Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo Sport

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 17, 2017

Polyphony Digital's driving simulator comes to PlayStation 4 with a strong focus on competitive online multiplayer.

This game's era is coming to the end and what are your final thoughts?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Dear Motorsport fans

Here is an article that I've found from Traxion.GG as they give their final thoughts on this game while GT7 is coming out by March 4th:

End of an era: GT Sport Daily Races w/c 28th February 2022 | Traxion

So this inspired me to make this thread and share my short thoughts on this:

To me, this game appears to be like Gran Turismo 7 Prologue (By judging for having light content and the title wise sounds like a reboot, to begin with) so I believe that FIA asked Polyphony Digital (The developer) to more focus on online multiplayer mode, and it sounds more like iRacing of Simcade.

However, the community praises the game for having improved driving physics and engine audio over the previous installments by hiring better physics and audio director plus not to mention that Mike Caviezel used to work on Forza Motorsport series' car engine audio and he currently works for Gran Turismo series.

There was a lot of additional content via updates and the final car they got for this is Toyota GR 86 (I guess Toyota wanted to promote this car in the game).

The online is pretty good despite there being a lot of toxic players as they ram onto others purposely, well these cheaters are officially giving Gran Turismo fans a bad name, just like how Forza Motorsport rammers/cheaters are giving Forza fans a bad name as well.

Even YouTubers like Super GT has delt many of them as he posts them onto YouTube.

And the scape mode is pretty fun to take screenshots of the virtual cars in various locations.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All my experience with GT Sport was through Super GT, i love racing sims like Forza and GT but the very hardcore sims like iRacing are too much for me, i can't even get a Mazda MX-5 round a corner in those games, so i never tried GT Sport myself but it is fun to watch other people play it.

GT7 is in a weird place, Sport was for the more hardcore crowd with difficult physics and a stringent (sometimes overly so) penalty system, i assume GT7 will be taking it back to the more approachable sim of the previous titles, Sport fans are excited for GT7 but when it comes to online... won't they just go back to Sport?
    There's lots of talk of Sport coming to an end like GT7 will take over, but if it doesn't have the hardcore physics and penalty system it's not going to is it?

Either GT7 is going to have a separate hardcore mode for fans of Sport, or it's going to be so difficult casual fans won't want to play it.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GTxForza

@cikame: For Mazda MX-5 it's a pretty easy car for me to drive in iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series until I got used to higher tier cars such as GT3 class, Le Mans Prototype 1, etc.

Also, I heard driving assists will still appear in GT7 (For the newcomers and newer generations of players).

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have no experience with this game at all.

But i do remember when this game was announced there was some hype about how the FIA was involved and players could earn an actual racing licence through playing the game. Did that ever come off the ground?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: To me, this sounds more like a virtual racing license.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@gtxforza: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gran-turismo-sport-will-let-you-earn-a-real-racing/1100-6441292/

"We also have the FIA Gran Turismo Digital License. This is a program that provides a real motorsports license* after achieving a certain level of performance within the game. Myself, I have a motorsports license, but acquiring that motorsports license is actually pretty difficult. It takes a lot of time, it takes a lot of money--and throughout the world right now, there are fewer and fewer people becoming newly involved in motorsports. So this is a program that really aims to increase the popularity of motorsports in the real world.

"To become eligible for the license, you have to complete the racing etiquette mode, achieve silver or better results in all the campaign mode events, and then maintain or exceed a certain level of driver class and sportsmanship points."

* Editor's note: Though the license you can earn through GT Sport qualifies as a "real" license, a motorsports license is not the same thing as a driver's license. A motorsports or racing license allows you to legally participate in on-track events.

I remember this being a pretty big deal back when it was announced, but i haven't heard much afterwards of Gran Turismo players getting into real-life track racing.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GTxForza

@onemanarmyy: Oh, now I've finally remembered about that, not to mention one of the GT eSports players called Igor Fraga, who is currently a Formula 3 racer.

vic11con

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still remember how hyped up I was for the game when it got announced. Although this was a bit more difficult to play than forza and others.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: Hmm. This guy has been racing on tracks since 2015. It's not a success-story of someone getting their motorsports licence through GT Sport and transititioning that into real-life track racing.

This Reddit thread seems to say that it was a feature that they talked up before release, but never made it into the actual game. Is that true?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.