Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K11

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

2K's long-running basketball simulator is back for another season with Michael Jordan as their cover athlete.

Gut Reaction: NBA 2K11

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

The NBA 2K11 demo has been released on XBL to my surprise. This game has absolutely snuck up on me this year. It's one of my favorite sports game series of all time though, and I may go as far to say it's one of my favorite video game series' in general. Needless to say I was excited to try out this years product, so here's some points that struck me having played through the single-quarter demo probably a dozen times now. 

No Caption Provided

Animations

LaMarcus' new inside game (fingers crossed) will be unstoppable.
    The animation of the players this year is a step up. If I had to choose one word to describe it, it would probably be "flowing". Every little detail like a guy planting his foot to pivot or change direction, closing out on shooters, crossovers, spin moves, passes, etc. all just seem to flow seemlessly into each other. It gives the game a really natural feel and it looks a lot like watching a real game on TV. The individual jumpshot mocap that 2K has been doing for several years now continues to impress. Kobe's J looks more like Kobe's J than ever. It's not just one animation though either. Depending on what situation Kobe's in, he'll throw up a variety of different mocapped shots that when witnessed, make you think "Wow, he'd totally do that exact move in real life". Throughout the years, the signature moves haven't just been limited to star players either, and I expect even more accurate shots from lesser known players as well. Sadly the demo only lets you play as the Lakers vs. the Celtics, so I can't see how deep they've gone with the signature stuff.  

I guess I'll lump the ISO-Motion stuff in here as well, considering it's animation based. So ISO-Motion is the dribbling system in the game and it's received another overhaul. It's honestly hard to wrap my head around every year due to the constant evolution, but this year it seems pretty smart. The left trigger seems to activate kind of a signature move toggle, which when held, makes it really easy to pull off some sweet stuff with Kobe. Spinning the analog stick makes the player spin. Moving the stick from one side of the player to the other makes them changes hands. It's all very intuative and feels, again, natural. Moving on. 

A.I.

I'm gonna be honest, the AI in 2K games has never been super great. Sports game AI in general though has never been great, so I guess it's forgivable. It seems like AI has been improved a good amount here, but not necessarily anything to write home about. The Players seem more aware on both offense and defense, which leads to more exciting action. For example, if you're throwing long passes up court a bunch, the AI is going to start picking off those passes. Also, they will take advantage of defensive lapses rather quickly. In past games, it was always a drag to sag off of a guy and just see him stand there dribbling for a few seconds before he decided to just drive or shoot the WIDE open shot. A bit more decisiveness is nice. Seems like good steps, but can still be improved upon. 

Physics 

Physics in sports games are pretty hard to nail perfectly. It's tough to make two players collide in believable way for example. From what I've seen, 2K11 does a pretty good job of at least being able to seem physicsy. A lot of players crashing into each other are canned animations, but it's done in a way that seems pretty realistic. Player collisions specifically can be pretty brutal this year. If you are standing between Kobe and the rim, don't expect Kobe to just magically slip by and dunk the ball every time like last games. What I've seen more is Kobe either getting agressively swatted, or both players end up in a nasty collision that looks very injury-inducing. New to the collision dynamic is shot collisions. If you're pulling up for a jumper and someone jumps into you, that will often be reflected in a variety of different (sometimes specific) shot adjustment animations. On one shot I took with none other than Kobe himself, he got bumped in midair, landed awkwardly, fell to the ground, and still hit the shot. No foul was called so the game kept rolling and Kobe had to quickly pick himself up and run back on defense. Very realistic looking, and very cool. 

Presentation 

From what I remember, the 2K11 team actually went out to hire a professional broadcaster to help give the presentation of the game a bump up in quality. They seem to have been successful to an extent. Starting a game looks very much broadcast TV style, and is neat to watch. Having no audio commentary in the demo, it's tough to tell if that was a much improved aspect, but last years game went above and beyond in this aspect. I expect more progression on the commentary front this year. I'm sad that they've chosen to still not include proper player introductions, but that's a minor issue. I'm going to lump graphics related things into this topic because I'm the writer of this thread and I can do that. From what I can tell, the graphics engine remains the same again this year. I look forward to the year that 2K builds new graphics from the ground up, but there's really no reason to complain about what's here. Player faces have been further refined, although Ray Allen still looks like a turtle. Jerseys look great, as do the heavily animated crowds and life-like arenas. All this just comes together and makes the game look incredibly real. If there was an option to turn off the player indicator below their feet, I'm convinced that upon seeing the game play at a slight distance, many people would easily find themselves in a panic to figure out why they didn't know their favorite basketball team was playing that night. 

Other Stuff? 

Oh, yeah. Jordan's in there too.
    The menu music sounds good. I have no idea who sings any of the tracks that play in the demo, but they're good. Dunking! the dunking deserves a section all it's own, but alas. Dunking seems really life-like this year though. Different directions on the Right Stick still throw down different types of dunks, except it actually feels responsive this time. In past games, you never felt like you had a lot of control of which dunks you'd throw down. On top of that, they felt floaty the past few games. This time, every dunk really feels powerful and like something the player could actually do. It's a great feeling to dunk this year, and I can't even wait to try out the big gun leapers in the full game. 

There's probably heaps of things I'm forgetting, but I want to go play some more. Can anyone else not wait to see how godly the Blazers will be in the full game?? :P
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

The NBA 2K11 demo has been released on XBL to my surprise. This game has absolutely snuck up on me this year. It's one of my favorite sports game series of all time though, and I may go as far to say it's one of my favorite video game series' in general. Needless to say I was excited to try out this years product, so here's some points that struck me having played through the single-quarter demo probably a dozen times now. 

No Caption Provided

Animations

The animation of the players this year is a step up. If I had to choose one word to describe it, it would probably be "flowing". Every little detail like a guy planting his foot to pivot or change direction, closing out on shooters, crossovers, spin moves, passes, etc. all just seem to flow seemlessly into each other. It gives the game a really natural feel and it looks a lot like watching a real game on TV. The individual jumpshot mocap that 2K has been doing for several years now continues to impress. Kobe's J looks more like Kobe's J than ever. It's not just one animation though either. Depending on what situation Kobe's in, he'll throw up a variety of different mocapped shots that when witnessed, make you think "Wow, he'd totally do that exact move in real life". Throughout the years, the signature moves haven't just been limited to star players either, and I expect even more accurate shots from lesser known players as well. Sadly the demo only lets you play as the Lakers vs. the Celtics, so I can't see how deep they've gone with the signature stuff.  

I guess I'll lump the ISO-Motion stuff in here as well, considering it's animation based. So ISO-Motion is the dribbling system in the game and it's received another overhaul. It's honestly hard to wrap my head around every year due to the constant evolution, but this year it seems pretty smart. The left trigger seems to activate kind of a signature move toggle, which when held, makes it really easy to pull off some sweet stuff with Kobe. Spinning the analog stick makes the player spin. Moving the stick from one side of the player to the other makes them changes hands. It's all very intuative and feels, again, natural. Moving on. 

A.I.

I'm gonna be honest, the AI in 2K games has never been super great. Sports game AI in general though has never been great, so I guess it's forgivable. It seems like AI has been improved a good amount here, but not necessarily anything to write home about. The Players seem more aware on both offense and defense, which leads to more exciting action. For example, if you're throwing long passes up court a bunch, the AI is going to start picking off those passes. Also, they will take advantage of defensive lapses rather quickly. In past games, it was always a drag to sag off of a guy and just see him stand there dribbling for a few seconds before he decided to just drive or shoot the WIDE open shot. A bit more decisiveness is nice. Seems like good steps, but can still be improved upon. 

Physics 

Physics in sports games are pretty hard to nail perfectly. It's tough to make two players collide in believable way for example. From what I've seen, 2K11 does a pretty good job of at least being able to seem physicsy. A lot of players crashing into each other are canned animations, but it's done in a way that seems pretty realistic. Player collisions specifically can be pretty brutal this year. If you are standing between Kobe and the rim, don't expect Kobe to just magically slip by and dunk the ball every time like last games. What I've seen more is Kobe either getting agressively swatted, or both players end up in a nasty collision that looks very injury-inducing. New to the collision dynamic is shot collisions. If you're pulling up for a jumper and someone jumps into you, that will often be reflected in a variety of different (sometimes specific) shot adjustment animations. On one shot I took with none other than Kobe himself, he got bumped in midair, landed awkwardly, fell to the ground, and still hit the shot. No foul was called so the game kept rolling and Kobe had to quickly pick himself up and run back on defense. Very realistic looking, and very cool. 

Presentation 

From what I remember, the 2K11 team actually went out to hire a professional broadcaster to help give the presentation of the game a bump up in quality. They seem to have been successful to an extent. Starting a game looks very much broadcast TV style, and is neat to watch. Having no audio commentary in the demo, it's tough to tell if that was a much improved aspect, but last years game went above and beyond in this aspect. I expect more progression on the commentary front this year. I'm sad that they've chosen to still not include proper player introductions, but that's a minor issue. I'm going to lump graphics related things into this topic because I'm the writer of this thread and I can do that. From what I can tell, the graphics engine remains the same again this year. I look forward to the year that 2K builds new graphics from the ground up, but there's really no reason to complain about what's here. Player faces have been further refined, although Ray Allen still looks like a turtle. Jerseys look great, as do the heavily animated crowds and life-like arenas. All this just comes together and makes the game look incredibly real. If there was an option to turn off the player indicator below their feet, I'm convinced that upon seeing the game play at a slight distance, many people would easily find themselves in a panic to figure out why they didn't know their favorite basketball team was playing that night. 

Other Stuff? 

The menu music sounds good. I have no idea who sings any of the tracks that play in the demo, but they're good. Dunking! the dunking deserves a section all it's own, but alas. Dunking seems really life-like this year though. Different directions on the Right Stick still throw down different types of dunks, except it actually feels responsive this time. In past games, you never felt like you had a lot of control of which dunks you'd throw down. On top of that, they felt floaty the past few games. This time, every dunk really feels powerful and like something the player could actually do. It's a great feeling to dunk this year, and I can't even wait to try out the big gun leapers in the full game. 

There's probably heaps of things I'm forgetting, but I want to go play some more. Can anyone else not wait to see how godly the Blazers will be in the full game?? :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I might have to get it. I liked 2K10 a lot, but I hadn't played a 2K NBA game in a while, so the extended animations felt really clunky at first.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

I haven't played a 2k game in a while... but damn it's really fucking slow to me.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

My brother's pretty excited for 2K11, which in turn means I'm pretty excited to get it for free. I played a bunch of 2K10 last year and am pretty curious to see how good the Grizzlies are this year, they're my fall back team when I lose with the Magic.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I'm curious to see what Durant's rating will be when the game is released. Dude's a stud. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

man fuck metal gear. nba 2k is the greatest series of all time

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TurboMan said:
    " I haven't played a 2k game in a while... but damn it's really fucking slow to me. "
    Well this isn't NBA Jam. Players will go into a full sprint if they have a clear path to the basket, so there's that. Also, game sliders will almost certainly be tweakable. You can always mess around with game speed there. 

@hedfone said:
    " man fuck metal gear. nba 2k is the greatest series of all time "
    Fo real. Yo, I'm happy for you Metal Gear, and imma let you finish, but NBA 2K is the greatest series OF ALL TIME!
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Portis

I've bought every game in the NBA 2K series since 2K3, day one and never really had a problem. However, I really regretted buying last years on launch day-- and at all, really. It was un-fucking-playable online, as you would either error out of matchmaking or error out during the actual game. It was terrible, even playing offline it had tons of annoying issues on launch, like whenever you went into the post for whatever reason the game would experience extreme slowdown. 

After 2K10, I told myself I would not buy 2K11...  

Then they revealed they'd have Micheal Jordan playable. 

Then they revealed they'd have classic Bulls teams. 

Then I realized that if they have the classic bulls teams, they'd have other classic teams the Bulls played against such as the 1992 Portland Trail Blazers (Danny Ainge!) 

That's when I realized I was buying another NBA2K on day one. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Portis said:
    " 1992 Portland Trail Blazers (Danny Ainge!) "  
    Hell to the yeah. :P 

I had the same feeling after buying 2K10. To be honest, the online stuff was pretty messed up in 2K9 as well, but somehow it was worse in 2K10. They claim to have upgraded their servers this time though, so I have high hopes for Team Up mode once again. I hope all the My Player stuff is ironed out as well. Everything seems to have come together nicely this year, but we'll only know for sure when the game launches.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By blackbird415

The animations didnt show too well in the demo I played. There were specific animations that were good, but just general moving around was really weird awkaward and frankly robotic looking to me. idk I havent played a basketball game like that in a llloooonnngggggg time.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mosdl

The PS3 version looks pretty good as well, though I can't seem to make a shot with artest. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @blackbird415 said:

" The animations didnt show too well in the demo I played. There were specific animations that were good, but just general moving around was really weird awkaward and frankly robotic looking to me. idk I havent played a basketball game like that in a llloooonnngggggg time. "

I think it's definitely something you have to be used to in order to control it well and really execute all the super slick crossovers and everything. For me though, having played these games every year, it came naturally and felt better than last year. It definitely is not perfect though. Far from it. It's always a balance between looking real and giving the player enough control. In a few years, the balance may be perfected, but for now I feel like it's a good step forward. 

@mosdl said:
    " The PS3 version looks pretty good as well, though I can't seem to make a shot with artest.  "
    It's all in the timing. That's what I love about the signature animations, there's always another player's shot that needs mastering.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Thanks for the impressions and heads-up on the demo. I think I'll download it right now, though I'm still getting a ton of mileage out of NBA 2K10. I'm totally thrilled to learn that there are now shot collisions. That should really make a nice big difference. Also, I had some issues with isomotion in 2K10. Even in the practice mode, there were a few moves in the game that I could never seem to get to work, so I'm glad it's more fluid and smart this time. Hopefully 360 dunks are also less impossible to pull, and I'm really hoping off-the-backboard alley-oops work in this game. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I wanted to write a blog on what I want to see in 2K11, so maybe I'll touch on a few of those things here.

I'll be honest, when playing 2K10, I totally can't help but exploit the limitations of the AI. I know several tricks to easily steal the ball, and for the most part, I know what my AI opponent will do in just about any situation. While you say the improvements aren't drastic, I hope the AI is generally smarter this time around and that I'm forced to play legitimately. Also, when playing in My Player mode, the AI is freaking dumb as heck sometimes. Like if I pass to my center Andrew Bynum at the 3-point line, he'll shoot it even though he has no chance of making it. I don't want to see my teammates wasting possessions on stupid shots like that. My AI opponents will a lot of times catch the ball in the key and just stand there and dribble until 3 in the key is called. It's lame. Or when you're going for a lay-up and your guys ends up doing an out-of-bounds hook shot that hits the back of the backboard. That's annoying. Oh, and dude, make the guys slow down a little better around the 3-point line. I take way too many shots with my toe on the line, and while I think I'm shooting a 3, it only ends up being a 2. I know that happens in real life, but not THAT much.

It's good to know that more power is added to the dunks and I'm not surprised the graphics continue to get more life-like. People act like the changes are minor, but to someone like me who is playing every year, I see a very distinct difference. Even with 2K10, any visitors that come over think it's a real game at first.  I really would like an option to turn off those foot cursors, so I could really try to fool people. Ha, Allen looks like a turtle, huh? I thought he looked fine in 2K10. It's Paul Pierce that looks totally wrong to me.

Also, I hope this game isn't as glitchy as 2K10, and that they're not so lazy with certain aspects. There's certain areas that are straight up unfinished in 2K10. There's even a few areas in My Player mode where stuff that's supposed to be there is just flat-out missing. Also, the game had a lot of game-freezing glitches and such, and sometimes things really seem to spaz out.

I also want more customization in terms of creating new teams and players. That's something I've been getting really into over the last several months with the game, and it's greatly extended the game's replay value for me. However, there's a lot of room for more stuff. I thought the 3-point contest was ruined in 2K10, and was disappointed to see that the Sprite Slam Dunk contest didn't seem to change at all. Keep pushing with this stuff, guys. 

I'd really like to see a series mode introduced. My brother and I play regularly, and while playing one game is nice, we like to make a 7-game playoff series out of the matchups. It'd be cool if you could do that, and your stats and injuries and such would carry on throughout the series. You can do an entire playoff bracket to imitate this, but that can be pretty huge and time-consuming to set up. 

Oh, and for the love of God, fix the G Moments. At the end of each game, you can look up the highlights, known as the G-moments. For the most part, it'll get a lot of the good dunks, but way too many great plays and things get overlooked.

One last thing for now... Any objections to the addition of flagrant fouls? You know you wanna just body slam dudes sometimes, even if it will get you ejected. Technical fouls should be in the game. Off the ball fouls too. They're trying to make it as real as possible, so why not?  Okay... I can see how off the ball fouls could be incredibly annoying, but dude, there's usually not many fouls in each game to begin with. Maybe that'll change with the new shot collision mechanic. Still, I imagine they feel technical fouls would only encourage more violent real-life behavior in basketball, so I don't expect to see them make an appearance.

For last year's game, I was really hoping they'd add some Olympic stuff to the game. I know they'd have to get the rights and everything, and it's not technically NBA, but it would be nice. I'm not asking for all the teams. Heck, 8 or so would be great, with the trapezoid key courts and everything (though, from what I understand, those are on their way out). Okay, I guess I'm dreaming with this part, but whatever.

The presentation aspect really could use an overhaul, so I'm glad that's being addressed. The commentary, for the most part, was excellent in the last game, so I expect the same to carry over here. Though, the commentators would often have a hard time keeping up with the action, so maybe they've improved that.

Okay, I'm really stopping now. Oh, and dude. Your Blazers are going DOWN!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TheGreatGuero: Holy macorole, that's a lot of words! 

I'll be honest, when playing 2K10, I totally can't help but exploit the limitations of the AI. I know several tricks to easily steal the ball, and for the most part, I know what my AI opponent will do in just about any situation. While you say the improvements aren't drastic, I hope the AI is generally smarter this time around and that I'm forced to play legitimately.

I know exactly what you mean here. I've already messed around with a couple tricks and it seems to be a lot smarter in certain places. For example, if you pressure the PG on the inbounds pass in 2K10, they'll pass the ball to the SG instead, which makes sense. What made no sense at all is that they would akmost always attempt to pass the ball back to the PG before they cross the half-court line, even if I'm really pressuring, which lead to me getting like 8 easy steals a game. As far as I can tell, that's been fixed, or is at least much improved. 

Ha, Allen looks like a turtle, huh? I thought he looked fine in 2K10. It's Paul Pierce that looks totally wrong to me.     

He totally looks like a turtle. xD Oh and from what little I saw of Paul Pierce's face in 2K11, he looks way better. His shot is much truer as well. So much so that I kinda laugh every time I see him shoot. :P 

Also, I hope this game isn't as glitchy as 2K10, and that they're not so lazy with certain aspects. There's certain areas that are straight up unfinished in 2K10. There's even a few areas in My Player mode where stuff that's supposed to be there is just flat-out missing. Also, the game had a lot of game-freezing glitches and such, and sometimes things really seem to spaz out.     

I'm just hoping for no game-breaking framerate issue this time around. That was a mess. 

I also want more customization in terms of creating new teams and players. That's something I've been getting really into over the last several months with the game, and it's greatly extended the game's replay value for me. However, there's a lot of room for more stuff. I thought the 3-point contest was ruined in 2K10, and was disappointed to see that the Sprite Slam Dunk contest didn't seem to change at all. Keep pushing with this stuff, guys.      

Agreed. I've been wanting more customization out of the game for several years. Every created player ends up looking similar to all the other created players. That's never fun. All the extra stuff like slam dunk and streetball need to either be done with care, or dumped. (I wouldn't mind too much if they were dumped)

One last thing for now... Any objections to the addition of flagrant fouls? You know you wanna just body slam dudes sometimes, even if it will get you ejected. Technical fouls should be in the game. Off the ball fouls too. They're trying to make it as real as possible, so why not?  Okay... I can see how off the ball fouls could be incredibly annoying, but dude, there's usually not many fouls in each game to begin with. Maybe that'll change with the new shot collision mechanic. Still, I imagine they feel technical fouls would only encourage more violent real-life behavior in basketball, so I don't expect to see them make an appearance.    

That's something I've always wondered about. Off ball fouls, if im not mistaken, are actually in 2K10 though. They aren't too common, but every so often (usually in Team Up Mode) a guy will just plow through another guy (neither guy has the ball) and the charge will be called. They should implement some moving pick stuff though. It would be a lot more realistic since the refs seem to love the moving pick call. Also, I remembered that there actually was an animation for guys taking contact on shots last year, but it was only one animation and it always ended in a foul call. This time it's more dynamic, which is really nice. 

For last year's game, I was really hoping they'd add some Olympic stuff to the game. I know they'd have to get the rights and everything, and it's not technically NBA, but it would be nice. I'm not asking for all the teams. Heck, 8 or so would be great, with the trapezoid key courts and everything (though, from what I understand, those are on their way out). Okay, I guess I'm dreaming with this part, but whatever.    

I can't say that I follow NBA Live (or Elite I guess) super closely, but I know that at some point they were able to get the FIBA license. They may still have it for all i know. If 2K can get Jordan, then they can get FIBA. I mean come on. :P 

Okay, I'm really stopping now. Oh, and dude. Your Blazers are going DOWN!    

Try saying that AFTER Greg Oden eats your babies.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @JJWeatherman said:

I know exactly what you mean here. I've already messed around with a couple tricks and it seems to be a lot smarter in certain places. For example, if you pressure the PG on the inbounds pass in 2K10, they'll pass the ball to the SG instead, which makes sense. What made no sense at all is that they would akmost always attempt to pass the ball back to the PG before they cross the half-court line, even if I'm really pressuring, which lead to me getting like 8 easy steals a game. As far as I can tell, that's been fixed, or is at least much improved.

Yeah, dude. Exactly. Also, the majority of the shooting guards in the league would not run down the court with the ball after catching the inbounds pass, so they'd stand there until they got an open pass back to the point guard. Easy way to get between them and get a steal. I worked it down to a science. You create space between the two players, then do a half-circle away from them and back, so as you step away, they think it's safe to pass, but then you're turning back and facing them to perfectly catch and steal the pass then get a nice uncontested dunk. It was beautiful. If they do carry it down the court, once they approach the 3-point line, they will ALWAYS pass back to the point guard (unless no one is guarding that SG), then you can try to squeeze between them for another steal attempt. Even with a low steal rating, I'd still rack up over 10 a game. However, I think one of the biggest problems here is that getting steals in other ways is not very easy, and too often results in fouls being called, so it's like it forced me to try to find a better way. 

You ever play Pikmin? Okay, you know how when you pass to a teammate in 2K10, you can hold a direction and make that player move that way when he catches the ball? It's a great way to set up plays, and a feature I love. Well, I'd like to see that carry over onto defense. If you played Pikmin, you might recall that you could use the c-stick to move your whole group of Pikmin. It wasn't like they'd move a long distance, though, think of them as being like on a ball-and-chain. You'd hold the c-stick left, and they'd move to the left of you, but still near you, they'd never really leave your side, but you could still move them around to all different sides of you. I wish they would implement something like that in 2K10. Let'a face it. On defense, the right stick is pointless. It may look cool to hold your hands up, but from what I've read, it's only cosmetic and has no effect on the gameplay or blocking shots or anything. I also really doubt there are people that use the shot stick to steal, unless it has some advantage that I'm unaware of. Regardless, I wish I could use the stick as a means to moving my guards around more on the court. Like dude, if I need some tight defense inside, don't force me to quickly switch to a 2-3 zone and hope they get a stop. Let me use the stick to move over a teammate to help, while not forcing me to lose control of the main guy I'm defending with.  You know what I mean? Calling double-teams isn't bad, but it can be slow to react, and it doesn't always bring over the teammate you want to help. I think something like that could work nicely. I think it'd also be more fluid to get guys going back to people left open on the perimeter. 

Oh, and another thing. It's lame when you got a big trying to shoot inside and there's 3 bodies there, but you can only jump with 1 guy at a time. You usually can't count on your AI teammates to help out much in this situation, so it'd be cool if they could find a way to let you defend with more than 1 guy. Maybe you can with the dual player control, but I think that's just for offense. Honestly, I'm not really sure. It's a feature I don't ever use. Maybe you'll know if that's already possible.

Ha, and yeah, eating babies is a perfect past-time for that injury-prone, old-man-lookin' BENCHWARMER!
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By m1k3

i still ran into the problem where your AI teammates leave you on an island without you calling an iso. in the demo i called a pick n roll, Bynum came out started to roll, and when i passed him the ball he animated towards the perimeter and caught it outside. next thing i know my team leaves him alone and stack up on the opposite side. 

2k10 left such a bad taste in my mouth by how many glitches and bugs it had that im waiting till a few reviews come out before i buy.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TheGreatGuero:  

However, I think one of the biggest problems here is that getting steals in other ways is not very easy, and too often results in fouls being called, so it's like it forced me to try to find a better way.      

I'm not sure if you've played the demo by now or not, but this seems to be even more of an issue in 2K11. I totally understand why they do it though. Being able to get too many steals by just reaching would ruin the game. But yeah, I think I've gotten maybe one steal so far by reaching. Other than that it's been all fouls. 

On a somewhat similar note, taking charges seems to be literally impossible in 2K11. I'm very saddened to not have taken even one charge so far despite many attempts. A lot of them were legitimate charge situations down in the key, although I will admit that I tried a few times to take some douche charges at midcourt. :P 

You ever play Pikmin? Okay, you know how when you pass to a teammate in 2K10, you can hold a direction and make that player move that way when he catches the ball? It's a great way to set up plays, and a feature I love. Well, I'd like to see that carry over onto defense. If you played Pikmin, you might recall that you could use the c-stick to move your whole group of Pikmin. It wasn't like they'd move a long distance, though, think of them as being like on a ball-and-chain. You'd hold the c-stick left, and they'd move to the left of you, but still near you, they'd never really leave your side, but you could still move them around to all different sides of you. I wish they would implement something like that in 2K10. Let'a face it. On defense, the right stick is pointless. It may look cool to hold your hands up, but from what I've read, it's only cosmetic and has no effect on the gameplay or blocking shots or anything. I also really doubt there are people that use the shot stick to steal, unless it has some advantage that I'm unaware of. Regardless, I wish I could use the stick as a means to moving my guards around more on the court. Like dude, if I need some tight defense inside, don't force me to quickly switch to a 2-3 zone and hope they get a stop. Let me use the stick to move over a teammate to help, while not forcing me to lose control of the main guy I'm defending with.  You know what I mean? Calling double-teams isn't bad, but it can be slow to react, and it doesn't always bring over the teammate you want to help. I think something like that could work nicely. I think it'd also be more fluid to get guys going back to people left open on the perimeter.      

I know what you mean about Pikmin, and that would be a cool feature to have. Even if it were as limited as say: push towards the key to collapse the D, push towards half court to bring everyone back out. Something like that would be super useful. Of course it would be unrealistic if the whole team just moved perfectly in sync, so maybe different players could have a specific rating that determine how fast/how effectively they react to your right stick commands. Ideas! 

Oh, and another thing. It's lame when you got a big trying to shoot inside and there's 3 bodies there, but you can only jump with 1 guy at a time. You usually can't count on your AI teammates to help out much in this situation, so it'd be cool if they could find a way to let you defend with more than 1 guy. Maybe you can with the dual player control, but I think that's just for offense. Honestly, I'm not really sure. It's a feature I don't ever use. Maybe you'll know if that's already possible.     

I'm pretty sure Dual Player Control is only for Offense. I hardly ever use it though either, so I can't be 100%. 

Ha, and yeah, eating babies is a perfect past-time for that injury-prone, old-man-lookin' BENCHWARMER!    

You're askin' for it now.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @m1k3 said:
    " i still ran into the problem where your AI teammates leave you on an island without you calling an iso. in the demo i called a pick n roll, Bynum came out started to roll, and when i passed him the ball he animated towards the perimeter and caught it outside. next thing i know my team leaves him alone and stack up on the opposite side.   2k10 left such a bad taste in my mouth by how many glitches and bugs it had that im waiting till a few reviews come out before i buy. "
    What's funny though is none of the 2K10 reviews even mentioned many of the bugs. Everyone gave the game a high score. I think 2K rigged the review copies. :P 

It's crazy, check it out.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By m1k3
    @JJWeatherman: most of my problems came from MyPlayer mode. I know its not what a lot of people go to since it was a new feature, but creating a character and taking him through the league is the kind of mode i like to play in any sports game. And that mode was buggy as hell. there are a lot of frame rate issues during games, especially on defense when using the Turbo camera. after i went through my first season i couldn't advanced to the next season (this was happening to a lot of people). and during games there is some weird infinite time out glitch so during the 4th qtr in the last 2 mins or so, every dead ball was a time out, and you would be subsituted in and out constantly during each time out. 

Like i said, my issues were with MyPlayer and im happy to see that they're trying to improve it. but im just skeptical by how bad it was in 2k10
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @JJWeatherman said:  

I'm not sure if you've played the demo by now or not, but this seems to be even more of an issue in 2K11. I totally understand why they do it though. Being able to get too many steals by just reaching would ruin the game. But yeah, I think I've gotten maybe one steal so far by reaching. Other than that it's been all fouls. 

On a somewhat similar note, taking charges seems to be literally impossible in 2K11. I'm very saddened to not have taken even one charge so far despite many attempts. A lot of them were legitimate charge situations down in the key, although I will admit that I tried a few times to take some douche charges at midcourt. :P 

Man, that sucks, but let's face in. In real games, most steals occur with being fumbling the ball, or intercepted passes, and whatnot, so I guess it's okay. I think NBA Jam is really to blame here, since I just want to steal the ball all the time every play, every pass, every game. 

About the charges... it's also really whack in 2K10 when playing against the computer. They'll clearly be running into you, but will just be running in place instead of charging through you when you try to draw a charge. I can hardly ever get charges called. The only way I seem to ever be able to pull it off is by forcing my opponent to run along the baseline and charge into me, or if it's a 2-on-1 fastbreak and I take the charge right by the basket. Ha, and yet when you play online, people can get you to charge like every 10 seconds. To the point where you feel like you can't even move! It's unbelievably annoying and unfair. 

Speaking of unfair, ever notice how often the opposing team will call a time-out EXACTLY the moment you're able to steal the ball or they're going to have a turn-over? It happens all the time and it's so annoying. The AI can be pretty cheap in ways like that, but at the same time, they do things that would never happen in real life and work to your advantage to be more fair. For instance, if you fall down after a play or fall behind after a missed steal attempt and are running across the court to try to get back to your man, they can have a guy wide-open for a three and instead of shooting, they'll wait or call a time-out. I don't like to see that. No team is ever going to be like "Wait! Man down! Let's wait until he catches up and can defend me before I continue. We gotta keep the game fair, guys!"

Oh yeah, and about the review scores... well, you know how that goes. They gotta hurry up and play through games to get the reviews out, so they probably didn't play through any of the modes that extensively, and are mainly just looking at what's on the surface. Guys like me and you have had some serious playtime with the game, so we know it in-and-out. If I had a week or less to write a review on the game, I probably wouldn't have had enough playing time to see or figure out most of these issues.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @m1k3: I know, I was agreeing with you about being skeptical. I was just saying that sometimes reviews alone can't be trusted (even when there's a lot of them apparently). Best bet is to wait a few days after it's released and then check out the 2K forums.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By m1k3
    @JJWeatherman: ah, gotcha. thats probably what im gonna do.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TheGreatGuero:

Speaking of unfair, ever notice how often the opposing team will call a time-out EXACTLY the moment you're able to steal the ball or they're going to have a turn-over? It happens all the time and it's so annoying. The AI can be pretty cheap in ways like that, but at the same time, they do things that would never happen in real life and work to your advantage to be more fair. For instance, if you fall down after a play or fall behind after a missed steal attempt and are running across the court to try to get back to your man, they can have a guy wide-open for a three and instead of shooting, they'll wait or call a time-out. I don't like to see that. No team is ever going to be like "Wait! Man down! Let's wait until he catches up and can defend me before I continue. We gotta keep the game fair, guys!"     

I couldn't tell you why, but I've actually never had these issues. At least not to the extent where I start to notice. 

Oh yeah, and about the review scores... well, you know how that goes. They gotta hurry up and play through games to get the reviews out, so they probably didn't play through any of the modes that extensively, and are mainly just looking at what's on the surface. Guys like me and you have had some serious playtime with the game, so we know it in-and-out. If I had a week or less to write a review on the game, I probably wouldn't have had enough playing time to see or figure out most of these issues.    

Good point.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By blackbird415
    @JJWeatherman:  
    Yeah, I think i'll pick it up eventually. Basketball has really been the only sport that can properly keep my attention. I play some madden every once in a while and watch a few games, but really basketball is where its at. The game was pretty fun and I do enjoy basketball in general quite a bit
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

Found a pretty rad video showing some moves and how to execute them. Check it: 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.