Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi's "Wireless Communications"

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JoeyRavn

Since I got my DSi last week this has been driving me nuts. You know that the DS Lite automatically initiated wireless connections when required by the game (that is, either DS-to-DS wireless or Wi-Fi), but the DSi has a system option to turn wireless communications on and off. If it's set to off, you'll get an error if you try to go online (or even use PictoChat for that matter). Now, my question is: does turning it on imply more battery use? I would have assumed that the only thing you're actually turning on is the ability to go online, you're not actually being only constantly. But after lurking around the Internet for an answer, and seeing the huge amount of "informed users" that claim it kills your battery in a mattery of hours, I'm not so sure anymore. Does anyone have a concise, clear answer?

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

Yes, turning the WiFi on would consume the battery quicker than it would if WiFi was turned off.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Axxol said:
    " Yes, turning the WiFi on would consume the battery quicker than it would if WiFi was turned off. "
    Wow, really? I wonder why Nintendo decided to change the way wireless connections work for the DSi. They were perfectly fine in the DS/L: you want them, the game turns them on. You don't want them, they are off and don't drain your battery.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.