Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Dude, controls are still f*cked.

chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chw

I know it's been out for awhile, but I just picked up Killzone 2.  I'm on the first level, and dude -- the controls suck.  There's like a split second delay after every input.  I'm trying to get headshots on enemies and I waste half my clip shooting air.

As a test, I tried moving my right stick fast, in a rapid left-right-left-right-left motion.  It got to a point where the camera would look left when I was moving right, and looking right when I was moving left.

In all honesty, it makes the game almost unplayable.  I have the "high precision" mode turned on, but it doesn't help.

I've never had a problem playing any other FPS (except for Far Cry Instincts, which had a similar input delay).  This is ridiculous.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @chw said:

" I know it's been out for awhile, but I just picked up Killzone 2.  I'm on the first level, and dude -- the controls suck.  There's like a split second delay after every input.  I'm trying to get headshots on enemies and I waste half my clip shooting air.As a test, I tried moving my right stick fast, in a rapid left-right-left-right-left motion.  It got to a point where the camera would look left when I was moving right, and looking right when I was moving left.In all honesty, it makes the game almost unplayable.  I have the "high precision" mode turned on, but it doesn't help.I've never had a problem playing any other FPS (except for Far Cry Instincts, which had a similar input delay).  This is ridiculous. "

The patches fix this issue...course with PSN down you cant get the patches. 

And the controls ARE slow. This is not COD. This game controls different. Get used to it duder. 
    Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Ashen
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @chw said:

" I know it's been out for awhile, but I just picked up Killzone 2.  I'm on the first level, and dude -- the controls suck.  There's like a split second delay after every input.  I'm trying to get headshots on enemies and I waste half my clip shooting air.As a test, I tried moving my right stick fast, in a rapid left-right-left-right-left motion.  It got to a point where the camera would look left when I was moving right, and looking right when I was moving left.In all honesty, it makes the game almost unplayable.  I have the "high precision" mode turned on, but it doesn't help.I've never had a problem playing any other FPS (except for Far Cry Instincts, which had a similar input delay).  This is ridiculous. "

And the controls ARE slow. This is not COD. This game controls different. Get used to it duder. 
    "
    He/She should be able to download patches, I just started playing Uncharted 2 today and downloaded + installed 9 patches for it.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ashen said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @chw said:

"
    He/She should be able to download patches, I just started playing Uncharted 2 today and downloaded + installed 9 patches for it. "
    Then my friend is wrong. Says patches do not even work.

Anyways. The game is different then others. Try adjusting  controls in settings. 
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @chw said:

"
    slow isn't latent. Basically its like vsync is on but worse. That IS bad. And the cover controls are awful.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @chw said:

"
    slow isn't latent. Basically its like vsync is on but worse. That IS bad. And the cover controls are awful. "
    What? Who is talking about vsync? The controls for this game are different. I never had issues learning them. 
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7
    @The_Laughing_Man:  Are you serious? Every time I try to download a GOD DAMN patch my system freezes. FFFFFFUUUUUUUU
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @N7 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  Are you serious? Every time I try to download a GOD DAMN patch my system freezes. FFFFFFUUUUUUUU "
    Then who is right? Im not gonna dig out my PS3 and test it patches work. 
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I have a KZ2 and 3 platinum

Didn't find anything hard about it

Instead of coming on a game forum to bitch about controls I played the game.

I may be retarded though, who knows.

chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chw

I was able to download the Killzone 2 patch, actually.  I've already activated "Precision Mode" but it doesn't seem to help.

Anyways.  I guess there's really nothing that can be done at this point.  I'll give it another shot later...

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Raven10

there is indeed a great deal of controller lag. it's something you have to learn to live with.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By korolev

The controls for KZ2 aren't great. They're not horrendously bad, but they're still not very good. Still, I managed to beat the game. Here's a few tips for dealing with the controls:
    1) If the enemy is at close-range or medium-range, don't bother with the iron sights. Just spray them with bullets using the "hip-aiming". Iron sight aiming is a major pain in KZ2, since the controls have this weird acceleration effect in which if you move the stick a little, the gun barely moves, but if you move it too much, it slides around crazily. Also, ammo isn't exactly an issue in the game, so there's no need to worry about spraying enemies and wasting ammo. Also, most enemies are content to hide behind cover all damn day. So take your time. If the enemies throw grenades, don't bother moving. On normal, one grenade cannot kill you, and you recover health very quickly.
    2) If you have to engage an enemy at long range, just take your time and don't expect them to pop their head above cover in the same place - enemies love to shift behind cover. They also tend to somehow magically "Know" if you you are aiming down the sights at them and they will not put their head above cover until you switch from iron sights or stop looking at them.
    3) Remember the knife. On normal, you can take a ton of bullets before going down, and your knife kills enemies in one hit. Just run at the bastards.

Stick with it, though. The controls take a lot of getting used to. I wasn't comfortable with them until half-way through the game (until KZ2, I had almost exclusively played FPS games on the PC). The game never throws too many enemies at you, and it lets you take your time.

You are correct in that the controls for KZ2, even with the "High-Precision" mode are pretty shoddy. Killzone 3, on the other hand, has none of those problems. The controls in Killzone 3 work well, better than the "high-precision" mode in KZ2. The fact that they changed the controls (pretty significantly in my opinion), is an admission that the controls in KZ2 needed some serious work. Luckily, they fixed the controls. Eventually.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Andorski

There is latency in KZ2.  You get around a 9 frame delay from when you push the button to when the action is executed according to Digital Foundry.  I think most people are unable to detect this though.  Most people who don't like how the KZ series controls isn't due to latency, but due to Guerrilla's choice of making the controls feel extremely weighted.  I really like the control design they went for.  It makes you feel like you are a person rather than a camera with a gun attached to it's lower right side.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rmills87

Killzone 3 sped up the controls somewhat, but if you can at least learn to deal with the sluggish controls in Killzone 2, you'll experience a great single player campaign. Killzone 3 is definitely my favorite console FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.