Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Intellivision Amico

Platform »

A console that's intended to be a reimagining of the Intellivision brand.

The Amico Deep Dive for Missile Command looks like a high res Flash game. The sound effects are unbearable.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is embarrassing. The bases look incredibly stupid in multiplayer games and the Amico's now signature lack of animation makes everything look flat and boring. There are no cool lighting effects, no particles, nothing to represent the last 20 years of game development. Tommy brags about the sound in the game and how he recorded actual fireworks, but somehow he thinks that the annoying blaring siren at the start of each round is a good idea. It is not a good idea and I can imagine it would make this game extremely irritating to play for long sessions. The bleeping and blaring other noises are also awful. This sounds like the most obnoxious arcade machine imaginable and not at all like something suited for home play. I do not know what Tommy was thinking with these sound effects but he should have thought of something very different.

In some ways it looks worse than Fantavision, a game that is more than 20 years old but still manages better fireworks animations. It also sounds better, but so does a wood chipper grinding up a sheet of aluminum siding.

It's also worse than Missile Command Recharged from modern Atari.

I don't have much snarky to say about the video itself because the game looks horrible. Who wants to play a relatively basic version of Missile Command in 2021, but doesn't just want to play the original?

Not me!

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I started the first video thinking “oh this sounds so bad I have to check it out”, and I might have lasted 20 seconds at the most. This is… a mess.

Thank you for your service covering this and other Amico games, I’ve been enjoying this series!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@allthedinos: Thanks for reading.

I honestly feel like the Amico is so weird that I need to talk about it, so these threads are my outlet for that.

I really don't know what they're trying to accomplish with these videos. The people who are already Amico committed seem to like them but I can't imagine they're actually going to sell additional units this way. These games look low budget and outdated, but aren't exactly throwbacks either so they won't catch the retro crowd. Who is this thing for? It's fascinating!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.