamingospit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both.. I use the LITE when my wife is on the regular.. Honestly I cannot tell much of a difference.. I will say since the LITES screen is a bit smaller the 720P resolution looks a bit better due to the pixel density of the small screen helping out.. If you don't need it I wouldn't but due to animal crossing it became a bit of a necessity in our household and at the time I bought it (start of COVID-19) that was all I could find. If they would of been as available as they are now I would have gotten another full size.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lite is an absolute waste of money in my opinion if you want a switch for yourself. It's only really for people who 100% want to game portable only or want a 2nd switch for travel or someone else in the family.

I'm all for the whole portable factor of switch. But not 100% I have my pro controller I play smash with my cube controller. I plan on playing 70-80% of BOTW2 on a big TV.

The extra money is barely anything. I know people get hung over the fact that it's more than 100 cheaper but switch games cost 60 bucks apiece. If you invest in a switch. Whether you pay 200 dollars for a lite or 300 for a normal switch. You're gonna spend hundreds of dollars for gsmes regardless. Having that ability to use other controls maybe play couch coop or a bigger screen with multiple people is worth the upgrade.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the base switch, but it’s at best a mediocre form factor for handheld use. If you’re confident you are going to use it exclusively portably, then the switch lite is a no brainer.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think both are great at what they are. The regular switch is great docked, but feels "creaky" in handheld mode. Whereas the lite can't be docked at all but feels rock solid in the hand.

If I could only have one, I'd choose the regular switch. It stays docked so my 9 yr old can play games and with removable joy cons you can play games like Ring Fit! However, I mostly play on the lite.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By warpr

We have two regular switches and 1 lite.

The lite is a nice machine, it obviously feels much sturdier as a handheld because the joy cons aren't detachable. So if you travel a lot I would recommend it.

If you're just going to use it handheld at home (because you're in a household where other folks are hogging the living room TV :), I would get the full sized switch just in case.

The main things which annoy me about the lite are:

• No rumble! Many nintendo games make subtle but good use of rumble, which I didn't really notice until I had to go without it.
    • Some games don't support cloud saves. I cannot play Splatoon on the lite because my save game is on a full switch. I cannot play Animal Crossing on the TV because my save game is on the lite. Most games are fine though.

EDIT: I don't really notice the screen size difference when switching between the two. Both are plenty big.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Regular Switch, with this grip case and a screen protector.

I use it more as a home console, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.