Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Called up for active duty.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I have been called for active duty.  It was in my e-mail box this morning: 

Fortunately for me, I have an excuse, it is on the bottom of the page under "Important Notice".   

I do suffer from a mental condition, it is called Halo Boredom.  I have been on 2 tours of duty, was injured with boredom very early on, so I won't be going on active duty again.  ^-^ 

Everyone else signed up at Xbox Live getting this e-mail?  Who is reporting for duty?  Who considers this good marketing?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Ugh, what's with the ODST background and color scheme on this board? If I wanted to see this shit, I'd go to Gamestop.

Sorry, a little off topic.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @natetodamax said:

" Ugh, what's with the ODST background and color scheme on this board? If I wanted to see this shit, I'd go to Gamestop.  Sorry, a little off topic. "

Hey, good off topic though.  I hate it also, so feel free to rag on it as much as you like.  It makes me feel dirty and I just showered.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @natetodamax said:
    " Ugh, what's with the ODST background and color scheme on this board? If I wanted to see this shit, I'd go to Gamestop.  Sorry, a little off topic. "
    I don't see the problem with it. It's hardly distracting or in the way.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @creamypies: I find it a bit annoying because in every video there's a 20 second ODST ad with dirty screaming men, ODST ads all over the site, and when I clicked on this doods blog the forums were blue with an ODST background and blue lettering.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

Pretty neat email.  I don't see why anyone would specifically complain about a Halo skin in the Halo section of a forum, but whatever...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude
    @natetodamax said:

@natetodamax said:

" @creamypies: I find it a bit annoying because in every video there's a 20 second ODST ad with dirty screaming men, ODST ads all over the site, and when I clicked on this doods blog the forums were blue with an ODST background and blue lettering. "

I like it. I've watched a few videos and the ads are really well produced. Makes me want to go back into the military. I like the blue tint to the forums as well, it feels... different and crazy.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @kmdrkul said:
    " Pretty neat email.  I don't see why anyone would specifically complain about a Halo skin in the Halo section of a forum, but whatever... "
    Even though I have no intention of buying the game, I quite like the marketing concept.  Speaking as a person with a marketing background, whilst it isn't world altering in its brilliance, it does a good job.  I do however have a concern that if every new game released oon the 360 came with some sort of ad to me in my e-mails, it would get annoying and become spam.  I know I can just delete it, but it would still be annoying.  Then, standing out from the crowd with this kind of marketing would be very difficult.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By natetodamax
    @Claude: I do agree that the blue tint is cool. I suppose my slight frustration comes from the fact that I have no interest in ODST at all. It would be cool to see this thing implemented in the future for different games that I care about (like being able to choose color schemes or whatever).

I feel like I'm contradicting myself.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By buzz_killington
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Claude: I do agree that the blue tint is cool. I suppose my slight frustration comes from the fact that I have no interest in ODST at all. It would be cool to see this thing implemented in the future for different games that I care about (like being able to choose color schemes or whatever).  I feel like I'm contradicting myself. "
    I just worry where it will end.  Being commercial is one thing, it pays the bills, but when it becomes intrusive or it just makes this site look like every other commercial site, then it doesn't feel right.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @natetodamax said:
    Don't know what you're talking about, this skin is pretty snazzy.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Claude: I do agree that the blue tint is cool. I suppose my slight frustration comes from the fact that I have no interest in ODST at all. It would be cool to see this thing implemented in the future for different games that I care about (like being able to choose color schemes or whatever).  I feel like I'm contradicting myself. "
    I would like to see different colors for different games. You're in that forum's universe, so to speak. I don't like the Halo universe either, but hey, go for it. Different colors for different games. Let the marketing of games begin!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @buzz_killington said:

" You guys might want to discuss the ad-layout here:

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-3-odst/61-24035/what-do-you-think-of-the-odst-adds-on-this-forum/35-260765/#78

And I laughed at your joke about the "Important Notice" excuse.  "

I guess I never noticed that thread due to the fact that I don't plan on getting the game.   

As for my little folly:
     Fortunately for me, I have an excuse, it is on the bottom of the page under "Important Notice".   

I do suffer from a mental condition, it is called Halo Boredom.  I have been on 2 tours of duty, was injured with boredom very early on, so I won't be going on active duty again.  ^-^ 

I am sure it will be a good game, so I just wanted to dig in a gentle and hopefully amusing way.  At least it worked for one  ^_^
    LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By LincoIn

Yeah it's a pretty cool marketing scheme from MS, nice to see them trying out of the ordinary stuff.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Bigandtasty

I honestly like the marketing so far. That email is pretty entertaining, though it doesn't really hype me up for ODST. This skin for Halo forums is interesting and looks good. It's a little annoying to see video ads in general, but it's nothing life-threatening.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Milkman
    @natetodamax said:
    It's not like the whole site is skinned with it. It's only the ODST page so essentially, only the people who are interested in ODST will see it. People whining about these skins or the ads before the videos is really getting old. The site needs to make money. And that means putting up ads. Eventually, little ads above the pages don't cut it and you need more than that. It's not like some game sites where there's dick pill ads on every page. All the ads are for video games and for video games, that most people are interested in. Giant Bomb has it a lot better than most sites as far as ads go and whining about just makes you sound like a spoiled brat.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By natetodamax
    @Milkman: Try reading my other posts.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Someone's going to frame this and that makes me sad. :-(

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By breadfan
    @natetodamax said:
    " @creamypies: I find it a bit annoying because in every video there's a 20 second ODST ad with dirty screaming men, ODST ads all over the site, and when I clicked on this doods blog the forums were blue with an ODST background and blue lettering. "
    The text is white for me.  Personally I don't mind it, it gives Giant Bomb some ad support and the page looks cool.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TheHBK

Actually an ODST theme or theme for appropriate games is pretty cool. 
    Anyway, anyone else think they are hyping this game in a really gay way?  I fucking hate sgt johnson.  His ass thinks he is badass because he is black and he got off halo, even though his ass didnt do anything, then they try to make him cool by giving him a story.  Remember when the first Halo came out and he was just a black guy you could kill during the campaign?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.