Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

Forza Horizon takes the racing off the track and drops it into an open world full of various activities.

For Forza Veterans...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

I love Forza 3 and 4. Forza 4 was my personal GOTY last year. I dove in deep with that game and mastered the mechanics as much as I was able to (or had the time to do). They are incredible games. But...

Well, with Forza Horizon when I think back to Forza 3 and 4 they feel sort of stale and boring in comparison. The Horizon party atmosphere is perfectly balanced to me. That atmosphere alone isn't great and would be irritating as all hell if it was overbearing. But it is just prevalent enough that it gives the game this really interesting, fun atmosphere. That paired with the music and the setting makes this game just feel "lively". Forza 3 and 4 feel old and boring in comparison to me.

So for those who have played the other Forza games do you think Horizons' more "lively" atmosphere effects your appreciation of the other Forza games? Do you think the next main entry for Forza could use a bump in its "liveliness" to match the presentation of Horizon while still trying to keep the two series as separate?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mfpantst

@JasonR86: Yes and no. Forza 4 feels surgical clean in comparison to horizon. Which is weird and more than a little off putting. However, (at least with 4) the visual look is so much more lifelike than horizon, and the frame rate is noticeably better that I enjoy going back to 4 here and there. However, in general, I'm liking Horizon way more than I ever liked 4 (in retrospective).

I'd also contend that this game (Horizon) is made for the way I approach racing games where I was always shoe-horning my abilities into the model Forza 4 provided.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By grilledcheez

The first couple Forza games had incredible soundtracks...at the very least they should get back to having that like they have in Horizon.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Nah I prefer the style of the past Forza games. The three radio stations got on my nerves after an hour or so and I just shut the radio off. The previous games definitely had better music.

I find the festival atmosphere kinda lame and forced. It's pretty obvious the game was made by ex-codemasters dudes because it has the same feel and attitude as a Dirt game. Which is fine, cause I like that series a lot, but it should just stay there. Forza is better off being a little dry. I feel like Horizon is a good spinoff, but it's just not giving me the full Forza experience.

When I wrap this up, I'm going back to Forza 4 for my standard driving game. I'll probably never finish all the events in there anyway.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By mcmax3000

I like both. I'd be perfectly happy with them trading off releases. I wouldn't want the Horizon style in normal Forza games, but I also wouldn't want Horizon to go away.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HerbieBug

Have put an hour or so into Horizon now and came away with positive impressions. Physics model with the assists turned off feels about right. Close enough not to bother me anyway. The party festival atmosphere does nothing for me but I do like the open world. The game's more obnoxious nods to casual atmosphere (the cutscenes) are mostly skippable, so no big deal there. However, the game did give me a chuckle/eye roll moment when it popped up your first opportunity to purchase a new vehicle: giving me a choice between a Mitsubishi Lancerr and a Subaru WRX. Do those come with optional neon interior lighting and huge subwoofer equipped stereo systems too? How about windshield stickers that feature the word "ill" in various ways? :D

Menu and UI are very slick. As for music, I always turn it off in racing games so cannot comment yay or nay on that.

I think this game is an excellent side series to compliment the mainline Forza titles. Thumbs up! Also looking forward to Forza 5. Next gen maybe? Seems like the way to go.

@mcmax3000 said:

I like both. I'd be perfectly happy with them trading off releases. I wouldn't want the Horizon style in normal Forza games, but I also wouldn't want Horizon to go away.

Agreed. There is plenty of room for both.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HerbieBug

Okay, put a couple more hours in today. More impressions. Or nitpicks. Mostly nitpicks. The positive impressions are still the same:

I don't like the garage/upgrades menus being locked to a central location. This adds an extra loading screen every time you want to access these options due to mandatory fast travel.

This game makes the same mistake as Dirt 2 and 3. Voice over is unskippable, unmuteable, and has no subtitles even when subtitles are turned on (bug? oversight?). Let me turn that garbage off please.

Certain cutscenes are unskippable. Why?

Game uses the everyman male protagonist. How does this fellow keep showing up in games. Male, age 20-40, short dark hair, dark stubble, medium build, may or may not have gravelly voice, may or may not crack wise.

AI feels just a little bit rubberbandy in the 1 on 1 races.

Otherwise solid racing game. 4.5/5.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Ramone

@HerbieBug said:

This game makes the same mistake as Dirt 2 and 3. Voice over is unskippable, unmuteable, and has no subtitles even when subtitles are turned on (bug? oversight?). Let me turn that garbage off please.

I can't tell you how much I hate that stuff in driving games. I don't need an annoying lady and some bro telling me how to play the game constantly.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HerbieBug

@Ramone: Don't you want to upload your race to youtube? Your fans want to see you put that race on youtube.

Do it! Upload it! Naow! D:

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Ramone

@HerbieBug said:

@Ramone: Don't you want to upload your race to youtube? Your fans want to see you put that race on youtube.

Do it! Upload it! Naow! D:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.