Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Based on the rumors, the NX sounds like a terrible successor to the 3DS

T-Dot1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By T-Dot1992

Now all of this is based on the rumors we heard, so thankfully Nintendo aren't dumb enough to implement these supposed features into the device. But nevertheless, the rumors surrounding the control scheme and the ergonomic design of the handheld component sound awful.

Split d-pads are awful. I never used Sony consoles for fighters and shmups because a split d-pad is the most uncomfortable design imaginable for such games. Some 2D games require precise movement, and a split d-pad is a disservice in that regard.

Ditching the clamshell design is ridiculous. I can put my 3DS into my bag when I go to college without fearing for the screen because I know that the clamshell design will protect it. Having to carry a shell case just to protect my handhelds screen is a hassle.

No Caption Provided

I always felt bad for Vita owners because they had to carry shit like this with them just to protect the screen. But I guess fans of Nintendo handhelds will have to put up with the same unfortunately

Did I mention the detachable controllers? If this is true, then one must ask what dope they're smoking back at the Nintendo HQ in Kyoto. Two detachable controllers can easily get lost, and who the hell wants to carry three separate devices in their backpack when they can carry just one? Imagine playing a intense action game, and right in the middle the stupid detachments come off.

These design decisions go against what made the 3DS and DS have good usability. I know these are just rumor as of now, but for gods sake I hope they aren't true in any sense.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No offense, but all these complaints seem kind of petty reasons to call it a terrible successor. The split d-pad I can understand although I don't mind it because I'm so used to sony's stuff at this point. The case and losing the controls complaints though just sound like complaining about having to be responsible with your possessions. I can lose my stylus too, and if I didn't manage to lose that I think I'll be just fine with presumably larger controller attachments. Likewise I have cases for my phone, surface, etc. A case for my handheld isn't going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. That camel is used to the routine at this point.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'd suggest holding off on judging the NX until there's some real info on it straight from Nintendo.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, on one hand I feel like Nintendo always pulls it off, but I would rather just have a regular ass controller and console for when I wanna play some Mario or Zelda.

It will prolly end up being cool. Can't help but think that their target audience is younger people who seem to be more into mobile games than traditional stuff. Makes sense for them, even if I don't like it as much.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All your complaints seem to assume the worst possible implementation.

Split D-Pad: Could be good or bad. Depends on the pad. Certainly there are worse D-Pads than Sony's (Microsoft before the XBONE was notorious for bad D-pads) and there could be better split D-pads.

No clamshell: The device isn't going to have two screens (something the DS and 3DS rarely took much advantage of anyway) so clamshell isn't necessary. They might have a slide on screen protector or some other good mechanism for protecting the screen better than that Vita case you showed. Have to wait and see what they provide as a solution.

Detachable controllers: Presumably they will fasten on securely and not just come off during gameplay. As for them easily getting lost...take care of your stuff? Anything can get lost, and these should be attached to the NX most of the time when it's portable.

What I'm saying is that we should not assume the worst case scenario. Nintendo has put out many generations of great handhelds, starting with the Gameboy and continuing through the 3DS. They deserve the benefit of the doubt. One presumes that they have their top designers on this and have thought through issues like "how do we protect the screen?" and "Is this D-pad hot garbage?"

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd suggest holding off on judging the NX until there's some real info on it straight from Nintendo.

Can I just hold off until a UK games journalist purchases one and runs a lengthy breakdown of its features but for some reason it remains unannounced and they just pretend like that never happened?

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ungodly

Is it time to start the "Nintendo is doomed" chant? Seriously dude, when actual information starts coming out, then we can all complain... Together, as a team.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I think you should wait on the Nintendo Direct that unveils this thing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gorilla glass. problems 99% solved.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11 chaser324  Moderator

@bigsocrates: Yeah. That'll work. I hope Nintendo would be smart enough to not try pulling a Sega Saturn, but I guess you never know.

T-Dot1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets:

They're not gonna reveal it tomorrow dude, they're trolling with us at this point.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Split d-pads are the Dual Shock sorts of things? Because I played a pupload of Tekken like that and can't even play with a fight stick at this point. Those d-pads are perfect to me, especially for platformers. But I suppose that's a personal preference.

And I never had a case for the Vita despite playing it consistently since launch. Really no problems there, but again this is a personal experience.

I dunno, these read like gripes to me and not system killers. Theoretical gripes, at that.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@t-dot1992: Or they are scrambling and have no idea how to explain what the hell this thing is? Nintendo has been terrible with messaging for a long time now.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, my only concern is that we've not seen a unit.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I keep my 3DS in a case anyway, so whatever. Granted, sometimes I'll put it in my pocket, which is a no go for the vita, but it's a small concern.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think we have to see the real thing, the actual device, to know much. But, there are concerns even with the best possible implementation of their concept.

My main concern would be if someone in the household take the system out - then there is no console in the house at all, right? That means everyone who want to have a system to use outside the house or inside the house needs to own one? So will NX cost $150 like a handheld or $300 like a console? And if its $300 that is rather steep for everyone in the house to own if the system is not a phone, camera, GPS, etc.

My second concern is what is the system for attaching NX to my TV? What is the connector? Will teh connector be solid enough to last for four years attaching and detaching it daily even by a tween? Can the NX be attached and detached in under 5 seconds (one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi, etc) - I think a 5 'mississippi' count is reasonable for something meant to 'use on the go'.

My third concern is how many user accounts can be on an NX? Cna I have to a primary and four sub accounts? Is Nintendo planning for this to be a household device for the TV or were they planning for this to be a handheld? It needs a robust and user friendly sub account system to be a console.

My forth concern is, I don't leave my home console on the bus a lot - but I sure have lost a handheld or phone on one. What is Nintendo's plan for when I lose my entire home console and mobile device on the bus? Where does the account sit, can I move my games to a new device easily, and what do I loose and what does a theif gain from my lost device?

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard from my cousin who works at Nintendo that the NX is just a Virtual Boy duct taped to a rubber ducky!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we have to see the real thing, the actual device, to know much. But, there are concerns even with the best possible implementation of their concept.

My second concern is what is teh system for attaching NX to my TV? What is the connector? Will teh connector be solid enough to last for four years attaching and detaching it daily evenb by a tween? Can the NX be attached and detached in under 5 seconds (one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi, etc) - I think a 5 'mississippi' count is reasonable for something meant to 'use on the go'.

My third concern is how many user accounts can be on an NX? Cna I have to a primary and four sub accounts? Is Nintendo planning for this to be a household device for the TV or were they planning for this to be a handheld? It needs a robust and user friendly sub account system to be a console.

My forth concern is, I don't leave my home console on the bus a lot - but I sure have lost a handheld or phone on one. What is Nintendo's plan for when I lose my entire home console and mobile device on the bus? Where does the account sit, can I move my games to a new device easily, and what do I loose and what does a theif gain from my lost device?

Your first concern is legitimate even with the best possible implementation. It does seem like this system is designed for each player to have their own (because it's a handheld.) Possibly the idea is a single-child family, which is common in Japan?

The other three complaints, however, basically amount to "Can Nintendo do this without screwing it up?" Obviously under the best possible implementation none of these are issues. The connector would be solid and quick, there would be sub-accounts, and the purchases would be tied to an account not a system (like with the Vita.)

So I don't think those really are issues even with the best possible implementation of the concept. You just don't trust Nintendo, especially with account related stuff, which, fair enough. They have done very poorly in the past and it's 2016 and their system is still rubbish. Can't argue with that. But there's nothing inherent in the NX concept that stops them from doing it well.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't expect the worst from Nintendo making a handheld gaming device with snap on controller inputs, lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.