Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LGBT

Concept »

An umbrella term for any sexual orientation or gender identity that is not straight.

Transgender character pronouns

Alita_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Alita_99

What are the guidelines regarding gender specific pronouns for transgender characters?  I would think they would reflect the gender the character is presenting as rather than the genetic or birth sex of the person.  To quote a relevant article on Wikipedia; "in general, transgender individuals prefer to be referred to by the gender pronoun appropriate to the gender with which they identify."

For example, I updated the pronouns in Poison's (from Final Fight) article from male to female ones.  While Poison was born male, she is clearly presenting herself as a female.  I would argue female pronouns are preferred.  However, the article was changed back, Poison being referred to by male pronouns.  This irks me, perhaps because I have many transgender friends and am aware of the sensitivity on the issue.

Does Giant Bomb have any rules or guidelines in regards to this?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

yeah, female pronouns, anything else is insulting

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Poison was female in the first Final fight game. And made a Crosdresser because of the rage vs Violence vs women in the early days. Can we even call that transgender? ? Since there is no medical/magical changes? More that the devs just did not want people hating the game because of the issue. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animasta
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Poison was female in the first Final fight game. And made a Crosdresser because of the rage vs Violence vs women in the early days. Can we even call that transgender? ? Since there is no medical/magical changes? More that the devs just did not want people hating the game because of the issue.  "

transgender is an umbrella term, which includes crossdressers

transsexual is the one where they take hormones and present as female
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Laketown said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Poison was female in the first Final fight game. And made a Crosdresser because of the rage vs Violence vs women in the early days. Can we even call that transgender? ? Since there is no medical/magical changes? More that the devs just did not want people hating the game because of the issue.  "

transgender is an umbrella term, which includes crossdresserstranssexual is the one where they take hormones and present as female "
    Thats how I misread the first thing.

Who was that other fighter who was really a guy? It was a blue and white outfit...some small boy? 
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animasta
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

transgender is an umbrella term, which includes crossdresserstranssexual is the one where they take hormones and present as female "
    Thats how I misread the first thing.

Who was that other fighter who was really a guy? It was a blue and white outfit...some small boy? 
    "
    bridget, who as far as i know is only a crossdresser
    Alita_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Alita_99
    @Laketown:

Yes, Bridget was born a boy alongside with his identical twin brother.  In the village he grew up in however, identical twins of the same sex are considered an ill omen, so Bridget's parents dressed him up like a girl.  Bridget identifies as a boy, although he still acts very effeminately.

I'm going to go ahead and edit Poison's article, hopefully it will stick this time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.