Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Chapter 12: "Trauma" is dumb (very minor gameplay spoilers)

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HerbieBug

It's bad level design. Throwback to the days of the random stealth section in games that are otherwise all action. You take everything that is good about the game and toss it. No movement speed, control fidelity or weapon options. This bit of the game should not have been a stealth section. It would have been better as a no consequence mid-chapter story scene. :/

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

I hated that level.  
    So annoying to fail constantly, and it took longer to reset, it felt like, than after dieing on normal levels.

bluefoxxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bluefoxxy

I disagree. It used the mechanics of the game in an alternative manner and succeeded. Sure its not gore and killing cops n doctors, but who cares. Besides, its easy enough to sneak around if you dont walk so fast that you collapse.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xMrSunshine

I totally agree, Worst level by far. Even the boss fight were better. Hated it for exactly the same reasons as well, it took everything that was great about the game and replaced it with a shitty "freak out if you run for too long" mechanic and bad stealth where it's not always clear where people can see you. Windows and nurses seeing through them from weird angles was my biggest problem.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dabe

Without contrast, there is no context. The violence is emphasised through its absence. It's also why the silence drone at the end of each chapter is so effective, as you walk back through the bloody mess of bodies you just destroyed.

It took me 4 tries to complete it too. Not ridiculously difficult.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BisonHero

It was lame, but at least there's almost no reason to replay it aside from finding the secret letter. And it does add an interesting contrast to the story.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TwoLines

It's really easy though. Not a big deal if you can deal with it in , like, 3 minutes.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HerbieBug

three minutes? It took me a half hour to finish that level. O__O

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BisonHero
    @HerbieBug

It took me like 5 minutes to figure out that you can only get past the cop when he's looking at the paper. But once I figured that out, I was done within like 5 minutes.
    Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Willza92
    @BisonHero said:
    @HerbieBug

It took me like 5 minutes to figure out that you can only get past the cop when he's looking at the paper. But once I figured that out, I was done within like 5 minutes.
    Same happened to me, I was about ready to pull my hair out on the the key card on the door bit, but I went and got myself some tea, came back and did it one go after going on that little "theory" that he couldn't spot me with the paper up. Pretty simple after that. While playing I hated the level, on reflection I realize it was a necessary evil to elevate the game. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

For me it was the Goddamn doctor in the small room. Agreed, something that could've been awesome and wasn't.

unavailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By unavailable

Eh. I thought it was really easy, so it didn't really bother me.

While it made sense and seemed kinda cool initially, the intense swerving while you're walking and occasional pauses to deal with a headache or whatever got kinda annoying in a few spots.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By niall_sg1

@BisonHero said:

@HerbieBug

Huh I always just looked faced away from him and was able to walk out of that first room immediately but the moment I looked in his direction I got caught I didn't even notice a paper I just faced south while walking east.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beepmachine

The concept of it was great, but I didn't figure out the newspaper thing either so it took me over an hour easily, which included stopping out of frustration. I think it could have maybe had a few checkpoints or something to make the experience faster.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Synaptic

yeah, it frustrated me, took me too long to figure out when i could go to the elevator

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By dotpatrick

I liked the level even though the end is kind of poorly designed with it not being clear that you can take the elevator.

I think it is one of the more poignant moments in the game. The stuff before, during and just after CH.12 is the stuff that really starts to hammer home the games actual message regarding violence. The dichotomy of going from being this badass to this feeble, mess of a man trying to make his escape was excellent. It is a real turning point for the game after all the little breadcrumbs that has been laid out.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@walkerd: Yeah, I'l give him credit that guy is working for his money.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice post!Anyway allow me to share my opinion regarding trauma.If you want to recover from your traumatic experience you need to ask some help from a psychiatrist to help you recover a side from that you need to under go a therapy.Its not that easy but if your willing to cure yourself by the help of other people its possible for you to recover.Go Further

You are amazing

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Apparently people have absolutely no patience for anything and will call it shit if it doesn't fit within its tight parameters of what they want.

Yes, it was a stealth section. HOWEVER, like every single aspect of the game, it had very clear rules that you had to follow to succeed. I had as much trouble as with any other level, but that's mostly because I'm not a whiny bitch[1].

[1] Source: life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.