Eurogamer Presses Roblox Head About Exploiting Child Labor. Responds By Saying The Game Is A "Gift" And Educational

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff
Watch out, this interview is a doozy!
Watch out, this interview is a doozy!

Back in 2021, gaming investigative outfit People Make Games published an exhaustive deep look at Roblox and examined ways the game and its creators exploit child game developers while netting millions. Additionally, the game and its owner before and after the report faced frequent scrutiny about harboring sexual predators that committed actual acts of sexual abuse and assault. Following PMG's report, Roblox Studios published an outline to Axios about how it planned to improve its payout system and engage in safety practices that provided all players with basic protections from personal injury or danger.

Unfortunately, Roblox continues to face accusations that it has done little to dodge claims that it continues to take advantage of child labor and that their current payout system errs on exploitation. This week, Roblox Studio head Stefano Corazza finally issued a response on why they felt these criticisms are completely unfounded and their comments... are quite possibly the worst late-stage corporate apologism I have seen this year.It's a A LOT.

While being interviewed by Eurogamer, Corazza stated plainly:

"I don't know, you can say this for a lot of things, right?" Corazza said. "Like, you can say, 'Okay, we are exploiting, you know, child labour,' right? Or, you can say: we are offering people anywhere in the world the capability to get a job, and even like an income. So, I can be like 15 years old, in Indonesia, living in a slum, and then now, with just a laptop, I can create something, make money and then sustain my life.

"I mean, our average game developer is in their 20s. But of course, there's people that are teenagers - and we have hired some teenagers that had millions of players on the platform.

"For them, you know, hearing from their experience, they didn't feel like they were exploited! They felt like, 'Oh my god, this was the biggest gift, all of a sudden I could create something, I had millions of users, I made so much money I could retire.' So I focus more on the amount of money that we distribute every year to creators, which is now getting close to like a billion dollars, which is phenomenal."

Also, Corazza repeated a defense that Roblox has made in the past that it provides younger audiences with an "educational value" that builds programming and personal finance skills that no other game outside of educational apps and programs provides. They also engage in a major informal logical fallacy by trying to dodge the issue of its treatment of minors on its platform by mentioning that most of its in-game content creators are in their twenties. That might be true, but the fact remains that minors are playing the game and Roblox is able to take advantage of their labor because they likely do not understand the context of the degree in which they are being exploited. Children and minors likely support Roblox's payout program because they don't know any better and their support of any program should not be cited as a sign that things are okay. Likewise, trying to reframe the discussion about child exploitation to that of Roblox's uplift potential in non-US or non-EU countries is downright disgusting. Major corporations have framed export processing zones or "free-trade zones" as places in which developing economies are uplifted by new factories or extraction facilities, often signed off by international institutions like the World Bank. However, after decades, we know that unless these zones are highly regulated and subject to third-party monitoring, no economic "uplifting" is bound to occur. It's safe to say that the same applies to Roblox and as PMG's initial report stated, if Roblox wasn't doing what it presently does on the internet, they would have been shut down years ago. But here's another quote from the interview that made my head explode:

"We have millions of creators in Roblox Studio. They learn Lua scripting," a programming language, "which is pretty close to Python - you can get a job in the tech industry in the future, and be like, 'Hey, I'm a programmer,' right?

"I think that we are really focusing on the learning - the curriculum, if you want - and really bringing people on and empowering them to be professionals."

For reference, buying 1,000 Robux costs the equivalent of around $12.50. When creators in Roblox attempt to cash out 1,000 Robux, it nets them approximately $3.50. Furthermore, the number of FREE educational programs on the internet that teach programming skills and languages like Lua or Java are too many to list. Part of me wants to admonish Eurogamer for having this guy say his piece without even the slightest bit of pushback, but I assume they're presenting his words as such because they are so damning as they stand. I mean... good God.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sounds like someone has a grudge against opportunity.

More seriously, I always wonder why these guys even take these interviews (it's not like Roblox needs the press) and what they think they are accomplishing by making these outrageous and offensive claims. Why not just say nothing except when legally compelled to, and let your highly compensated attorneys do the talking for you at that time?

My guess is that on some level he believes it or has convinced himself it's true. That's the simplest explanation. And it's terrifying. All these people in charge of these important institutions that not only ARE sociopaths but seem not to understand their own sociopathy and are convinced it's normal and others will praise them for it. And some will.

You could at LEAST say "Roblox has an internal team working right now to revise our policies and technologies to make sure that our underage users are as safe and protected from any form of exploitation as is possible. We are always striving to improve the experience for users of all ages and we strictly comply with all local laws in the territories where we operate." That wouldn't make people comfortable but it would at least avoid adding fuel to the fire.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Exactly, they've got this massively successful thing and have taking advantage of a lack of ethics so far, if they admit to the flaws and commit to change they'll still have a really popular and successful thing AND have better press... so just do it.