Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Morality System

Concept »

Moral dilemmas presented to the player that often have a significant effect on the story or other characters.

Morality? Meh...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm Feeling Lazy

So i'm going to copy paste my reply to Tylea002's blog here. Enjoy.

The concept of a moral choice within a computer game has always felt especially restrictive to me - People love to praise Mass Effect for the potential it offers to be good or evil - but arguably the most interesting choices can only be made if you already know which path you want to follow; Evil or Good. The neutral grey middle character was boring and often prevented you from finding out information or progressing fluently through the story. You basically had to pick at the beginning whether to be good or evil and then stick to that path throughout the entire experience to reap the benefits that particular element of the game had to offer. This meant your choices were already predetermined and the concept of Moral Choice, the freedom to make up you own decision was really just an illusion.

No Caption Provided
    Bioshock's moral choices were interesting, but repetitive. If I killed the little girl before, why wouldn't I do it now? It was just making the same decision over and over again. You might have got a little bump of guilt each time, but for whatever reason you justified it at the
    No Caption Provided
    beginning of the game - that reason is likely to exist throughout. There was no new information to alter your perspective. There was no individuality to each little sister, again removing the concept of reacting to an individual scenario.

If you look back over the games you have played you will find that in most cases to fully take advantage of a morality system you either go Good or Evil. In many cases you have no choice but to pick an extreme anyway. If you are playing a good character in Fable 2, why would you leave a town corrupt? These choices only really benefit you in their extremes.

On the flip-side you have GTA4 which manages to successfully involve moral choices, but the game only gives you bad choices to make. Often your decisions are punished with moral responsibility. For example passing on the opportunity to kill the Drug Dealer. The game is successful in that it removes the idea that the decision you make is wrong - but the consequences are still negative within the context of the game. No matter what decision you make the game will continue to progress regardless, but you will have to deal emotionally with the consequences as the player, via character empathy.

No Caption Provided
    Then there is the train of thought - if your actions make no consequence to the world, what's the point of having them? Do you really want one action to change the entire future of a Town, as in Fable 2 - or do you want the super realism of GTA4 where your actions are only really meaningful to you, the player. I guess there is room for both, but I have yet to find an equilibrium in any game which feels fully satisfying.

Thanks For Reading. Real Blogs coming soon.
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm Feeling Lazy

So i'm going to copy paste my reply to Tylea002's blog here. Enjoy.

The concept of a moral choice within a computer game has always felt especially restrictive to me - People love to praise Mass Effect for the potential it offers to be good or evil - but arguably the most interesting choices can only be made if you already know which path you want to follow; Evil or Good. The neutral grey middle character was boring and often prevented you from finding out information or progressing fluently through the story. You basically had to pick at the beginning whether to be good or evil and then stick to that path throughout the entire experience to reap the benefits that particular element of the game had to offer. This meant your choices were already predetermined and the concept of Moral Choice, the freedom to make up you own decision was really just an illusion.

No Caption Provided
    Bioshock's moral choices were interesting, but repetitive. If I killed the little girl before, why wouldn't I do it now? It was just making the same decision over and over again. You might have got a little bump of guilt each time, but for whatever reason you justified it at the
    No Caption Provided
    beginning of the game - that reason is likely to exist throughout. There was no new information to alter your perspective. There was no individuality to each little sister, again removing the concept of reacting to an individual scenario.

If you look back over the games you have played you will find that in most cases to fully take advantage of a morality system you either go Good or Evil. In many cases you have no choice but to pick an extreme anyway. If you are playing a good character in Fable 2, why would you leave a town corrupt? These choices only really benefit you in their extremes.

On the flip-side you have GTA4 which manages to successfully involve moral choices, but the game only gives you bad choices to make. Often your decisions are punished with moral responsibility. For example passing on the opportunity to kill the Drug Dealer. The game is successful in that it removes the idea that the decision you make is wrong - but the consequences are still negative within the context of the game. No matter what decision you make the game will continue to progress regardless, but you will have to deal emotionally with the consequences as the player, via character empathy.

No Caption Provided
    Then there is the train of thought - if your actions make no consequence to the world, what's the point of having them? Do you really want one action to change the entire future of a Town, as in Fable 2 - or do you want the super realism of GTA4 where your actions are only really meaningful to you, the player. I guess there is room for both, but I have yet to find an equilibrium in any game which feels fully satisfying.

Thanks For Reading. Real Blogs coming soon.
    Love Sweep
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

I'd copy my comment to your comment which is this blog in my blog but that would break the internet or something.

Anyway, nice mini-blog thing, you raise some interesting points. I agree with the whole "you can only be evil/good if you are evil/good" in games, with the Dialogue Trees in Mass Effect and the persuasion options only unlocking if you've truly focused on being wholly good or wholly evil. It's so much more game-y than GTA IV which keeps the consequences very internal.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Sweep said:
    "People love to praise Mass Effect for the potential it offers to be good or evil - but arguably the most interesting choices can only be made if you already know which path you want to follow; Evil or Good. The neutral grey middle character was boring and often prevented you from finding out information or progressing fluently through the story. You basically had to pick at the beginning whether to be good or evil and then stick to that path throughout the entire experience to reap the benefits that particular element of the game had to offer."

Before I get to commenting on the bulk of your message, I just have to say that I very much disagree with your assessment of Mass Effect's system of moral choices. When I went into the game I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do; however, as I progressed through the game, each decision prompted me to think carefully about the actions I was committing and how I would react were I to be in that situation. I was by no means such a Renegade as Saren, yet I did not actively try to be a holier-than-thou Saint Shepard. When the Council pissed me off in its inability to make decisive action, I cried "Dammit, this is bullshit!" I received some Renegade points for this, but I was by no means attempting to be a ne'er do well; I was expressing my frustration, just as I would had I had to deal with the situation myself.

When it came down to the *SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* choice whether to save the Council or not, I opted not to. It wasn't out of malevolence, I didn't choose the option that said (paraphrasing here) "Let them burn," I made a quick decision out of necessity. I put myself into Shepard's shoes and asked myself, "Am I really going to chance putting the fate of the galaxy in danger, so I might rescue the four people who put us in this mess? Will I risk not only my own fate, but the fate of trillions and their descendants' futures so I might save four people?" I knew that the game wouldn't say GAME OVER if I chose to save them, but I allowed immersion to take precedent; I told Joker to "Concentrate on Sovereign." And the Council died. I allowed four people to die so trillions might live on. I got some hefty Renegade points for doing this, but I did it with a Paragon mindset. That sounds to me like a morally ambiguous decision, as utilitarianism almost always is.

Sweep said:
    "On the flip-side you have GTA4 which manages to successfully involve moral choices, but the game only gives you bad choices to make. Often your decisions are punished with moral responsibility.

I think that was the point, Sweep. =/

Sweep said:
    "

No Caption Provided
    "

On a side note, why is it that all screenshots of Niko show him with gloves on? Never in the game did I see him wearing gloves or have the option of wearing gloves. Just a thought! =P

Sweep said:
    "Then there is the train of thought - if your actions make no consequence to the world, what's the point of having them?"

From where I sit, I think this line is a pretty accurate summation of the entire message of your blog.  And in response I say this - If the pretense of choice is merely an illusion providing no consequence, there is absolutely no point in allowing players this "choice." Too many games see moral choices as the new "in-thing," that all the peeps sitting at the cool table have. It isn't. I think the trend of developers putting moral "choices" in games is just as bad as the absolutely ridiculous, incessant demand of gamers that every game HAS to have multiplayer. No, not every game needs multiplayer; in fact, case in point, GTA IV does not need multiplayer. Not every game needs moral "choices," they are most often unnecessary and only detrimental to the point of the average game - To have fun. Contrary to the thought of many, fun is not intrinsically dependent on "choice."

But, hey! Sometimes choice is implemented, executed brilliantly. I think Sweep, if he hasn't already, needsa to playa The Witcher. The back of the box says in bold print "No Good and Evil, Only Decisions and Consequences." And there is no bullshitting in that bold claim. Almost all, if not everyone of the decisions "you" make in The Witcher have no consequences that one might be able to foresee. When you make a decision, one that is either extreme or seemingly innocuous, you will later discover what it is you have done. And sometimes, you will hate yourself for it. It's beautiful.

Great blog, Sweep. I enjoyed reading it. Take it easy.

~BB
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I would have to agree with BB with his assessment of The Witcher, it really does play like that. I hope when they bring it to the consoles they're able to keep this level of play and game interaction intact. The story of the Witcher involves politics, racism, love... good stuff and a lot of gray areas.

I voiced my negative opinion about GTA IV, but that was mostly mission structure related. The choices and story were really good, and I think GTA is growing up. The next one should be even better and deeper.

Bioshock was streamlined, nothing to see here. Mass Effect tried hard, but made too small of strides. Here's to the future, let there be ambiguity.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Oni

Whenever the concept of morality in games comes up, I also bring up The Witcher every single time, as it's pretty much the only game that has done the concept well. It's a shame no one has played it! Let's hope Rise of the White Wolf changes that.

But yeah I agree with most of what you said Sweep. My big problem with games like Fable and Mass Effect is that it has this utterly ridiculous bar that tracks your moral alignment. That's stupid. Every action has its own consequences, you can't balance out one good deed with one evil deed, it doesn't work like that. It is not a binary thing. And that's where most games get it so very very wrong. If I kill a bunch of people in Bowerstone in Fable 2 but do some good deed halfway across the world, people shouldn't rever me as a saint when I return to Bowerstone, that's just ridiculous.

Another game that did it right, albeit on a smaller scale, was Deus Ex. It was really Mass Effect before there was Mass Effect. You couldn't alter your character as dramatically as in Fable, but you could make JC a ruthless utilitarian (the ends justify the means), a deontologist (the ends don't always justify the means) or something in between. And every decision had its own impact, in its own way. I don't know if you've played it, but it's my favourite computer game ever and dirt cheap, it's on Steam as well I think, it's still awesome.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

well, apparently the two games to come close to my unreachable expectations are the 2 that I am yet to play - The Witcher and Dues Ex. One day, perhaps....

Sometimes the industry seems so closed, so hostile and unwilling to sit down and learn from other examples what makes a great game - instead choosing to blunder ahead with and impose their own, often stagnate, style of gameplay. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the computer game industry is scared to evolve into something more than it already is.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pause422

While many would disagree, I found both Kotor and Mass Effect(even tho in ME you didn't have a clear good/evil path, you never really were 'evil') regardless of having that kind of alightment, they both all end the same way. You aren't getting some huge difference whether you're an asshole or a saint in the end result. They end very similarly, or pretty much identical regardless. I actually found these games to be very lacking in any kind of meaningful choices for the most part. You had a ton of little ones, but that's really it.

I find something like Nocturne/Lucifer's Call to be a far better game for moral decisions, because it starts you off on the wrong side to begin with, and there are no real destinction from good and evil...pretty much everyone is on the bad side in one way or another, and it comes down to you basically deciding how you want the world to be in the end,  not just "am I'm going to be a dick tot his guy here, or be nice to him?"  ME doesn't even come close to decisions like that.

Also even though I found Kotor and ME to be fairly enjoyable games(and I do like Bioware btw, looking forward to dragon age a ton) they've really forever lowered the standards of western RPGs in my opinon, and I find a hard time forgiving them for that.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

I disagree with your comments about Mass Effect. Mass Effect was mostly Good Cop, Bad Cop. It wasn't really good and evil. There were 3 situations in that game where I had to think about what I did. I did not know what I did was right, or wrong. While the game flashed up "Paragon" or "Renegade" in two of these 3 cases, sometimes it would show both, giving an obvious middleground, and when it only showed one, you knew that what you were doing was wrong (or right) in some ways. 

Yeah, that's a shameless quote from my comment on Tylea002's blog, too. The game did have some obvious evil options, but for the most part, it was decent.

I don't have much of an interest in GTA4, so I haven't played it which means my opinion doesn't mean anything in this topic, but after the choice in Virmire, I had to stop playing. I had to go and take a break. I had to think about what I did. Thing is: that's pretty much what Jeff said about Grand Theft Auto IV on a Bombcast.

Changing the world around you is a total gimmick, and it's worth crap. Just putting it out there.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

Hardly...the gimmick with games that have moral choices, is giving you a bunch of them, and having them not mean shit in the end. Having the game basically end nearly identical, or exactly identical to how it would've if you chose something else. Even if you're giving a big decision you would have to think of for a bit, it doesn't end up changing anything in the end. No game that's done decision making like that so far has done it correctly and actually made your choices impact anything by the end of it. Especially anything recently.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

Pause, I implore you to play The Witcher. Because you're straight-up wrong.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By atejas

The only game that actually made me pause and think about the consequences of what I was about to do was Deus Ex and, to a lesser extent, The Witcher.

Although that list promises to expand now that I finally patched my Vampire Bloodlines and got Planescape: Torment.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Steven

They're still figuring it out, it will get better.  It's better now then it ever has been before, and it will continue to improve.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Pause, I implore you to play The Witcher. Because you're straight-up wrong."
    I've mentioned before in plenty of threads that I've played the witcher. This thread however is not talking about the Witcher at all, it used Mass Effect/GTAIV as the main examples. That's why I only talked about what I thought about that really, and Kotor that came before it and evolved into ME. No, I'm not straight up wrong at all, I played the witcher and enjoyed it, and it had far better choices in it than Mass Effect/Kotor/GTAIV. As I said though, that wasn't part of the topic, and I wasn't even thinking about it either since it came out several years ago now.

That definitely isn't true though Steven. Which was my point earlier, games that came out several years ago now, have done far better than anything recently in giving your choices any weight in the end, and very few of them, especially far more than either game named in this thread used as an example. It really isn't getting better in general...it depends on who is doing it and how its done. There are so many ways to do moral decisions in games completely wrong, and the majority have done them wrong. People just see that more than one choice exists and buy into it thinking its somehow amazing, or a huge thing which isn't true. Also, in plenty of cases because of how they get treated as just on the spot decisions that don't have shit to do with how everything ends up in almost any game, moral decisions to plenty are kind of dumb at this point and just something you shrug aside.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

No, pause. The blog is about moral choices in games, across the board. Sweep gave examples of games that did not execute the concept well, these being Mass Effect/GTA IV/Bioshock. I responded to his blog - though it is technically a response to Tylea002's blog - with The Witcher as an example of moral choices being executed flawlessly. So, yeah, you're still straight-up wrong.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Virago

No matter what game I'm playing, I constantly feel like I should be chosing Good and making socially acceptable, moral decisions. Probably because I usually play Marvel, but still. I think it's important that games give you that choice -- to kill the bad guys, or shoot up the good guys. It's not like anyone does that in real life. >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.