Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Indie

Concept »

“Indie” or “independently developed” games are video games which are developed by a studio without the support of an external publisher.

Suspension of disbelief.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By reisz

I am enamored of personal game projects.

In the same way my favourite pieces in any collection of concept art are the hastily sketched images drawn on napkins or receipts where an idea is it's most primordial. I enjoy exploring someones personal game project for the same reason, the feeling that an idea has had such an effect that the developer/artist/coder has just had to get it out, it seemingly has more life to it then a highly finished AAA title made by a team of dozens or more.

RPS' Live Free, Play Hard feature has brought several soulful games to my attention, but nothing like this before.

Asphyx

This is suspension of disbelief at it's most pivotal, it's the main mechanic. If you can't suspend your disbelief in even some tiny way, you can't even play this game as it was designed. No lives, no health bar, no breath counter, you can't even die. Yet if you let yourself play it the way it was designed it will have your heart beating like nothing else (Except maybe that sensory deprivation submarine game with the Gas Mask)

There are a lot of mega simple indie platformers out there, but as far as original ideas go, this is pretty damn novel.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By reisz

I am enamored of personal game projects.

In the same way my favourite pieces in any collection of concept art are the hastily sketched images drawn on napkins or receipts where an idea is it's most primordial. I enjoy exploring someones personal game project for the same reason, the feeling that an idea has had such an effect that the developer/artist/coder has just had to get it out, it seemingly has more life to it then a highly finished AAA title made by a team of dozens or more.

RPS' Live Free, Play Hard feature has brought several soulful games to my attention, but nothing like this before.

Asphyx

This is suspension of disbelief at it's most pivotal, it's the main mechanic. If you can't suspend your disbelief in even some tiny way, you can't even play this game as it was designed. No lives, no health bar, no breath counter, you can't even die. Yet if you let yourself play it the way it was designed it will have your heart beating like nothing else (Except maybe that sensory deprivation submarine game with the Gas Mask)

There are a lot of mega simple indie platformers out there, but as far as original ideas go, this is pretty damn novel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That was pretty cool. Reminds me of playing imaginary games when I was younger. Also, I realized how terrible my lungs are.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By reisz

@CosmicBatman said:

That was pretty cool. Reminds me of playing imaginary games when I was younger. Also, I realized how terrible my lungs are.

I got that same feeling, "The floor is lava!" that sort of thing, it's not nostalgia in the way I would have expect from a pixelly side scroller. I ended up compulsively holding my breath once things started to go wrong with those falling platforms, I don't recommend that particular playing style.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

That was really fun. I'm lightheaded now, but it was definitely worth playing, despite the "generic art game" background messages.

would really like this, I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.