Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Quiet and missables? (Spoilers)

Kreschnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've just read about how you end up losing Quiet as a buddy when you finish her story. Is there anything that requires Quiet to get other than the butterfly emblem?

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By chu52

Some character specific cut scenes and a cool buddy. Everything that matters is before that.

What is real weird is that you can kill her after the first fight. Then you never have the scenes with her. It really makes me wonder about the mission 35 (ish that was like twenty game hours ago for me) Skullface line. "someone close to you "

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoLines

@dudeglove said:

I don't understand, are there multiple endings to Quiet? I'm in Mission 43 ish and she's still helping me out. Do you lose her if your bond level isn't maxed out by the end of the first story?

You lose her after completing a mission (45) which activates when you have maxed out her bond, and completed one of the other story missions (44 I think) and some time has passed (Side Ops or some other crap).

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoLines

@dudeglove said:
    @twolines said:
    @dudeglove said:

I don't understand, are there multiple endings to Quiet? I'm in Mission 43 ish and she's still helping me out. Do you lose her if your bond level isn't maxed out by the end of the first story?

You lose her after completing a mission (45) which activates when you have maxed out her bond, and completed one of the other story missions (44 I think) and some time has passed (Side Ops or some other crap).

Is losing her unavoidable? Is there some gameplay nonsense about wearing the butterfly emblem to prevent that? I have just had the scene where Code Talker and Quiet talk in Navajo after Quiet is being tortured by Kaz being his jerk self and she says that she'll never leave/speak because she's in love with the Boss or something and I now have the alt costume. I should note that I maxed out Quiet's bond ages ago (like literally the moment she became available circa mission 14 I went apeshit with her and maxed it out after a few missions).

Losing her is unavoidable if you activate the Side Op that activates mission 45. You can prevent that activation by having that butterfly emblem in your logo, but you won't be able to finish her story if you do that. You can do that thing at the very end of your game though, because it is not necessary to finish that in order to unlock the rest of the game (missions 46-50).

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you are playing on PC you can edit some things, and pretend it never happens.

Avatar image for littlerapscallion
    LittleRapscallion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chu52: (accidentally deleted my post lol)

Doesn't seem like killing her was meant to stick. From what I hear you can replay the mission, choose not to, and everything will be fine.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chu52

@littlerapscallion: oh yeah. I went so far as to use rubber bullets when I did mission 11 because I wanted to have her on my side. I am now really curious as to how her being dead plays out, but it kinda seems like nobody made and stuck with that choice. So I guess I have a second play through to get to....................someday

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@chu52: When I first played that mission, I killed her just because I wanted to see if I could. I dunno about the later parts of the game, because I went and unkilled her, but I do know that several cut-scenes just straight up don't happen without her. Like, the one where the jet attacks the helicopter after getting her. Just doesn't happen. I'd assume that stuff like her being "interrogated" doesn't happen at all (because why would it), and other stuff, like when they bring Sahelanthropus back to the base just wouldn't have her in them.

I kinda wish I had stuck to my guns on that choice, really. But, too late now.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really reminds me of one of the Telltale writers on an interview dump truck "if it's a choice that 90% of people make one way, was it really a choice?"

But now I have to know about (mission 45) the first vial without Quiet

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Has anyone discovered a possibility of getting her back? The way Miller said it, it seemed like, she went back to Afghanistan and I'd have to do a repeat of her sniper battle to bring her back home.

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerseslives

@ch3burashka said:

Has anyone discovered a possibility of getting her back? The way Miller said it, it seemed like, she went back to Afghanistan and I'd have to do a repeat of her sniper battle to bring her back home.

Not possible. It would kind of defeat the purpose of her entire story arc if that happened.

It's pretty clear that she sacrificed herself for Snake and disappeared to go die alone somewhere.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

Not possible. It would kind of defeat the purpose of her entire story arc if that happened.

It's pretty clear that she sacrificed herself for Snake and disappeared to go die alone somewhere.

I feel like I missed a couple cutscenes. Does that have anything to do with me skipping most of the Chapter 2 missions that weren't story-critical?

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ichthy

Such a goddamn tease. If you do go back and redo Chapter 11, she ends up back in your brig in the menus. It's probably just a bug, but NRGGG.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ichthy: Can you still use her as a buddy? im kinda regretting doing that mission now, since she was so useful for clearing side-ops.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrSwift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrSwift

Damn wish I saw this thread before! just completed that mission. She was so good for side missions. Best part of the story though to be fair and pretty good mission.

Just seen you unlock the cyborg ninja costume small consolation prize.

Throat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you complete the Cloaked in silence extreme mission can you get her back?

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By avantegardener

I've finished the Man who saved the World and I still have her... I equipped the Butterfly emblem before Mission 46, is there a way to finish her arc?

EDIT: Removing the Emblem, pops side OP 150.

fogh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@avantegardener: Just remove the butterfly emblem and return to Mother Base, get back in the the chopper, and Side Ops 150 should be activated, if your bond is maxed. I am pretty sure that is how I just did that.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By avantegardener

@fogh: Thanks Duder, that seems to do it.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bceagles128

One thing that I'd like to clarify on this (to save others some frustration) is that you actually lose Quiet permanently before you choose to play the "Secure Quiet" side op or mission 45.

I personally played up until that point with the (mistaken) understanding that I'd still be able to use Quiet as long as I didn't actually play those two missions. But that's not true. Quiet leaves motherbase before you actually play either of those missions and you can't use her as a buddy anymore (permanently) as soon as she leaves.

I didn't know that because I was trying to avoid full on spoilers about how or why you lose her as a buddy. But if anyone else was planning on holding off on those missions with the intent that you would still be able to use her, I would read up fully on it. In short, in order to retain her, you actually need to stop playing story missions (or start wearing the butterfly emblem) quite a bit earlier than mission 45.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

I would say that having only viewed this recently, that is was very unclear, and in her final screen time, she seemed very much alive, power of the nano.. parasites son.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@avantegardener said:
    @xerseslives said:
    @ch3burashka said:

I would say that having only viewed this recently, that is was very unclear, and in her final screen time, she seemed very much alive, power of the nano.. parasites son.

The parasites are activated by language but that doesn't mean they immediately kill you or you immediately are contagious. It takes some time before symptoms show up and the person can spread the parasites. She has enough time to talk the helicopter down and then head out and probably a bit more, but then the parasite is going to do its work.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What upsets me is that she like, could of wrote something on a piece of paper, say she is a mute in a different language or like teach Navajo to some people on coms. Does no one know how to write/type on that oil rig?

I have so many side ops that I NEED her for. Also, when I want to do an S Rank run in a year or so. Maybe DLC to get her back :( I need those clutch tranqs back in my life. I love you D-Dog, but you always run into my dart shots.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne: There is an audio log about trying to get her to write. She refuses. If she told them she had the virus, that would be enough evidence for Kaz to jump to the conclusion that she was a spy (which he practically already assumed). She kept quiet to protect herself as much as to protect Snake.

I actually like that she's gone. So few games make you live with narrative consequence that actually feels like loss. She is easily the audience favorite of the buddies, and undeniably useful, and you actually have to figure out how to operate after losing her. More games need to make the player live with endings that aren't totally happy. This game has a lot of systems in place that make you feel it when the narrative doesn't go in your favor, and it's actually pretty impressive.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking:Huh, I must of missed that tape. I get it and I agree that doing what they did is super impactful. It's great that they can stir such emotion, but like I had just got the clothes for her and still have side ops in 2 spots that always have snipers. I'll just quietly wish that I could do some dumb things with MGS Wolf and Snake skins at 0KB.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne: The tape just mentioned that she refused to write, the rest is something I inferred. I'm in the similar boat though. I only got to use one of those outfits once before her final mission (and boy was I sick of her weird bathing suit thing). It sucked initially, but now that I'm used to using DD again, I'm just as effective as I ever was.

I did have the thought that it would be cool if as a replacement you could bring one of your soldiers with you (after unlocking the Skull Suit) and they could serve as a replacement. That'd let them explain away the abilities and not feel like a huge loss for the player. Then again, that feeling of loss is pretty awesome. Not that it's a good feeling, but it's cool that a big budget mainstream game actually did that.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Moonshadow101
    @artisanbreads said:
    @avantegardener said:
    @xerseslives said:
    @ch3burashka said:

The parasites are activated by language but that doesn't mean they immediately kill you or you immediately are contagious. It takes some time before symptoms show up and the person can spread the parasites. She has enough time to talk the helicopter down and then head out and probably a bit more, but then the parasite is going to do its work.

There's a decent chance that they won't. The (bad) parasite kills you by colonizing and attacking your lungs. Quiet's lungs are burnt-out husks already, it's not clear that the (bad) parasites can actually do anything to her.

She still would have become contagious, though, which would explain her decision to disappear into the desert, lest she spawn a genocidal plague.

Crazygopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played through this game a lot. I kept Quiet every time until recently on my last play through. The more i see from Quiet the more i despise her. She refuses to communicate in any way. Not only is she a prisoner on MB, but shes allowed out to go on missions.

A quiet exit was so emotionally painful it was ridiculous. Im not ashamed to admit it...i cried when she left. I will never feel that phantom pain again, i killed her.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.