Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Should I bother to play the ME before ME2?

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By blackbeard

I just picked up ME2, its in the mail. I do have ME but only played the first few missions and I never got around to getting back into it. I have a few questions: 

• Should I bother to play ME before ME2? Does it really matter that much?  
    • Do I need to level all the way up? What are the benefits to this when importing your character into ME2?
    • How long is ME1 (and how long is ME2)? (bonus points if you know the length with and with out side missions)

I would like to play them in order but it depends on how much it matters and how long it will take. Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Garrus

Yes.

And yes it does give grants to things such as money, the game experience with the default selected options as a result are boring as hell,  think there's an experience levelling bonus for importing, having imported a character depending on what level they are will affect how many resources you start with like palladium resources etc.

Mass Effect 1 is generally a good bit longer main storywise, and for extra missions, compared to the second, you will really notice it and what you do makes for a much better experience in the second game. It's not all hugely different though like say you launched a cruiser into the citadel council chamber as some wacky example, in mass effect 2 you'd probably only hear about it and certain NPCs won't be around because they died etc or whatever effects said example would probably cause. As opposed to a gaping hole in a building for example.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Supermarius

-Yes, its plot leads directly into mass effect 2. If you dont play the first game, alot of the events of the second game wont mean nearly as much. For instance if you don't play ME1 you wont know why wrex is cool. If you listen to the bombcast you know how much they love wrex. He might not even show up in your game if you dont play the first one.
    -No, you do not need to level all the way up, one complete playthrough ending around level 30 something will give you a good amount of carryover benefits. Dont bother doing all the optional mako stuff either. Unless you want to, of course
    -Ive heard you can beat ME1 in around 15 hours if you dont do any real sidequesting and you do NOT have to do sidequests to get a good ending like in ME2.  ME2 is alot longer. Maybe 40 hours if you take it at a leisurely pace.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm halfway through a ME1 run just so I can have another game with a living Wrex.  2 of my 3 ME2 finishes have dead Wrex/council.  :(

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By willylo

I couldn't play the first ME at all. I didn't enjoy it. But all I did was wiki the first game so I understood what was going on and played the second. Which I totally loved oddly, just to share. :P

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

Yes:  Alot of enjoyment from ME2, especially if you play one right after the other, is seeing and hearing everything you did in the first game.  If I was a girl, there would be several giggle moments in ME2.  As a man, however, I only nod and grunt in acknowledgement in the manliest way possible.

No:  It really doesn't make a huge difference, and the amount of time you spend playing through the game twice to get a small amount of bonus resources can be made up in ME2 in an hour or two. 

If you want the full experience, meaning you land on every planet and do every sidequest, it will take you about 30 hours.  I did that because I really enjoyed the game, and I got the most giggle ( I mean manly acknowledgement) moments from doing that.  If you don't want to do that, do the main missions (obviously)  and only the "Harmless Fan" (Conrad Verner) and Admiral Kuhoku's side missions to get pretty much the full experience.  It will take you 15 hours.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

Yes, for the sake of story continuity.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. for the last time yes

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By septim

I did a pretty half ass run through ME before ME2. It actually drastically improved the second game. Felt like my actions were going to affect things in the future. Kind like real life, except in space.

There are certainly aspects that date it, but the story and characters are still head and shoulders above what most games offer to this day.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Whisperkill

Yes, you need that save file

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn
    @blackbeard said:

" I just picked up ME2, its in the mail. I do have ME but only played the first few missions and I never got around to getting back into it. I have a few questions: 

• Should I bother to play ME before ME2? Does it really matter that much?  
    • Do I need to level all the way up? What are the benefits to this when importing your character into ME2?
    • How long is ME1 (and how long is ME2)? (bonus points if you know the length with and with out side missions)
     I would like to play them in order but it depends on how much it matters and how long it will take. Thanks in advance for your opinions! "
    1. I did, but no, it doesn't unless you want to import your character. I didn't import mine, so yeah. Really, only play ME1 if you're going for total immersion in the plot. 
    2. No, and you get stuff like money and alignment bonuses. 
    3. ME1 is circa 15-20 hours to run it bare. ME2 is MUCH longer if you want to get a quality ending. If you don't care (like my first playthrough), you can finish in about 1 day. 

Personally, I played through about 1/2 of ME1 (because I borrowed it a week before ME2). I don't think I missed anything that the MEwiki or Wikipedia can't fill in for me.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @Aus_azn: Mass Effect is between 10 and 15 hours to complete the main story missions.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Yes, you totally should.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By rjayb89

Also get Mass Effect: Revelation.  You will read it in Keith David's voice.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Napalm: I probably must have done some sidequests then. My bad.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By AuthenticM

Yes

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jeffk38uk

I think you'll appreciate the continuity and the impact of choices made in 1 can effect how the story plays out in 2, subtly or directly. It just makes the game and the stroy of your Shepard that much more personal.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Ryax

yes

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

That's crazy to start on the second one without going through the first one. You're
    robbing yourself of the experience.

ShiningMyDuggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By ShiningMyDuggy
    @WillyLo said:
    " I couldn't play the first ME at all. I didn't enjoy it. But all I did was wiki the first game so I understood what was going on and played the second. Which I totally loved oddly, just to share. :P "
    Believe me man, you're not alone! For some reason I couldn't/can't pull myself to complete Mass Effect 1 for some reason. What I think really killed it for me was the forced Mako driving and I guess the uninteresting worlds (oh and the fact that they have a billion planets, yet you can only go on maybe 4??? and the rest have no effect on you). I watched my older brother play (and beat) the first one and I actually enjoyed watching him play the game as I do playing Mass Effect 2.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brunchies

Yes

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I played through ME1 5 times when i realized how much carries over.  Very disappointing storywise on ME2

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blackbeard

Thanks everybody! 

The majority of you say it is worth playing ME first so... I will play ME first :) I have at least a few days before ME2 even gets here so I will try and get through a bunch of ME over the weekend. 15 - 20 hours is long but not too bad. I have God of War 3 pre-orderd too... looks like i will wind up splitting my time between them... but its all good. Lots of fun to be had over the coming weeks.

Thanks again everybody! :)

DeadRockstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeadRockstar
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " I played through ME1 5 times when i realized how much carries over.  Very disappointing storywise on ME2 "
    Agreed. This impact ME1 has on 2's story in minimal at best. The characters from 1 that make an appearance in 2 are no longer integral to the plot. Importing a save is basically "neat" and nothing more. 

Like somebody else suggested, a wiki would fill in for ME1 just fine.
    pepsicolagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By pepsicolagirl

I can't believe you are asking this - If you even so much as put the disc for  ME2 in before even finishing ME, then you deserve to have your Xbox confiscated! Why don't you just go and play Half-Life 2: Episode 2 first? But why stop there? Why not go watch Return of the Jedi first too?

I think i've made my point... :)

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By sopranosfan

yes

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @DeadRockstar said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " I played through ME1 5 times when i realized how much carries over.  Very disappointing storywise on ME2 "
    Agreed. This impact ME1 has on 2's story in minimal at best. The characters from 1 that make an appearance in 2 are no longer integral to the plot. Importing a save is basically "neat" and nothing more.  Like somebody else suggested, a wiki would fill in for ME1 just fine. "
    it could but I think its worth making some decisions...
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Most definitely: gives you a leg up statistically if you import your character, plot threads carry over and it's a pretty good game in its own right. I've seen it as cheap as $10 Canadian for a new copy, so it's very affordable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.