User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By selbie
Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This game is truly the most Sisyphean of all development cycles.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read up to the quote from groundhogs day an immediately died of irony poisoning.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

This game is truly the most Sisyphean of all development cycles.

Cycles implies recursion, this is a rat king of development at this point.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

. . . it is a privilege to be challenged artistically and supported financially in this manner. . ."

Yeah, no kidding. Having a bunch of saps keep paying you to put out an aspirational roadmap every few months is good work if you can get it.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@therealturk: Ten thousand struggling Etsy/Patreon/etc. artists just read this and died of laughter and/or depression.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then, with Alpha 3.15: Deadly Consequences

Yeah, give the alpha a wrestling pay-per-view name.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I understand that people that are fully invested in the promise of this game and what it represents are willing to look at one part of this "plan" and get excited.

But... Jesus fucking Christ.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hayt

Oh my god I expected that chart to be like "we are adding XYZ mission or ABC feature" but it seems literally to be fully in the weeds engine goals? Who the fuck cares whether the entities are loaded in the client server side online jpeg pipeline or whether the navmesh sync will be attuned with the geo-poly triangle system.

Who is that for? If the fans of this thing are in so deep that a chart like that is exciting... Wowee. This thing hasn't been something I am really interested in playing (even though I bought it for 30 USD a decade ago) but this one still shook me.

I am really worried that this game is going to come out so far in the future that Mark Hamil will have died of old age and it will forever be his last credited appearance.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Come for the technical descriptions, stay for the assertion that Covid is done and working from home is for suckers!

Maybe I'm not the target audience here -- I have to imagine a release like this is largely meant to preach to the already converted and keep them on the hook -- but nothing here does anything to convince me that this would be a fun game to play. It's perhaps telling that this whole release is packed full of material details of the software and the organization but says absolutely nothing about the game. Your persistent entity system only matters if it's in the service of creating a new and better experience for your players, and "leave a thing on a planet and come back to it later" just isn't that compelling.

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll admit that I funded this for around $100 near the end of the original Kickstarter, with the understanding that this may never come out and I may have essentially thrown that money into a fire.

In hindsight, this was the right perspective to take.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand that people that are fully invested in the promise of this game and what it represents are willing to look at one part of this "plan" and get excited.

But... Jesus fucking Christ.

It does seem to operate more than a little like a pump and dump scheme. Right down to the pictures of their new office they have up on their site:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

OK, so actually one of those pictures is from the movie Boiler Room, but somehow I could totally see Chris Roberts standing up and shouting "Reco!" every time a new Patreon subscriber comes in.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no skin in Star Citizen, but watching a few streamers recently it looks really cool it does seem to be delivering what they promised.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

...whether the entities are loaded in the client server side online jpeg pipeline or whether the navmesh sync will be attuned with the geo-poly triangle system.

Who is that for?

Given the footage of the game I've seen recently, it's for people who want the game to move with a relatively smooth framerate, where things load in a reasonable time and you don't fall through the underside of a planet forever.