Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Life Is Strange: Before the Storm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2017

A prequel to the initial Life is Strange game, focused on Chloe's life.

Should I get this?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

When Giant Bomb did a quick look of the first episode of the first game, I was hooked enough to buy it right then and there despite knowing I'd have to wait for episodes to come out. I really enjoyed Life Is Strange even though I am not a fan of waiting for episodes. It actually harmed the experience of the first game to me in a small way because the game was on my system the whole year and by the time the fourth and then the last episode was out I just wanted to be done and take it off the PS4 then. That said, I still really liked the game overall even though I wasn't a huge fan of either of the endings and how the choices throughout didn't mean a whole lot.

I also felt that I played it before people really got into it, so whenever big discussion came out, I wasn't that interested in discussing it anymore. Considering this was a prequel, I always just kind of wrote it off as something not necessarily worthy of my time considering we already know where it all leads, but I don't doubt there is some good quality stuff in it and that I'd probably enjoy it. I don't know if I should get it though, so I'm here asking. I just played through The Awesome Adventure of Captain Spirit yesterday, and I enjoyed it. It made me think I should give this a try. I'd be getting it on the Xbox One X, and it's about 25 dollars.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I thought it was terrific enough to be my GOTY last year. The central characters are endearing and sweet, and it's still as hilariously awkward and weird as the original series was. The music was absolutely fantastic too.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zeik

I just finished playing it like a week ago and I definitely enjoyed it. It's not quite as strong the original, but it does a solid job exploring the relationship between Chloe and Rachel, which is what I wanted most from it.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theuprightman

Yes absolutely

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Doesn't sound like you liked LiS Season 1 that much so probably skip it? I thought BTS was pretty great and well worth playing. If you do decide to get it, pick up the Deluxe edition with the bonus ep.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hans_maulwurf

The first two episodes were really strong, cleverly building on what was established in the original LiS. They seemed to be confident enough to forgo the supernatural and crime stuff and just concentrate on the teen drama. And then they threw it all away in the last episode where they clumsily shoved an unneccessary and badly executed crime story back into the game, for some inexplicable reason making it the main focus of that episode.

I ended up being really disappointed by it because of that. The only good thing I can now say about it is that it gave me a new appreciation of how well the first game handled the mix of teen drama/supernatural stuff/murder mystery.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I liked the first a lot, I just didn't enjoy waiting for each episode and I like discussing games as I play them. The fun of that aspect was kind of lacking since it seemed like the fervor for the game came months after I was already done with it and moved on. The Deluxe Edition is the one I was looking at and talking about, which is about 25 dollars.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@ntm: Ok, if you liked LiS S1 a lot, I think BTS is a must, though you're running into a similar issue of not being able to talk to ppl about the game. But $25 seems steep. 3 eps + the bonus ep, which is good but about half of an ep is a bit hard to swallow. If you're not going to play it right away, maybe be on the look out for a discount cause I think it has been on sale a few times.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I absolutely loved it, it's shorter but as good as the first.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Yeah, actually that was a unique case since I played it through before the hype of it. When that happened, I was personally onto something else or had said my take beforehand when there were fewer people to discuss it with. There are people that liked this, and so I can discuss it with those that did as I'm going through it or after if I feel like starting something up and someone wants to also talk about it. And alright, I suppose I will wait for a price drop. I'll try to play it before Life is Strange 2 comes out; hopefully, a price drop will happen before then.

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Do you only play on PS4, or do you play on pc as well? I'm pretty sure I saw it in the Steam sale for $8 or $9. Might need a better than average computer though, I can't remember off the top of my head...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourbrain: No, as said, although I played the original game on the PS4, I will be playing the Before the Storm on the Xbox One X. While I love PC gaming, I don't think my PC can handle even Life is Strange so no, I generally don't play my games on PC.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By tatsuyarr

That depends how you could stand Chloe as a character. If, like me, you didn't like her I wouldn't recommend it. Also you can sense that Dontnod didn't make this game the feel is quite different from the original Life is Strange, notably the music feels very different. I wasn't sure but when playing Captain Spirit I felt immediately at home so it's definitely a studio thing for me.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14 gamer_152  Moderator

If you liked the original and Captain Spirit, this is well worth getting. It has its flaws, but it delivers on a lot of what the original game did right while having a far smoother final episode and ending sequences.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

It has a few truly great moments and is worth playing if you want to explore more of Chloe's life and her relationship with Rachel.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I had doubts going into Before the Storm because of how unnecessary it felt, but it is a truly great experience that enhances the story of the original Life is Strange.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.