Should I play Xenoblade Chronicles 2, or wait for the remaster.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I never played the first Xenoblade Chronicles. I wanted to, but it was sold out within minutes. Seriously, they shipped like, 3 copies to my local EB Games.

I own Xenoblade 2, and have been meaning to play it, but now that the Remake/Remaster of 1 is less than a month away I'm wondering if I should wait and play the games in order. So, without spoilers how much connective tissue is there between the two games and will my will my enjoyment be at all impacted by playing them in reverse?

Thanks in advance.

Nixamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No connection really.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By imhungry

Story-wise, you'll be just fine playing them in whatever order you please. There is a direct link between the two games that is revealed but it's not something that's going to spoil anything for the first game, especially if you view it with none of the context. Even with all the knowledge it's not particularly relevant to either of the main plots, just good world building stuff more than anything.

The only possible impact I might think of would be the expanded game mechanics of the second game making you feel like the combat in the first gives you less options; that being said, I personally think the first game is a vastly superior experience in part because the expanded mechanics made the second game far less respectful of players' time.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just wait. The stories are standalone but there’s benefit to having some knowledge going to the second.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's not much connection between the two games but it is there and it's a nice touch if you've played the first.

I prefer pretty much everything but the combat for the first game so I'd play that first but you won't miss out on/spoil anything by starting with 2.

As has been said, 2 whacks a bunch of layers onto the combat of the first which will probably be easier to digest after playing the first also.

They're both pretty great imo, I can't wait to dig in to the remaster.