Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Hyped for what?

NotARobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By NotARobot
      I just can not see why people are hyped for the upcoming Halo: ODST game. It's Halo without Master chief.  Would anyone here be hyped if Sony created a Jak and Daxter game without Jak and Daxter? I believe not! Before you spam my inbox with "Halo's story can stand on it's own - while Jak and Daxter's story can not be fleshed out in any significant way" I would like to mention that, Yes Halo's story is interesting enough to expand on its own without it's epic hero, however Master Chief is pretty much the focus of all the previous Halo games. Losing the protagonist of this caliber it's self would somewhat destroy the fiction that the Halo universe had on the us. I suppose I will have my woes answered very soon. 

Are you guys hyped for this game? If so, state the reason.
    NotARobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NotARobot
      I just can not see why people are hyped for the upcoming Halo: ODST game. It's Halo without Master chief.  Would anyone here be hyped if Sony created a Jak and Daxter game without Jak and Daxter? I believe not! Before you spam my inbox with "Halo's story can stand on it's own - while Jak and Daxter's story can not be fleshed out in any significant way" I would like to mention that, Yes Halo's story is interesting enough to expand on its own without it's epic hero, however Master Chief is pretty much the focus of all the previous Halo games. Losing the protagonist of this caliber it's self would somewhat destroy the fiction that the Halo universe had on the us. I suppose I will have my woes answered very soon. 

Are you guys hyped for this game? If so, state the reason.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By calidan777

Yes I am hyped because Bungie makes badass games no matter who the main charcter is. Bungie made awesome games before they made Halo, so I have complete confidence in them.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Pazy

Im not really "hyped" for it (I get very rarely hyped for much of anything more mildly interested) but the fact its not got Master Cheif in it dosent bother me since he's not what I remember about playing past Halo games, I mostly remember the gameplay. Also the fact that ODST is going to be similer to Halo but with some differences im hoping that it fills my need for more Halo but dosent get so similer than it feels like more (im pretty much at the burnt out point).

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

So much bold.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm actually looking forward to an Halo game not featuring Master Chief or any Spartans (of what we know of). So sick of Master Chief, the game isn't exactly hyped but anticipated.  

Which is saying something considering my dislike for Halo 3. But ODST as something different, reminds me a little of the original Halo in some respects. Plus I have always enjoyed the multiplayer and it would be nice to get into that again with all maps available. Just hope that pathetic matchmaking system works properly for me (I hate that matchmaking system). 

Not forgetting Firefight which look fun.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheDoorman

Since when was this game hyped?  

Just kidding. I'm not buying ODST but already preordered MW 2 which will be better than ODST.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Illmatic

I always thought people enjoyed Halo games more for the mechanics than the character. Yes, the character Master Chief is a well known character, but I don't see it affecting the game as much as a platforemer's characters, a genre that has depended on their title characters since their inception.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By calidan777
    @TheDoorman said:
    " Since when was this game hyped?      Just kidding. I'm not buying ODST but already preordered MW 2 which will be better than ODST. "
    Remember, facts and opinions are not the same thing. Just sayin'.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Your blog post focuses only on the story perspective as opposed to the bigger picture which includes such things as gameplay.

Story, necessary; but the most important element absolutely not.

NotARobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NotARobot
    @ThePhantomnaut: I agree, story is not and should not be the soul decision when purchasing a game.  However the only new content in this game only consists of the new chapter in the halo universe and the new firefight mode. While the multiplayer is just Halo 3's online component with the old DLC thrown in for good measure. My comment is only meant toward the story component.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

All right, well from a Halo universe perspective, New Mombasa was basically forgotten in Halo 3 and left for me questioning whatever happened to the city post-slipspace. No Chief and sucks but it reminds me of Half-Life with Barney Calhoun (Blue Shift) and Adrian Shepard (Opposing Force), it felt weird initially since I was not playing as the Freeman but it's more about experiencing it from another perspective. It feet unusual playing as a protagonist who was part of one of the antagonistic groups yet it can be rewarding if done correctly and I hope ODST can achieve that.

I am not hyped for it but I am excited to understand and experience.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By calidan777
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @calidan777 said:
    " @TheDoorman said:
    " Since when was this game hyped?      Just kidding. I'm not buying ODST but already preordered MW 2 which will be better than ODST. "
    Remember, facts and opinions are not the same thing. Just sayin'. "
    It will be however "
    You forgot to put "I think" at the beginning of that sentence. Just sayin'.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaneDev

If you don't like it don't buy it, its that simple

NotARobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NotARobot
    @ThePhantomnaut: Actually this is a very good point. The examples you listed did make me rethink my perception on the subject. I still will fall back on my original opinion about the subject if asked, however your comment did spark a bit of intrigue within me. Hopefully IGN's upcoming review, that should be going up today, will close this subject nicely.
    RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RetroIce4

I hyped for the new part in ODST where Master Chief was watching a new season of Clone High and Ghandi is shooting the Peanut,

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Master Chief is a fairly shit character. He's a boring supersoldier with very little personality and virtually no room for character development. Thus, I'm more hyped for this game than I would be for a game staring Master Chief. I feel that the halo universe is very interesting, but the one dimensional nature of the main character has been hindering the games story development. ODST seems like it will be more human, and the characters will be more relatable. It just seems a more interesting premise.

I'm still not particularly hyped for it, but I'm looking forward to it far more than I would be if it starred Master Chief.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dude, it's Halo.

I'm not a Halo fan, but if Valve broke the news that Half Life: EP3 didn't star Gordon Freeman I would still be pretty hyped about it because dude, it's Half Life! 
     *Edit* Oh yeah, I see Phantomnaught beat me to the punch there.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hitchenson
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @calidan777 said:
    " @TheDoorman said:
    Remember, facts and opinions are not the same thing. Just sayin'. "
    ODST looks awesome, far better than CoD: MW2. "  

I agree with you on that one Peas.
    NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By NickM

Why are people excited about MW2? I mean, you are not playing as ummm... hmm... whoever you played as in Call of Duty 1, I guess? You know? That guy!

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hitchenson
    @NickM said:

" Why are people excited about MW2? I mean, you are not playing as ummm... hmm... whoever you played as in Call of Duty 1, I guess? You know? That guy! "

Don't try to question stupidity.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've heard this argument before and while I understand why people may not want to play a Halo game without the iconic Spartan in green, this is essentially an argument that changing the main character has turned the biggest FPS of the 21st century into a poor game.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By big_jon
    @PeasForFees:
    I look forward to this more that MW2. It is the same great halo 3 gameplay only more focused and with a new design. It will be good in most peoples eyes. But MW2 looks very good too.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24  Edited By natetodamax

They're hyped because Halo is in the title.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pweidman

Even Bungie knew this was a bit of a gamble for precisely the reasons you mentioned tc.   They wanted to break the mold of what people can expect from a Halo game.  ODST will be different than the previous three Halo games...hopefully in a good way.  For anyone interested, this video really gives the game some good development background and Bungie's motivations for making the game.  They're even honest enough to admit guessing if they screwed the pooch,lol. 

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/852871/bungie-project-2/videos/haloodst_spc_terraincognita_091509.html    

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By breadfan
    @natetodamax said:
    " They're hyped because Halo is in the title. "
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    What's a Halo? 

Is he a pretty cool guy eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything? 

In all seriousness, the last time I played Halo, it was called Unreal Tournament 1 and it still sucked.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seedofpower
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " So much bold. "
    Tryin to sound tough.
    NotARobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NotARobot
    I'm very happy to say that I was proven wrong about the story line of the game. Great work Bungie! 

(adding in the Bold so I can try to sound tough)
    Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Southgrove

Couldn't care less about the Halo franchise, really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.