Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gravity Rush 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 18, 2017

A follow-up to one of Vita's most acclaimed original games.

Online features are shutting down for Gravity Rush 2 on January 19

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

The game's online features were really fun and creative, I like the way you could share your own quirky photo hints for other players, and they can use them to find treasure of Dusty Tokens used to unlock costumes. I also liked how you could challenge other players to do the different challenges in a time frame, beat their score in real-time.

All of that is going away later this month so if you haven't played the game yet, it might be about time to assemble some tokens to unlock stuff! And have fun with the photo mode!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

A year seems too fast.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I too really liked the online features for this game. I can only imagine the sales didn't justify the server upkeep which is a bummer because this was not only my GOTY in 2017, it's in my 3 games of all time, maybe even creeping up on that #1 spot, but I digress.

Since there will probably be a lot more people on in the next few weeks, if you want easy Dusty Tokens, just throw on 2B's outfit and take an ungodly amount of upskirt shots across the world and make sure to send out every one. Don't ask how I know this. But you know how I know this. Also, just do any and every treasure hint you come across, send out all your times/scores in every trial even if you think they suck, etc.

I did just genuinely enjoy taking photos though which is a rare thing for me to do in any game. Between the poses, photo items, and freedom of movement available in the gameplay, there was a lot of variety in just the type of shots you could take. Don't ask me why taking a photo of Kat saluting while she's floating upside down in the middle of town is so damn charming. It just is.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought the game during the holiday sale just to unlock the costumes before they shut it all down. For me, this is worse than whatever shit they complained about Nintendo's online stuff during the GOTY.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By liquiddragon

I hope they put up those costumes for download, I can't even imagine having 7000 Dusty Tokens.

RIP GR2 online features

No Caption Provided

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Sdoots

Can someone explain what the online functionality is/was? I played a ton of GR1 on Vita but never got around to picking up 2, and I cannot fathom how online features would work.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

@sdoots: There are time attack challenges around the world you can compete in to earn tokens to unlock stuff. There are hidden treasures scattered throughout you can take pictures of and its surroundings to help others find them, again to earn tokens. You can share photos and rate them for tokens as well. You'll want to take pictures 'cause the game is gorgeous.

So nothing game breaking, mostly fun side attractions but I thought it added to the charm of the game and some good stuff locked behind the tokens like costumes and a number powerful talismans, which are like perks.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad I played this game at launch. I can't imagine someone playing the game for the first time in recent months would be able to get all the dusty token unlocks.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked this up recently, played a few hours but haven't been back since my PS4 is pretty much indisposed right now. Annoyed that I won't have time to unlock all that stuff (especially if it's just going to be permanently unavailable afterwards), and also because the features themselves seemed pretty neat.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is the online stuff the only way to get the tokens and unlock costumes? I got the game during a holiday sale, but I haven`t gotten around to it yet and my game plate kinda full at the moment, so I wasn`t on playing it right away, but if major stuff is taken out of the game I might have to play it sooner rather than later.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By liquiddragon

@odinsmana: The online features are neat and would be the major thing we're losing. While not essential, it's a shame to see some components of the game taken out so soon. They are the only way to earn tokens but locked behind are just 3 costumes, 3 talismans (perks), and couple photo items and gestures. Vast majority of the costumes, talismans, photo items, and gestures can be got without tokens. Still, it's a shame and hope they make it available for download.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: The online features are neat and would be the major thing we're losing. While not essential, it's a shame to see some components of the game taken out so soon. They are the only way to earn tokens but locked behind are just 3 costumes, 3 talismans (perks), and couple photo items and gestures. Vast majority of the costumes, talismans, photo items, and gestures can be got without tokens. Still, it's a shame and hope they make it available for download.

OK, thank you. It`s good to hear not too much stuff is locked behind the tokens that could potentially be lost (though hopefully they will make it available through downloads like you said). Some of the online activities sound neat though and it seems like a real bummer to lose that stuff under a year after release. I`ll have to try to get in and check that stuff out before they shut off the servers.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Before I bought it I decided I woudn't care about those costumes (the only thing from the Dusty Token store I would have really cared about). I'm just not feeling up to the grind, based on what I already know about it. If it was a regular-ass grind of "kill these things" or "run these laps and do activities/open chests" I'd probably be fine with busting through it real quick.

Shame that when the servers go down they don't just give everyone 6000 Dusty Tokens, or however many is needed to unlock everything.

Though of the only two costumes I'm really interested in, one was free DLC and the other requires a save import from Gravity Rush Remastered (which I'm not really interested in playing, nor buying for a single costume).

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#14  Edited By Kidavenger

Honestly it's pretty easy to get the tokens now I ended up with 4000 just playing through the game and only doing the treasure hunts.

I'd be really surprised if they turned off the servers and didn't offer some alternate way to get the tokens.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheChris

I think they've made it easier to get them, so I should really get on with it too, I've gotten quite a few of the costumes but not all of them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In playing games from last year that I haven't but thought I'd check out, and are Japanese-y, like Nier, I was thinking about getting the first games remaster on PS4 and then after that, playing the second Gravity Rush. My brother has the first on Vita (but I'd rather play it on PS4) and he bought Gravity Rush 2 so that's already there to play. That sucks that the online functionality is already getting taken off, I guess that was a huge component in getting you upgraded? However, if it doesn't factor in making the game much worse, I'm not sure I care in the end.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@ntm said:

That sucks that the online functionality is already getting taken off, I guess that was a huge component in getting you upgraded? However, if it doesn't factor in making the game much worse, I'm not sure I care in the end.

I really hope they patch in the rewards for those who couldn't participate, but if you miss out on it, you're really not missing much. I have all the rewards and 90% of it is just fluff. Gestures and photo items only matter if you care about taking pictures. There's furniture for your "house," but you can't actually do anything in your house. It's essentially a screensaver to see how Kat reacts to all the little things you place there. There are also costumes but those don't affect gameplay at all and either way, you still get most thru the story and/or side-quests or having a GR1 save on the same system. The talismans you get are the only thing that affect gameplay and none of them are so good that you need to have them . Even the one that gives you unlimited gauge comes with the downside of reduced attack so it's not like it's going to break the game. Hell, by the end of the game, your gauge lasts so long and getting around is so easy (assuming you bothered to unlock the manholes) that that specific talisman is more of a fun little novelty than anything else.

So, you don't need to feel about missing out imo. Again, I still hope they patch in the rewards for everyone, but honestly, aside from the costumes imo, everything else is expendable. And even then, the costumes only matter if you give a shit about that sort of thing.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is, treasure hunting is a lot of fun, I think. And the The loss isn't really on the items, but in how fun this incredibly creative asynchronous multiplayer feature is, and how many people will never get to experience it. The fact that they couldn't keep it up for more than a year is just... well it's lame to put it mildly.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So the literally only paid for a year of server time. Game launched Jan 20 2017, servers shut down Jan 19 2018.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been messing around with GR2 again to see how much Dusty Token I can collect and unlock some of the stuff associated with it before the server shuts down. They've upped the pay out quite a bit and a single treasure hunt will net 80 DTs. I was around 1500 DTs when I beat the game and now passed 2000 just playing around last night so 6000 to unlock everything seems totally doable before 1/20.

However, what I'm realizing now is how much of a bummer it is to lose the online component. Open world games and games in general, but especially OW games, have a post game problem of feeling empty and dead. GR2 totally solves this issue in a meaningful way with the time attack challenges, treasure hunts, and photo sharing that's generated by the players and potentially endless. At the same time, those things also encourage exploration of the beautiful world, something open world games very often fail to do.

iam16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a damn shame. I never got around to play GR2.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheChris

Update update time

No Caption Provided

The closure of the servers have been delayed 'till July, yay!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thechris: That's good news. At least people who picked it up during the recent sale won't have to rush and experience the game at a normal pace now.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This extended ad is pretty cool.

Loading Video...

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thechris: As someone who basically just found out this game existed, that is excellent news. Now I just need to go grab it.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank fucking god. Dont want to rush it in a week.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thechris: Great! Hearing about one of those items being one that lets you fly fall forever got me a tad bummed about potentially having to grind it out for a week or miss out on something like that. Now I can get around to it at my leisure.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Must have done well during the holiday sale. I just beat Gravity Rush 1 and am excited to jump into the second one ASAP and being able to make proper use of the online stuff.

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Hooray! Just finished Tekken & Assassin’s Creed, now seems like the best time to tick this game off of the backlog.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sweetz

Since I just finished the game, here's some info for anyone concern about getting the unlockables:

It took me 32 hours to "finish" the game. "Finish" for me means I did all the side quests and gold medal'ed all the challenges, but did not get all the unlockables or do really obscure ancillary stuff like finding the hidden things to photograph. I also didn't mess with mining at all (because it's awful).

Unsurprisingly, it doesn't seem like many people are playing the game, so I didn't get many challenges or challenge responses. Specifically I got 3 challenges and 2 responses to my own challenges (sent to random players) over that whole time. I also didn't get any picture reviews, though I only put a dozen or so up for review. So the main method of getting Dusty tokens are the treasure hunts, which I'm guessing are shared with multiple people and pull from a backlog and are thus not reliant on a bunch of people still playing the game. You get 80 tokens a pop for these, but it seems like you can only get 3 at a time on some timer - but unfortunately I couldn't figure out the duration of the timer (and no one else seems to have the answer either).

I mostly played the game a couple hours a day over the course of 3 weeks. I had 3 new treasure hunts each time I loaded the game, but didn't get any more in the same session. The few weekends where I played it for longer, I still didn't seem to get more than 3 in the same session. However, if I quit the game to eat a meal or whatever and then game back to it, I had 3 new hunts. I never played the game for more than 4 hours in one sitting, so the timer must be at least 4 hours...or perhaps it has nothing to do with a timer and it's just each time you start the game, I don't know.

Anyway, I just barely hit 4000 Dusty tokens by the time I finished all the quests, so the math roughly checks out: I estimate I had somewhere around 16 play sessions * 3 treasures each session * 80 tokens each treasure = 3840 tokens, combined with a few tokens earned from challenges gets me a little over 4000.

Unfortunately, that means if I want to get to 6000, 'll have to load the game up at least 9 more times over likely 9 days just to grind out 3 treasures each day...but of course the unlock is kind of moot since I'm otherwise done the game. I believe Dusty Tokens are account specific and not save specific, so in theory getting the unlocks could be useful for an eventual future replay of the game, but if they're taking down the online service I don't know what's going to tell the game my account has 6000+ Dusty Tokens if I start a new game. Actually that seems like it will be a really nasty surprise for people who eventually start a new game and think they're "good" because they already earned their 6000 tokens on their account.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Sony charges people $60 a year just to play games online and still can't be bothered to keep servers up for more than a year lmao. What a load of shit.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetz: Really wish they'd push an update that just unlocks all that stuff for every player once the servers shut down. I assume it's not nearly that easy, or at least I hope that's the reason if it doesn't happen.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sweetz

@theht said:

@sweetz: Really wish they'd push an update that just unlocks all that stuff for every player once the servers shut down. I assume it's not nearly that easy, or at least I hope that's the reason if it doesn't happen.

To be fair, we don't know that isn't part of the plan. AFAIK, they never provided any details other than "the service will be shutdown". However, given that they'd presumably have to invest some development time and money in removing the whole Dusty Token system, for a game where they don't even want to pay to run a server, it does seem unlikely. That said, given that the last unlock is kind of a cheat item, it's arguable whether it would be harming the game if it was unlocked at the start. Maybe what would be reasonable is if they unlocked it upon completion of the main quest, since it seems like something most players would never get during their first playthrough of the game anyway, especially not at the rate that tokens were earned when the game was new.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.