Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 25, 2022

A 3D Kirby adventure on Nintendo Switch.

3D Kirby Doesn't Do It For Me

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I like Kirby. I don't think I like looking at Kirby in 3D. It reminds me of Ballz 3D.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Keep in mind, I've only played the demo, but nothing about this game strikes me as particularly... striking. I mean, I didn't play Nintendo games growing up, but of the ones I've played for the first time in adulthood, Kirby is the series that stuck with me because it just looked so different from everything else. I feel like what I've seen of Forgotten Land kind of just looks like every other 3D platformer out there.

Is it just me? Am I just fully becoming the old man yelling about 2D "back-in-my-day"-isms?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I’m having a good time with it, even if in my case the whole ’sucking up enemies for their abilities’ mechanic feels a lot like Mario Odyssey. It’s still a cool feature though and Kirby’s just cooler than Mario as a fact.

It hasn’t done anything particularly striking so far (almost done with world three), but right now I’m perfectly content with a solid platformer that plays well and looks/sounds charming. It’s very easy even on the harder difficulty, but I think I’m fine with that after Elden Ring, Horizon and Tunic slapping me around.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By brian_

@glots: Yeah... I think I harbor some weird resentment towards this thing for the whole "Mario Odyssey for Kirby". Kirby's the original Mario Odyssey. Mario's just an entitled poser. Sees someone doing a thing, and he steals it for himself. Can't let anyone have their own thing. Kirby deserves better.

Also, I think this game looks noticeably worse than Mario Odyssey. In art design and fidelity.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like the visuals in general (and there’s just something odd to waltzing through a post-apocalyptic city as a cute Kirby and even getting snippets of background lore for some companies that used to exist), even if there’s a whole lot of areas that follow the usual platforming tropes.

Tech wise it IS very jarring to play this over four years after Odyssey with worse fidelity and half the framerate, which does at least generally remain stable.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've just rescued everyone in world 1, haven't played anything in world 2 or beyond yet.

So far I like the art design, and I mainly like that it seems pretty easy so far. If you complete one of the side challenges within the "Target time" you just get the check mark and 50 coins extra, so it seems you're not missing out on any significant collectables if you're unable to do those challenges.

The one thing I always hate about this style of platformers is that if you missed a collectible you have to play the whole level again -- most levels have many spots where you cannot go back (recent Yoshi games have the same problem, Super Mario 3D world as well). I prefer the more open level design of Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario 64, where you have more freedom in how you explore and traverse each level. Still, with this game being easy so far, hopefully things aren't too hidden that I can get most of the collectibles within one or two runs of each level.

I guess I really enjoy an easy colorful game as a counter part to Elden Rings right now. (I'm 80 hours into Elden Rings, I'm level 78 and have two great runes, that game is easier than previous From games, but it's still pretty hard for me).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.