Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

(SPOILERS) Discuss the KillZone 2 ending here

NAKent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NAKent

I was wondering what everyone thought of the ending. Just beat it.
      It made me really hate Rico. Really its crazy, I don't know what was going on. The ending to me was disappointing.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

story was worse than gears

bought for online lol

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bekern

Yah that guy was freaking dumb. I guess the reason they did that though was just to leave an opening for Killzone 3.
    And since this is a spoiler thread-did anyone else laugh as hard as I did when after the chick died that guy started punching Visari? Visari owned him so hard lolz.

NAKent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NAKent

Yea that was pretty funny how when he yelled NOOOO, He had no emotion on his face. That was radec not Visari though.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

*Spoilers* I was shocked that they killed off Templer, since he was one of the main characters in the first KillZone, and I believe he's the main character in KZ: Liberation as well (I have yet to play that, so I'm not sure).

I agree, I thought Rico would know better after that first outburst he had, I found it to be crazy. Also, I think KillZone has a nice backstory but it's just not presented very well in the game.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Luke

Ending was no good... I guess they're just trying to say, "Now it's time for online multiplayer... where you have to shoot all these doods too."

Maybe they'll have an Expansion Pack/DLC to expand the story, before KZ3 comes-out?

NAKent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NAKent

Brukaoru said everything I thought. Yes I think Rico was supposed to be the "Hero" but he is the most uninteresting "Hero"  in a game yet.
    They could have took Visari captive and forced the Helghast to surrender, then if he told the Helghast to keep fighting some how, the Captain would pop him.
    Also the only one that I liked was Garza in my squad. Nakgto I wish would've have been shot, he was annoying as hell throughout the whole game. Now there's no way on bringing him back since his body went to hell.  

NAKent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NAKent

Just played past the desert again. So Natko is not as annoying. But Rico is an ass through out. Specially because I realized Rico's actions killed Garza. He acts as if nothing changed after. And does anyone here  think that you sorta play the Medic in the squad.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun

There are so many plot holes in this game if you looked at the script it would be swiss cheese. Where do all of these Helghast ships keep magically coming from? Why is there only a Colonel with three ships (that we see) in charge of the planetary invasion of the primary enemy of humanity? Where are all of the Helghast civilians other than that one miner?

Halo 2, Gears of War 2, Fear 2, and KIllzone 2 all have one other thing in common than the number at the end of their name. That being that they all end with blatant set ups for a sequel. I know I might be weird but I like to have some kind of satisfying conclusion to a game I just devoted a week or more of my life to. Being presented with everything I just worked for just magically being reversed is not a good note to end on.

And finally why do they kill all the interesting characters while letting Rico live? Templar, Visari, Radec and Evelyn all bite the big one but good old Rico is still going.

Great game for the gameplay but the plot is just downright insulting.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By daniel_beck_90

As much as I loved the gameplay and visuals , I hated the weak story  . Also not to mention that last mission (98% through) which was frustrating as hell  .

KaosAngel said:

"story was worse than gears
    "
     You can not even compare the story in Gears Of War 1-2 with Killzone 2 . As Jeff said , the story in Killzone 2 can be summarized as Go , go , go !!!!!  but set pieces like saving maria,the various dialogs between members of delta squad and last but perhaps most importantly when Marcus Fenix yells  aweeeC,moooooooooooooon  are what make Gears universean incredibly fantastic one .
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, the Gears games arn't going to be giving Bioshock any competition anytime soon for story but they definitely have something going on. Killzone on the other hand presents things in the game as pretty much being, "Helghast have red eyes, talk in gravely British-esque voices, and have incredibly fascist uniforms and iconography. Therefore they are the evil ones. KILL KILL KILL!"

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Win

I think the ending managed to pull off the feeling of "Oh shit this war is never going to end is it?" pretty well.

I agree that Rico is a total and and it sucks that he killed off Vasari (who to me was the most interesting character in the entire game).

One other thing that got on my nerves is how Garza dies after getting shot a couple times, when Sev could have easily revived him with the Med gun.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yes, that would be yet another continuity hole opened up by this game.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By radion_null

I actually liked the ending in itself. The idea that you are a regular soldier that just happen to find the leader of the opposition, attempting to arrest him, hnd having your squad mate kill him out of rage is a nice idea. They just needed to build it up just a bit more The problem lies in that there was not enough character development. As a result, the ending is not really impactful. Killzone, like Gears, has this "walking into the middle of an in-progress conversation" feel to it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

lol rico is a fucking retard thats all i gotta say. dude should have been discharged a long time ago. he should be court marshalled in the backstory of the sequel and not be part of whatever squad you play with in it. i mean, he murdered the visari, not assanated, not killed in action, just straight up murdered the guy for no reason.  and thats all there was to it. just wow, i dont even know why anyone would write a character like him, he's so difficult to grasp. like what the fuck kind of personality does he have? he almost always acts way over the top fucking crazy, and then all buddy happy when he says hello to templar in the intro, him smiling looks totally dumb. i can never understand why he says the things he does, he just sound like a fucking idiot all the time and is always going way over board, in every game so far. now obviously the sequels will be all about the helghast rising up in anger over it. 

so yeah, please GG write this guy out already, nobody likes him and i dont think anyone really ever did. the VA who does his voice is also attrocious. sounds like he about to start bustin out some serious hardcore rap every time he says fuck. which is like every five seconds. 
    matthimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By matthimself

Kill Rico in Killzone 3 pls

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

They should totally make a epilogue DLC -- where your mission is to land a brutal headshot right between the eyes of Rico. What a prick.

It's a shame the game ended that way because I do truely believe the game had taken a turn for the better story-wise in the last couple of chapters.

I hope in Killzone 3 they hire a writer or something and dump the entire cast they currently have. I want to see the "war" from a less chest-beating-Hollywood perspective. I genuinely do like the universe and some of the backstory they have -- if they thought outside of the box they could make Killzone 3 an even better game. And I think story is something they definitely have to look into. It seems that out of all the flaws Killzone 2 had, the story and voice acting were the only real meaty ones.

Now they have the engine in place I think it's likely this is the area they'll try to develop.

Great game though.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phished0ne

i actually liked the ending,  i like how the story of the ISA works as a paralel to our  "war on terrorism"(albeit a bit forced).  Plot and continuity holes aside(i know that is a lot to ask) it really is a pretty good story, you have a hot-head out of control war-hero(who in real life would've been court marshelled in no time), a rag-tag team, and the main character who seems to be one of the only people who doesn't allow emotions to get in the way( untill rico's mistake leads to garza's death).  Its a shame they didnt kill off Rico instead of Garza though, when  i saw him shoot Vizari i actually yelled out "RICO YOU FUCKING DICK HEAD!", and i really felt like the main character, sitting on the steps of palace as the never-ending war rages on around him.

A little tripe, yes, but i think as a whole the story is on-par with Gears Of War, but i agree that more character development would've done this game wonders.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

i don't hate Rico becasue of his personailty or random cussing, i hate him becasue he can't shoot worth a shit and never look after your back. The last level was hard enough to deal with let alone having to revive his black ass every 30 seconds. i was sooo frustrated i remember after dieing on that level 100th time, i finally scream, "FUCK U RICO, SHOOT THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!" LOL. i forgot my roomate was sleeping and he fuckin freaked out! it was too funny.  Anyway, for the ending, i didn't mind it so much. i appreciated how GG did not take the "happy ending" route. i know they are trying to prep up for KZ3, but the part where Sev just sits on the stairs as shit load of Helghast ships hover above him made me feel helpless in a way. and kinda made me excited for the next game.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kratos81

I think we can all agree that Killzone 2 has some great gameplay, because we all agree the story and characters suck ass, but we are still playing the game. Im almost done with beating it a 2nd time on hard mode. Such a shame just how damn bad the story/chatacters turned out in this game after 4 yrs in development. AS for the thoughts on the ending, what ending? It was a joke, this is one of the few games I beat and at the time I beat couldnt careless about it. Hell I even cared more about the character endings in SF4 then this.

Under_Influenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Under_Influenz

i'm going to try to pay closer attention to the story on my second play through. But what i got out of the ending was that there is no good guys in the war. You're as bad as the Helghasts are.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phished0ne
    Under_Influenz said:
    "i'm going to try to pay closer attention to the story on my second play through. But what i got out of the ending was that there is no good guys in the war. You're as bad as the Helghasts are."
    that is something else i like about it, it portrays war a little more realistically, everyone are bastards..
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Osaladin

Rico annoyed me the entire campaign. I kind of expected it to end like it did though, so I'm not too disappointed.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoelTGM

Rico sure got a lot of allies killed.  Heck, he even killed one himself.  On the desert level when you're in the mech, Rico teaches a guy "respect" by randomly headbutting him, and then stomping on his head.  The guy looks hurt at first, and then he just stops moving.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thiago

Oh, this nonsense has to stop. The game is brilliant.

I don't see much difference between Killzone and other major action games. THe stories are just pretexts to justify the action. But this is still better because the enemies and scenarios are so cool.

Clearly there is an army of Helghast, so they come in waves in those tanks or deployment aircrafts. This is not a problem at all, it is just that most people is used to the "on rails" gameplay of Call of Duty or Gears and they get confused when people is shooting them from more than one direction or there are more than four enemies on the screen.

The last part in the palace where you need to push through the Helghast defenses was pure genius. Why? It is not videogamy. I was expecting to get rid of the guards and then just walk into the palace initially. But it doesn't matter how many you kill, you will still come in waves. So you need to go through the level killing any Helghast in your way. It makes it more realistic because in a real war you don't know how many enemies  there are. It could be 10 or 1000, who knows. All you need is to complete your mission. You don't even need to kill all enemies.

I hope they release Killzone 3 soon.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thiago
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "  As much as I loved the gameplay and visuals , I hated the weak story  . Also not to mention that last mission (98% through) which was frustrating as hell  .

KaosAngel said:
    "story was worse than gears
    "
     You can not even compare the story in Gears Of War 1-2 with Killzone 2 . As Jeff said , the story in Killzone 2 can be summarized as Go , go , go !!!!!  but set pieces like saving maria,the various dialogs between members of delta squad and last but perhaps most importantly when Marcus Fenix yells  aweeeC,moooooooooooooon  are what make Gears universean incredibly fantastic one . "

You have to be joking. Gears tells you nothing. You play the entire game and you don't know anything about anything. Who are the Locust? Why are they evil? Why are you fighting? How is the world in that univers? Nothing out of those 4 characters is shown.

As I said, Gears is pure militaristic propaganda. Like, the enemies don't show any sign of intelligence, organization or purpose. They are monster-like. For example, why in the hell are they guarding some area? Is a base close by? Is that supply route? Do they need that area strategically?

As soon as you start thinking: "Wait a minute, what are they doing here? What is the point of their presence here?" You see that Gears of War makes absolutely no sense. Killzone actually has better backstory.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

"Don't you quit on me!"

I don't expect much story-wise from an FPS, but for fuck's sake come on...
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Diamond
    CenturionCajun said:
    "There are so many plot holes in this game if you looked at the script it would be swiss cheese. Where do all of these Helghast ships keep magically coming from? Why is there only a Colonel with three ships (that we see) in charge of the planetary invasion of the primary enemy of humanity? Where are all of the Helghast civilians other than that one miner?Halo 2, Gears of War 2, Fear 2, and KIllzone 2 all have one other thing in common than the number at the end of their name. That being that they all end with blatant set ups for a sequel. I know I might be weird but I like to have some kind of satisfying conclusion to a game I just devoted a week or more of my life to. Being presented with everything I just worked for just magically being reversed is not a good note to end on.And finally why do they kill all the interesting characters while letting Rico live? Templar, Visari, Radec and Evelyn all bite the big one but good old Rico is still going.Great game for the gameplay but the plot is just downright insulting."
    BAM exactly.  Where the fuck are all these ships coming from.  ISA is attacking the Helghast HOMEWORLD.  They got no other planets to come from now.  Even if they can't nuke the planet because they want the resources and that stuff the Helghast mine is really volitile, where were all the Helghast you see at the end in the beginning of the game?  Are they really lazy and only decided to strike back when their leader was in imminent danger?

Game NEEDS Helghast civilians too I agree.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tekmojo

I spent the whole game killing my own teammates more than I killed the enemy cause the single-player sucked balls. Team get's in the way, rushes into a swarm of higs, and screams at me to heal them, it was painful.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thiago
    Diamond said:
    "CenturionCajun said:
    "There are so many plot holes in this game if you looked at the script it would be swiss cheese. Where do all of these Helghast ships keep magically coming from? Why is there only a Colonel with three ships (that we see) in charge of the planetary invasion of the primary enemy of humanity? Where are all of the Helghast civilians other than that one miner?Halo 2, Gears of War 2, Fear 2, and KIllzone 2 all have one other thing in common than the number at the end of their name. That being that they all end with blatant set ups for a sequel. I know I might be weird but I like to have some kind of satisfying conclusion to a game I just devoted a week or more of my life to. Being presented with everything I just worked for just magically being reversed is not a good note to end on.And finally why do they kill all the interesting characters while letting Rico live? Templar, Visari, Radec and Evelyn all bite the big one but good old Rico is still going.Great game for the gameplay but the plot is just downright insulting."
    BAM exactly.  Where the fuck are all these ships coming from.  ISA is attacking the Helghast HOMEWORLD.  They got no other planets to come from now.  Even if they can't nuke the planet because they want the resources and that stuff the Helghast mine is really volitile, where were all the Helghast you see at the end in the beginning of the game?  Are they really lazy and only decided to strike back when their leader was in imminent danger?Game NEEDS Helghast civilians too I agree."

There must be Helghast on Helghan, after all it is their home world. An army will have troops all over the place, especially in that case an entire PLANET, that they can order to move to another area when needed.

The civilians were evacuated.

No plot holes whatsoever.
    thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thiago
    tekmojo said:
    "I spent the whole game killing my own teammates more than I killed the enemy cause the single-player sucked balls. Team get's in the way, rushes into a swarm of higs, and screams at me to heal them, it was painful."

It is not the game's fault you suck. I only killed a couple of times because of some grenade I threw incorrectly and ended up hitting someone on my side.

But again, what would you expect in a war?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.