Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Remember Black Mesa Source?

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By angelkanarias

It's been over a year and the developer team (moders) hasn't given a single update. 

It's sad to see the project is going so bad probably because of organisation or maybe even funding or manpower (just guessing here). The game sure looks great (see the video) and it gave me the hopes of finally having a way to finish half-life 1. I don't know why but I am never able to finish HL1 because it becomes monotonous or I just get stuck and blame the gods. The graphics and physics are astounding in the developer videos of Black Mesa Source and it could make HL1 easier to chew for people like me and poor young fellas who don't know about the amazing half-life universe. 

These type of things make me think about forgotten projects like the mythical Episode 3 and if they are even in the works. 

Anyways, hope this game is finished, I've been waiting too long. Sometimes I feel as if they owe me an explanation, but they really don't.
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By angelkanarias

It's been over a year and the developer team (moders) hasn't given a single update. 

It's sad to see the project is going so bad probably because of organisation or maybe even funding or manpower (just guessing here). The game sure looks great (see the video) and it gave me the hopes of finally having a way to finish half-life 1. I don't know why but I am never able to finish HL1 because it becomes monotonous or I just get stuck and blame the gods. The graphics and physics are astounding in the developer videos of Black Mesa Source and it could make HL1 easier to chew for people like me and poor young fellas who don't know about the amazing half-life universe. 

These type of things make me think about forgotten projects like the mythical Episode 3 and if they are even in the works. 

Anyways, hope this game is finished, I've been waiting too long. Sometimes I feel as if they owe me an explanation, but they really don't.
    FraggingRights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FraggingRights

I frequently remember this mod. I'm always hoping it will come out one day. 

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @angelkanarias said:
    .  These type of things make me think about forgotten projects like the mythical Episode 3 and if they are even in the works.
    IT'LL COME OUT NEXT YEAR! REALLY IT WILL!
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Duke Nukem Forever is coming out this year, isn't that enough?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By beforet
    @Delta_Ass said:
    Duke Nukem forever is really just Black Mesa Source.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Azteck
    @Beforet said:
    @Delta_Ass said:
    See this would amp my interest for that game.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Isnt he also the guy who pretty much fully insulted the Japan Crisis?  

Somthing about him saying" Why all the buthurt over the issues over there since it didnt happen to us" 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Mesa Source is Episode 3 :O

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By angelkanarias
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Isnt he also the guy who pretty much fully insulted the Japan Crisis?   Somthing about him saying" Why all the buthurt over the issues over there since it didnt happen to us" 
    yeah, I read something about him saying something like ''they did us pearl harbor so fuck them''. He's a dick, but that doesn't mean my heart longs for black mesa.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @angelkanarias said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Isnt he also the guy who pretty much fully insulted the Japan Crisis?   Somthing about him saying" Why all the buthurt over the issues over there since it didnt happen to us" 
    yeah, I read something about him saying something like ''they did us pearl harbor so fuck them''. He's a dick, but that doesn't mean my heart longs for black mesa.
    Also. Didnt he get like props from Valve on his hard work? Sounds more like he just stopped working on it. 
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Gawd! I remember that, looks so awesome!

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By angelkanarias
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @angelkanarias said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Also. Didnt he get like props from Valve on his hard work? Sounds more like he just stopped working on it. 
    I hope not, if he stopped WHO'S GONNA MAKE THIS GAME?
    HummingLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HummingLight

Half-Life 1 is a very memorable gaming experience for me.  However, I'll never go back to it, knowing that it is simply too dated in a few areas for me to want to play it again (not really the graphics, but other stuff).  I was always very intrigued by Black Mesa Source but assumed from the beginning that it wouldn't go anywhere.  It was a very ambitious project and employed a very large number of people for a mod, making it an easy assumption that it wouldn't ever be truly finished.  Sad, but true.
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By angelkanarias
    @HummingLight said:
    Half-Life 1 is a very memorable gaming experience for me.  However, I'll never go back to it, knowing that it is simply too dated in a few areas for me to want to play it again (not really the graphics, but other stuff).  I was always very intrigued by Black Mesa Source but assumed from the beginning that it wouldn't go anywhere.  It was a very ambitious project and employed a very large number of people for a mod, making it an easy assumption that it wouldn't ever be truly finished.  Sad, but true.
    Yeah, it's an ambitious project and I think they lack in discipline or simply an incentive in finishing it. I guess I'll have to force myself someday in finishing the damned game.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By DeeGee

The lead developer posts almost daily on the forums answering questions about the game.

So yeah, not dead.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

This is cute.  

Did we even have Twitter a year and a half ago? Who knows! Its been so long!      
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

I was trying to play the first Half-Life, just so hard with the graphics.  But as I was playing Portal 2, it reminded me of Half-Life, the lonely adventure in a facility built into the rock, with the whole thing falling apart. 
    this whole series started in 1998, and I still cannot really piece together the story beyond what happens in the games.  I want the bigger picture damn it.  What is the big deal about portal technology to begin with?  Where is the gluon gun?  What happened to the Aperture Labs scientists?  Would they not help out Eli vance too?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Uhh, there has been a rumor though. Valve told them not to release it so close to Portal 2, and other rumors are going around that Valve is going to take it and put it into an orange box type game with HL ep 3. Huge rumors, but I can see it happening. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

I have "old school like the old school" burnt into my mind.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By angelkanarias
    @DeeGee said:
    The lead developer posts almost daily on the forums answering questions about the game.  So yeah, not dead.
    If you have a link to that you'll be like a god for me. 

@TheHBK said:
    I was trying to play the first Half-Life, just so hard with the graphics.  But as I was playing Portal 2, it reminded me of Half-Life, the lonely adventure in a facility built into the rock, with the whole thing falling apart. this whole series started in 1998, and I still cannot really piece together the story beyond what happens in the games.  I want the bigger picture damn it.  What is the big deal about portal technology to begin with?  Where is the gluon gun?  What happened to the Aperture Labs scientists?  Would they not help out Eli vance too?
    I help myself with the half life wikipedia stuff and I've got the big picture pretty figured out. The aperture lab scientists are dead, glados killed all of them with neurotoxin on ''bring your daughter to work'' day. for the rest, I can't really respond.  

@BestUsernameEver said:
    Uhh, there has been a rumor though. Valve told them not to release it so close to Portal 2, and other rumors are going around that Valve is going to take it and put it into an orange box type game with HL ep 3. Huge rumors, but I can see it happening. 
    If they made that ''orange box'' I'd jizz in my pants pretty hard.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Mikemcn said:
    This is cute.  

How is "gih" pronounced?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's been in development for what, 5-6 years now? What's another 5-6 years for a mod that, like all ambitious fan-made projects, kills its own hype by taking forever to come out? It's ok though. Even if it comes out, it probably will be at best ok.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By FilipHolm

I feel old...

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By EuanDewar

I've said this before but I wouldn't be suprised if they have been offered jobs at Valve. They seem to have a history of hiring people who do cool stuff with their games.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Azteck said:
    @Beforet said:
    @Delta_Ass said:
    What if I told you all that Duke Nukem Forever is just Black Mesa Source which is really just Half-Life 2 Episode 3?
    FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FilipHolm
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    @Azteck said:
    @Beforet said:
    @Delta_Ass said:
    What if I told you all that Duke Nukem Forever is just Black Mesa Source which is really just Half-Life 2 Episode 3?
    My Brain just exploded...... Machete?
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By DeeGee
    @angelkanarias said:
    @DeeGee said:
    The lead developer posts almost daily on the forums answering questions about the game.  So yeah, not dead.
    If you have a link to that you'll be like a god for me. 

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?p=384295#post384295

I like my virgins sacrificed on a weeping moon, for future reference.
    Abram03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Abram03
    @HummingLight: True about Half Life 1; I only finished it and its add-ons because of the acute gaming masochism I was suffering from at the time.  Staggering in scope for its time, deserving of its place in everybody's VG museum, but not very fun at all to play.  I agree about the graphics; ugly graphics can have charm (the arcade classic Venture is, oddly enough, an aesthetic delight), but ugly gameplay?  Never.
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By jillsandwich

Episode 3, Black Mesa Source and Duke Nukem Forever are never seen in the same place at the same time. Coincidence?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.