This is the best game I've ever played.

lamm77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lamm77

I know I’m a little late on this (2 years), but I got a switch last week and I had enough money for 2 games. Because of the sheer hype, I bought super smash bros ultimate first. While it is fun with other people, I personally didn’t enjoy the game.

For a couple of days I debated getting Mario Odyssey or Zelda BotW. I knew what I was gonna get with Mario, but from much research it looked like people slightly favored Zelda. I had never played a Zelda game before in my life, so I had no clue what to expect.

I opened Zelda, and 3 days later I’ve put 30+ hours into it.

Zelda BotW is the best game I have ever played, and it’s not even close.

Zelda is the first game that I have played where I could just spend 10-12+ hours straight on it without getting bored or getting tired. There is so much to do in Zelda, and I was blown away by the insane climbing ability of link. I am a huge fan of the paraglider too, and all of the shrines are consistently fun to do and they bring decent prizes.

I am currently going down to the elder bridge to meet karuko (?) to free the second divine beast, and I have never had more fun playing a game like this. 10/10 for sure

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My wife who doesn’t regularly play video games had a similar experience. And I dont know what it is exactly about BotW that makes it so special. I showed her Skyrim thinking she would enjoy the open world nature of it but I think Zelda has so many systems that are intrinsically rewarding. It’s not a game where the hook is a progression system to make you feel like you’re doing something, it’s just actually doing stuff that is varied and often surprising. What a great video game.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Same here. Only problem is that you can't replay it, or at least I can't. The game is so much about exploration and experimentation in every aspect of its design that I just don't think it would capture the same magic.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@rejizzle: give it 10 years and it'll be like playing it for the first time again 🤣

Games pretty great. Not best ever, but pretty great.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm a huge Zelda fan, it's great to hear this from a newcomer to the series. Nintendo is the best at putting fun ahead of everything else. Their games have always been, intuitive and hand crafted in the ways only a video game could be. I'd definitely recommend other Zelda games, although BotW is very different in a lot of ways. Even more than those, from what you said, I'd recommend Mario Odyssey first. It captures a similar feeling of having SO much to find and explore in a completely different way.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 years ago I had that feeling from A Link to the Past, and again then again with Breath of the Wild in 2017.

I got close with The Witness.

I’m so happy you gave it a shot, and had such a positive experience.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it way more before i saw joseph alexander savage it. It's very good though.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

@lamm77: I'm right there with you!

I bought my Switch back in July. I played BotW for 2 hours and was not understanding the appeal. I kept dying trying to make it to the first Shrine where you need a recipe to keep you warm.

However, once I got past that and was able to start exploring I was hooked. I really need to jump back in and play some more. It just seems so daunting on a week night when I know I only have a half hour here and there.

Love the game! I'm also really excited for Link's Awakening this month too.

Joey03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

same as you, I havent try this kind of game before, but botw just like brought me into another world to explore. there is a time i play it from 8pm first day till to 6am second day.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's awesome and fantastic. I playes some 2D Zeldas, but the only 3D one I did was Wind Waker HD. So with little connection to the series, I was still completely pulled in.

I would recommend getting the art book at some point since it fills out a TON of backstory. I enjoyed the game 100%, but the story stuff in that book made me appreciate the world they built even more.

silversaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world design is really solid (I really liked the towers + stickers for exploring), unfortunately its filled with the same 15 monsters and 900 poop seeds, lacks in the dungeon department that the series is known for, has an absolutely abysmal main story / quest, and is mired with a terrible durability based weapon system.

The game definitely some big pros, but it also has numerous cons that it really gets away with by being "Zelda"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Yeah it's one of my top 3 favorite games of all time. I had never put in more than, lets say, 10 hours into a Zelda game before. I found them to hand-holdy, basic in there puzzles and systems, and this game basically does the complete opposite. Couple that with the beautiful art style, score, and world design and you've got yourself a hit. It always bums me out when I hear people feel like there's no reason to explore or no reward to exploring, and not because I want everyone's opinions to match my own, but because it means that the pure magic of exploring that world just didn't work for them. Red Dead 2 is the only other game that gave me those feelings from just exploring a world.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By doctordonkey

The reason I love Breath of the Wild is the same reason I can't love it the same way again. Playing it for the first time was something I hadn't experienced since World of Warcraft back in 2004. The wanderlust and discovery of it all, not knowing what's around the corner, the mystery of the world, going in blind was so incredible it actually makes me sad, because I know I'll never capture that feeling again for a long, long time.

It's one of those games that make you wish you could selectively wipe your memories so you could experience it all over again. The sequel is not going to be able to rely on the same things that made Breath of the Wild so incredible, because we've all experienced it now. They have a tall order on their hands, but I'm interested to see where they go with it.