Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed

Franchise »

EA's flagship street racing series featuring many licensed cars, police pursuits, car customization, and more reboots than you can shake a stick at.

The next Need For Speed is coming by before April 2023

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Hello street racing fans

When I was browsing through Traxion's website for news about future driving games, then suddenly I found this article saying that it's going to launch by around Q1 2023, oh really? usually, Need For Speed games releases each year's November since Need For Speed Underground (2003).

The last two Need For Speed games that are released in Q1 of their respective year are Shift 2: Unleashed and Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012) Wii U version.

Article link:

New Need for Speed confirmed for launch before April 2023 | Traxion

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

More Underground please.

This press release is some prime metaverse word rubble. What could you do in Need for Speed beyond the driving? I don't know, maybe tuning and some sick decals but that's about it.

“I look at the engagement that we’re seeing inside these 3D spaces that we create in and around sports and other worlds, what you see with our industry is the beginnings of what a metaverse might be… So what can you do in FIFA beyond playing football, what would you do in Need for Speed beyond the driving game…?”

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

More Underground please.

This press release is some prime metaverse word rubble. What could you do in Need for Speed beyond the driving? I don't know, maybe tuning and some sick decals but that's about it.

“I look at the engagement that we’re seeing inside these 3D spaces that we create in and around sports and other worlds, what you see with our industry is the beginnings of what a metaverse might be… So what can you do in FIFA beyond playing football, what would you do in Need for Speed beyond the driving game…?”

I agree with that!

Loading Video...
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 bigsocrates  Online

@isomeri: NFTs! Imagine instead of NFS the game became NFT and everything in the game was an NFT from the cars you drive to your lap times to any photos you take. And you only have to pay a small amount of crypto for each (so a very reasonable fee to unlock each car or take a photo or see your time etc...) It would be gaming paradise!

Seriously, though, there's a fair amount they could do with a Need for Speed game beyond driving. Autolog from the older games in the series, which functioned kind of like a weird mini social network, gives a hint of the direction.

You know how you have lobbies and spectator mode in fighting games? Why not add that to a racing game, where you can watch other people race and challenge the winner, or talk to other people, or show off your cars or liveries or whatever (Forza Horizon does something like this with its car meets.)

What about a game mode where you manage a racing team of AI drivers kind of like a franchise mode in a sports game and you customize their cars and hire 'drivers' for races kind of like the owner of a NASCAR team?

And obviously there's the story mode stuff they tried in Need For Speed: The Run. That game is bad, but the idea could be done better.

I'm not saying that these are things I want or think would improve the game, but they make sense as ways you could make the Need for Speed series more "metaversey" without betraying the core concept of the series. There are others too.

Personally I just wish they'd focus on making a game that looks good, handles well, and has a great map to explore. I don't need a cheesy story. Just give me something like Need for Speed Most Wanted from 2012. That game had good handling, a nice map, fun multiplayer, and some cool collectables and challenges. That's what I want from Need for Speed. Hot Pursuit 2010 also qualifies. Just focus on making a fun arcade racer instead of telling horrible stories or selling loot boxes.

They won't, though, because EA isn't really interested in making good games that are fun to play for their retail price. They are interested in "live services" and recurrent transactions. On occasion something like Fallen Order or Star Wars Squadron or It Takes Two will sneak out, and those games are super well received and sell well, and EA learns absolutely nothing from that and goes back to making microtransaction ridden skinner boxes that aren't particularly fun to play and frequently tank.

It works for their sports titles so they don't understand why it won't work for other genres and nobody can explain it to them.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By AV_Gamer

They seriously need to do a Hot Pursuit 3 or High Stakes 2. Get back to what made the series great. I never played any of the Underground games, but those were popular too. So another one of those can't hurt.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer said:

They seriously need to do a Hot Pursuit 3 or High Stakes 2. Get back to what made the series great. I never played any of the Underground games, but those were popular too. So another one of those can't hurt.

For this coming up installment of Need For Speed, I believe this will feature both exotics and tuners.

Oh, if you take a look back on its teaser back in 2020, you get to see a JDM tuner car and a Euro exotic car.
    EA Teases the Next Need for Speed Game – GTPlanet

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@av_gamer said:

The 2015 reboot is basically Underground 3. I can recommend it if "tongue-in-cheek" appeals to you in regards to story and characters. Heat is a solid entry as well.

We don't talk about Payback.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Somehow, NFS is still my racing game of choice. Looking forward to seeing what they do next.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Somehow, NFS is still my racing game of choice. Looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Understood, so what are your thoughts on the Test Drive Unlimited and Forza Horizon series?

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Give me a Hot Pursuit sequel, I guess. Not sure what they can do with NFS at this point. They didn't get it right for an entire generation basically. So hopefully they can get that magic going again.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Are there any hints as to which studio would be working on this game? I guess it just comes down to Codemasters or Criterion.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

@bigsocrates: Need for Speed: Need for Transactions wouldn’t be the worst video game title ever.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any hints as to which studio would be working on this game? I guess it just comes down to Codemasters or Criterion.

The last time that I've heard the developer for this installment is Criterion Games.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@gtxforza said:
    @zombiepie said:

The last time that I've heard the developer for this installment is Criterion Games.

I guess the only complication is if they are still providing support for DICE on Battlefield. Also, you have to imagine that EA provide some sort of idea of what Codemasters has been doing soon-ish.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza said:
    @zombiepie said:

I guess the only complication is if they are still providing support for DICE on Battlefield. Also, you have to imagine that EA provide some sort of idea of what Codemasters has been doing soon-ish.

To me, Codemasters would be more suited for Need For Speed than Criterion Games because when I've played DiRT 5 back then, the driving model felt much like Shox with some PS2 era of Need For Speed feel in it.

Oh, when I just looked through an article from Video Game Chronicles, it mentioned that EA's Chief Studios Officer has told Polygon that Criterion Games is the only studio that is developing that game so I guess the driving model will feel much like the Burnout series.

Criterion’s Need for Speed game will reportedly be released this year | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.