Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LGBT

Concept »

An umbrella term for any sexual orientation or gender identity that is not straight.

What the hell?

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Why is this a concept?

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By twenty0ne

What's with "LGBT?"

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Read the page.

"Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transsexual"

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Relys
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "Read the page.

"Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transsexual""
    What the hell does that mean?
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Axersia

It's a concept because someone requested it. Actually, he requested a "Gay" concept, but I thought using an umbrella term like this would be a better idea, so I changed it. It's quite a well-known term too. Try google, it gives 11.4 million hits. There's quite a bit to write about too. Check wikipedia, for example.

So if anyone wants to write about the history of LGBT characters in video games, now they can. It's a totally valid concept.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I wonder who would write about such a concept........other than an LGBT in the flesh.....

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By DualReaver
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I wonder who would write about such a concept........other than an LGBT in the flesh....."
    IC9?
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver

At first I thought it was an abbreviated LittleBigPlanet lol.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Axersia said:
    "It's a concept because someone requested it. Actually, he requested a "Gay" concept, but I thought using an umbrella term like this would be a better idea, so I changed it. It's quite a well-known term too. Try google, it gives 11.4 million hits. There's quite a bit to write about too. Check wikipedia, for example.

So if anyone wants to write about the history of LGBT characters in video games, now they can. It's a totally valid concept."
    *straight concept added*

Not really, but I think this is a ridiculous concept.
    DiscoLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DiscoLights

Awwwwwwwwwwww

I love it!
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subway
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "At first I thought it was an abbreviated LittleBigPlanet lol."
    Me too =[
    Plasticworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Plasticworld

For anyone who wants to know, I suggested the concept. I think that homosexuality in video games is a very interesting concept. It has been suppressed  for many years, but now boundaries are being broken and more and more games have gay themes.  It is also interesting to see that more and more games are exploring concepts that are "taboo" in real life right now, for example Fable 2 allows you to marry another man. Same thing, in Sims 3, gay marriage is now official in the game.

Other companies are creating openly gay characters, like one from Enchanted Arms, while other companies are allowing the player to choose which sex they want to have interaction with (like Bully, where you can make out with girls or guys), instead of forcing the player to have a straight character.

It is an interesting concept, me thinks.

Plasticworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Plasticworld
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "Axersia said:
    "It's a concept because someone requested it. Actually, he requested a "Gay" concept, but I thought using an umbrella term like this would be a better idea, so I changed it. It's quite a well-known term too. Try google, it gives 11.4 million hits. There's quite a bit to write about too. Check wikipedia, for example.

So if anyone wants to write about the history of LGBT characters in video games, now they can. It's a totally valid concept."
    *straight concept added*

Not really, but I think this is a ridiculous concept."
    Why do you think it's ridiculous?
    ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ninjadodo

Personally I would have suggested naming it "Gay sexual content" in reference to Jack Thompson's hilarious bigotry, but this is probably a smarter title. Will no doubt minimize otherwise inevitable (?) comments to the effect of "OMG, that's gay!"

I think it's good that games are reflecting the varied sexual preferences that exist in real life, although I get the impression there is a slight bias towards girl on girl action, that may or may not reflect a predominantly male heterosexual development community. ;)

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WickedCobra03
    Axersia said:

So if anyone wants to write about the history of LGBT characters in video games, now they can. It's a totally valid concept.

"
    Can I request a "StraightStraightStraightStraight" board?  kthx, I will expect to be posting on the SSSS tomorrow! :|
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Endogene

looks like axercia didnt notice that this concept excists ^^ time for a PM

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Axersia
    Endogene said:
    "looks like axercia didnt notice that this concept excists ^^ time for a PM"
    And I will quote your post so you can't cover up your embarrassment by deleting it. xD

*points to post he made in this very thread and the top contributor of this page*
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

Bring on the homophobia.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By BoG
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I wonder who would write about such a concept........other than an LGBT in the flesh....."
    I guess that means me, as I am a lesbian. I can't help it, I just love women!
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Endogene
    Axersia said:
    "Endogene said:
    "looks like axercia didnt notice that this concept excists ^^ time for a PM"
    And I will quote your post so you can't cover up your embarrassment by deleting it. xD

*points to post he made in this very thread and the top contributor of this page*"
    ahem... mere details
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Vaxadrin

Hottest concept ever.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Riddler

GET THIS SHIT OFF THE SITE!!!!!!!!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Milkman
    Riddler said:
    "GET THIS SHIT OFF THE SITE!!!!!!!!"
    Homophobia FTL

And why wouldn't this be a concept? There are certainly some games with gay and lesbian characters.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Endogene
    Milkman said:
    "Riddler said:
    Homophobia FTL

And why wouldn't this be a concept? There are certainly some games with gay and lesbian characters."
    you link the concept to the characters

edit: looks like i misunderstood you
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Milkman
    Endogene said:
    "Milkman said:
    "Riddler said:
    Homophobia FTL

And why wouldn't this be a concept? There are certainly some games with gay and lesbian characters."
    you link the concept to the characters"
    Yeah, that's what I was saying...
    CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CactusWolf
    Plasticworld said:
    "For anyone who wants to know, I suggested the concept. I think that homosexuality in video games is a very interesting concept. It has been suppressed  for many years, but now boundaries are being broken and more and more games have gay themes.  It is also interesting to see that more and more games are exploring concepts that are "taboo" in real life right now, for example Fable 2 allows you to marry another man. Same thing, in Sims 3, gay marriage is now official in the game.

Other companies are creating openly gay characters, like one from Enchanted Arms, while other companies are allowing the player to choose which sex they want to have interaction with (like Bully, where you can make out with girls or guys), instead of forcing the player to have a straight character.

It is an interesting concept, me thinks."
    Winner. 
    Agreed.
    Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Riddler
    Milkman said:
    "Riddler said:
    Homophobia FTL

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Riddler said:
    I'm gonna put it in your butt.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew
    ninjadodo said:
    "Personally I would have suggested naming it "Gay sexual content" in reference to Jack Thompson's hilarious bigotry, but this is probably a smarter title. Will no doubt minimize otherwise inevitable (?) comments to the effect of "OMG, that's gay!"

I think it's good that games are reflecting the varied sexual preferences that exist in real life, although I get the impression there is a slight bias towards girl on girl action, that may or may not reflect a predominantly male heterosexual development community. ;)"
    I was actually considering creating a page with that name, but then my brain activated and I didn't. :)
    Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Giantkitty

Welcome to the 21st century folks. If you want freedom, well then there's going to be things you find objectionable or whatever. I don't think freedom here should be limited to "I can say fuck!" or "I want to see bewbies!" It's a valid, real, nontrivial subject. And the icon is just a flag (in case *gasp* you accidentally find it hooked on a game), not two guys making out, so that's easily ignorable, and nobody is forcing you to come here.

[Arkthemaniac]
    >I wonder who would write about such a concept........other than an LGBT in the flesh.....

Using that logic, only people who kill cops and smack prostitutes would write about GTA.

[AndrewGaspar]
    >*straight concept added*

Or just assume that if LGBT isn't there they are. If the concept of straight was accepted, some point farmer would go through characters and games A-Z and clutter up games with one of those concepts people assume anyways.
    Also, it's fallacious:  If A: (LGBT) then B (ridiculous concept) you "prove" this by saying ~A (straight) then B (ridiculous concept)
    let's substitute A=apples, B=fruit then If Apples then its a fruit :: if it's not apples then it's a fruit (may or not be true). You can't use the opposite of something or what it's not to prove what it is. It boils down to is: If A then B :: if not A then B, two contradictory statements, and a misuse of reducto ad absurdum, if that's what you were going for.

[AndrewGaspar]
    >Not really, but I think this is a ridiculous concept.
    [Plasticworld]
    >Why do you think it's ridiculous?

They never say why. I had a similar argument like this at the Gender Change. They were like "this is a scary concept!' I asked why and have gotten no replies, it seems they can only only rant and give little snide remarks without justification.

[WickedCobra03]
    >Can I request a "StraightStraightStraightStraight" board?  kthx, I will expect to be posting on the SSSS tomorrow! :|

Whoever is in charge decided to make it all one concept. They all could exist as separate topics, just there would be less games and characters in each. They are closely related and even Wikipedia has a separate LGBT article, so it's fine.
    I suppose you could be right on the first three, but the last, Transgender refers to their own sex, not their partner's sex. Transgendered people can be straight, gay, or bi before and after any changes. I don't know if there is an antonym for Transgender. Heterogender?

[Riddler]
     >GET THIS SHIT OFF THE SITE!!!!!!!!
    [Vaxadrin]
    >I'm gonna put it in your butt.

I'd put it in his mouth. Oh wait, it's already full, never mind.
    And in response to "Don't Stop Believin'" (I know it's a non sequitor), pretend I put in "You've Got Another Thing Comin," apt in more ways than one, if you know what i mean (Wikipedia Rob Halford if you don't).

[LordAndrew]
    >I was actually considering creating a page with that name, but then my brain activated and I didn't. :)

So by that statement, you're admitting that your brain was at one point deactivated or never activated in the first place :)

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AaronBelfast
    DiscoLights said:
    "Awwwwwwwwwwww
    I love it!
    "
    Why am I not surprised?
    Plasticworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Plasticworld

Seriously, why are so many people getting worked up about this? Gay people exist, and they play video games too, big deal. Also, it's not like I put a picture of two hairy guys making out it leather, it's a simple flag which doesn't bother anyone.

If you have any suggestions tell me or edit them yerself, it's a wiki after all.

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Boyling
    Plasticworld said:
    "Seriously, why are so many people getting worked up about this? Gay people exist, and they play video games too, big deal. Also, it's not like I put a picture of two hairy guys making out it leather, it's a simple flag which doesn't bother anyone.

If you have any suggestions tell me or edit them yerself, it's a wiki after all."
    Hear, hear
    I'm just glad that some people can't help but reveal themselves as the homophobes they are =) It makes it easy to just ignore them and their opinions in general!
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gregomasta

Should their be a Straight concept?

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    Plasticworld said:
    "For anyone who wants to know, I suggested the concept. I think that homosexuality in video games is a very interesting concept. It has been suppressed  for many years, but now boundaries are being broken and more and more games have gay themes.  It is also interesting to see that more and more games are exploring concepts that are "taboo" in real life right now, for example Fable 2 allows you to marry another man. Same thing, in Sims 3, gay marriage is now official in the game.

I agree.  It's not just an interesting concept in video games, it's an interesting concept in ANY form of media, as many books, movies, and more are following suit and having these types of themes in them.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrGetBonus

Yay! an excuse for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zitosilva
    Plasticworld said:

I didn't know Enchanted Arms had a gay character.

I was trying to thing of a game that had gay/lesbian characters in their story, not in your choice (like in the other games you mentioned) but I can't really remember any.

Though If I'm not mistaken that guy that gives you missions in Baten Kaitos: Origins says something about no longer loving Geldoblane. But I can't remember his name. But it's the only one I can think about. I'd like to know about other games.
    MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    zitosilva said:
    "Plasticworld said:

I was trying to thing of a game that had gay/lesbian characters in their story, not in your choice (like in the other games you mentioned) but I can't really remember any.

Though If I'm not mistaken that guy that gives you missions in Baten Kaitos: Origins says something about no longer loving Geldoblane. But I can't remember his name. But it's the only one I can think about. I'd like to know about other games."
    If you've played Enchanted Arms, you probably know who it is.  He's VERY flamboyant.
    Alita_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Alita_99
    Giantkitty said:
    I suppose you could be right on the first three, but the last, Transgender refers to their own sex, not their partner's sex. Transgendered people can be straight, gay, or bi before and after any changes. I don't know if there is an antonym for Transgender. Heterogender?

Cisgender.  If you are not transgender, you are cisgender.
    Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Giantkitty
    Alita_99 said:
    "Giantkitty said:

Cisgender.  If you are not transgender, you are cisgender.
    "
    Thanks, never heard that word before.

>Should their be a Straight concept?

If it's nothing is said, and this is for 90+% of characters, it's assumed they're straight or not interested
    PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PitifullPete

(@Artkthemaniac:) Oh, I consider myself as heterosexual I was asking myself  "are there LGBT characters in video games", just the other day. Maybe its a little related to a course  Im hearing in school (Transnational Sexuality) , but it's still an obviously valid and interesting concept. I'm REALLY wondering why people complain about it.
    So why do we need a LGBT but no Straight concept? Because most people consider all characters in video games straight anyway.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scooper

Bully has GAY SEXUAL CONTENT!

I have just been going through some old HotSpot episodes as the new ones aren't fun to listen to and I've listened to that crazy one where they're ripping Jack Thompson on his pathetic slam on Bully. Good episode.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zitosilva
    MisterSpiffy said:
    "zitosilva said:
    "Plasticworld said:

Though If I'm not mistaken that guy that gives you missions in Baten Kaitos: Origins says something about no longer loving Geldoblane. But I can't remember his name. But it's the only one I can think about. I'd like to know about other games."
    If you've played Enchanted Arms, you probably know who it is.  He's VERY flamboyant."
    Yeah, I didn't play the game because I didn't hear very good things about it.
    HTTenrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By HTTenrai

*Gives GiantKitty a great big cookie*

Thanks for being one of the good people!

Doc_Zaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Doc_Zaius
    Giantkitty said:
    *(edit for space)*....

[Riddler]
     >GET THIS SHIT OFF THE SITE!!!!!!!!
    [Vaxadrin]
    >I'm gonna put it in your butt.

I'd put it in his mouth. Oh wait, it's already full, never mind.
    And in response to "Don't Stop Believin'" (I know it's a non sequitor), pretend I put in "You've Got Another Thing Comin," apt in more ways than one, if you know what i mean (Wikipedia Rob Halford if you don't).

[LordAndrew]
    >I was actually considering creating a page with that name, but then my brain activated and I didn't. :)

So by that statement, you're admitting that your brain was at one point deactivated or never activated in the first place :)"
    For a Big Pussy you gotta lotta balls.  Amen brother, thanks for clearing it up for the ignorant.
    lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lolwot

deleted

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @lolwot said:
    " wtf? I had no idea these things were lumped together in this odd abbreviation. Why not just "homosexuality"? "
    Because bisexuality isn't homosexuality and transexuals can be attracted to either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.