Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

Do you love or hate Little Big Planet?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

On metacritic the average is 95 but user is about 6.5 so it really a love or hate game. 

And only 7,000 people were on last night. Thats not many for one of the ps3's biggest exclusive games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'm indifferent about LittleBigPlanet. I played it for a couple of hours and then just thought....meh, whatever. It's cool and interesting but not really the sort of game I want to sink a lot of time into.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's cool when you play with a lot of people and play good levels, sadly that's why LBP for the PSP will suck. No multiplayer.

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By creamclouds

I'll find out soon enough, when I get it in the post lol will let you know what I think

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nrain

Neither, I find it an average game that has a real nice charm, but boring and sometimes frustrating gameplay.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunnBjorn

It's cute and endearing for the first few hours, but it loses it's charm fairly quick. 
    After two weeks of it's purchase, i didn't touch it since. 
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Lashe
    @GunnBjorn said:
    " It's cute and endearing for the first few hours, but it loses it's charm fairly quick. After two weeks of it's purchase, i didn't touch it since.  "
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @GunnBjorn said:
    " It's cute and endearing for the first few hours, but it loses it's charm fairly quick. After two weeks of it's purchase, i didn't touch it since.  "
    Same. Rent it.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Shadow

Love it.  The best part is how I can pick it up after months of not playing it and immediately find new and awesome stuff.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By C2C

I love it in concept, I hate the actual execution though.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

Those user ratings are just fanboy trash.  It's meaningless.

LBP is good, but it could have been amazing.  There's 2 main ways they 'failed' : 

#1 the single player mode is a little short, and not always amazing.  

#2 (the much bigger fault), the system for trying other people's maps was really really bad.  Tying trophies to have many hearts you have was a massive mistake.  The rating system is poor.  The way the game displays 'cool levels' is EXTREMELY poor.  The sorting system is bad, the ratings system is bad.  The game would have been much better off if people had been able to find the well designed user maps.  Think of the way maps & mods are sorted on websites for PC game modding.

edit - Oh yea, and censoring the game meant the game's launch was a travesty, a mess, and a shame.

Finally, removing all those user maps they did at first, and flip flopping on the issue over and over was just idiotic.  They shouldn't have given into to IP holders demands (because they were baseless no matter what), they shouldn't have removed user maps that had NOTHING AT ALL wrong with them.  They should have let users save any map to their HDD, keep it forever, transfer through the web or through memory cards.  At the very least that would have kept the maps for disappearing altogether.

Why would someone want to make a map if Sony was just going to remove it for no reason at all.  They should have let us use our PCs to transfer the maps, would have kept the community strong.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By sjschmidt93

Metaritic is a joke. Including it's read ratings. 

@Diamond said:

" Those user ratings are just fanboy trash.  It's meaningless.    Agreed

LBP is good, but it could have been amazing.  There's 2 main ways they 'failed' :   #1 the single player mode is a little short, and not always amazing. Completely Disagree

#2 (the much bigger fault), the system for trying other people's maps was really really bad.  Tying trophies to have many hearts you have was a massive mistake.  The rating system is poor.  The way the game displays 'cool levels' is EXTREMELY poor.  The sorting system is bad, the ratings system is bad.  The game would have been much better off if people had been able to find the well designed user maps.  Think of the way maps & mods are sorted on websites for PC game modding. Agreed... sortof.                      "

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InFamous91
    @GunnBjorn said:
    i definitely agree....however i didn't regret buying the game though.....you should rent it first
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By ArcBorealis

I love it.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EVO

I've got nothing but love for LitttleBigPlanet. In fact, it's my favourite game ever.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By EdIsCool

The platforming is just not up to scratch it feels loose especially the moving between planes bits.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

I want to love the game, its artistically brilliant and cute as hell but  the game came with so many issues like horrendous lag on multiplayer levels  that  it became incredibly frustrating very, very quickly. 
    The single player checkpointing was ridiculously hardcore for a game that was to try and get the wii audience with death happenning all over the place and sometimes (very often) not being the players fault. 
    I think the MGS pack was a lot more forgiving and much easier to digest than anything beyond the first couple of worlds. 

and finally I dont know if the level creation stuff got changed but it was hugely depressing to see a million "TROPHIEEEEEEZZ WHAAAAAAAR" levels get played by 10,000 people and a level which you had constructed that actually had thought and was finishable without the suicide button would ahve 5 plays and a comment saying "WTF" or "boooooooringgg" after about a month. I will probably go back to it when the R&C level pack gets released. 

such a shame and such a waste
    SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SimonM7

It comes down to what type of person you are I reckon. As a straight up platformer it's pretty weak. If you want carefully timed jumps, a nice learning curve and a good challenge, it's pretty broken on all of those accounts. The platforming is floaty and imprecise, the checkpoint system is hopelessly flawed leading to nothing but frustration and difficulty spikes when it does get a little bit trickier, and ultimately because of its checkpoint system it never dares to challenge you to any particular degree.

So as a normal typical game it's useless pretty much, save for the inherent charm in the Sackboys and the world and the sometimes ingenious visual solutions like the car level or the big wheel in the later part of the game. However, where it does take off is in the creativity, in the sheer delight of working out how to get around its deliberate confinements and restrictions to create some really awe inspiring contraptions and levels. That, and checking out what kind of brilliant things others have come up with.

Sadly the level creation drowned in a bajillion tribute levels, and due to the nature of "brand recognition" and its system for searching for levels those were the only ones people played, creating a vicious cycle of those being the most Hearted levels and subsequently FURTHER the most played.

So basically it comes down to what you want from it. It's still a brilliant toolbox with just the right amount of restrictions to.. er.. mother invention, and the ability to share your own - aswell as experience other people's - creations. As such, it is amazing, awe-inspiring, inarguably incredible.. until you put it in front of someone who really wants it to just be a normal platformer.

As for the metacritic thing, that's just fanboy legions trying theit best to change the fact that LBP is amazing, the same way similar legions will with Halo or Gears or Zelda or any other widely acclaimed title.

TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By TheGamerFix

The level creation stufff is amazing and second to none on any current-gen system, though the platforming mechanics are a bit weird wuite floaty controllers and stuff like that, which kind of detracts from the experience since making a level is awesome and then playing it can come as a slight let down. If you want to get the mosrt out of it though you have to commit yourself to it.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Akeldama
    @Alaska_Gamer said:
    "

I love it.

"
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJOR64

I love it.  I've probably played that game more then MGS4.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MeierTheRed

I neither love or hate it. I see the potential in it and i understand why people play it, but the game is not something that i personally enjoy.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#23  Edited By vigorousjammer

<33333333

who can hate Sackboy, honestly?

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

despite the intensley deep level creator, this game alsways felt like more flash then substance. If the actual platforming mechanics hadve been tighter i probably wouldve enjoyed it a whole lot more
    scumble373

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By scumble373

the game is great because its, new, original and different.....

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Otacon

I've grown to love it, that and burnout paradise are the two games that I have returned to most.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By Cube

I love Sackboy, I like the game. It gets boring quick but when it shines, it shines brightly.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By CharleyTony

I have a hard time understanding why I dont enjoy this game that much. As far as game mechancis go, it is almost identical to a mario bros game. (aside from the floaty jumping) 
    Could it be that the game lacks focus, clear goals or varied enemies ? 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

The one time I tried it, the floaty jumping physics drove me up the wall.  I can't really say that I'm a fan.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond

Like a lot, but I would have liked more single player content or a snippier online service that lets you save levels you like, loads levels faster, and has a better search system.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tebbit
    @Diamond said:
    " Like a lot, but I would have liked more single player content or a snippier online service that lets you save levels you like, loads levels faster, and has a better search system. "
    Here's hoping LBP2 has at least most of those. 

I still play Little Big Planet every so often, and there's always new, interesting user created levels to check out. Thats why it was so rad. 
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Qorious

I like it. :)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Daveyo520

I would say I love it.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @MB said:
    " I'm indifferent about LittleBigPlanet. I played it for a couple of hours and then just thought....meh, whatever. It's cool and interesting but not really the sort of game I want to sink a lot of time into. "
    I agree, it can be fun fo a whie, but after a little bit can get boring, a postitive note is the massive amount of user generated tracks,  I feel better about modnation racers
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that was really excited for LBP, I was very let down by the actual game. 
    The controls were, i dunno, off maybe? Don't know the right word but it didn't feel very tight. Maybe sloppy is the word.  
    I think that was due to the weird physics of the sackboy. Felt like rolling a ball 3/4ths full of water around. Just odd. 

I was really excited about the community made levels as well but if you try to delve any deeper than the most loved ones you end up playing plenty of broken incomplete messes, rip offs of other games, or levels specifically made to earn trophies. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.