Bobby Kotick Is Leaving Activision Following A $400M Payout And $54M Settlement Of Workplace Discrimination

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

Robert Kotick, who has been CEO of Activision Blizzard since 1991, will likely depart the company on December 29th, 2023. Upon Microsoft closing its deal to purchase Activision-Blizzard-King (i.e., ABK), it was reported that Kotick would remain but only on a temporary capacity to help in the transition of the purchase. In a public memo to all employees, Kotick stated that the company would transition away from its independent company leadership to that of Phil Spencer and Matt Booty. He also stated:

Phil Spencer has appreciated the magic of ABK for decades. When he approached Brian and me two years ago and proposed acquiring the company, it was immediately obvious that the combination of our businesses would enable us to continue to lead as the list of capable, well-resourced competitors grows.

Phil shares our values and recognizes our talents. He is passionate about our games and the people who make them. He has bold ambition.

Bobby Kotick is not leaving his position without a sizeable payout, however. Business Insider reported that Kotick's payout to support Microsoft's purchase of ABK and to opt him out of future leadership positions post-purchase amounted to $400 million. That amount is high in part because Kotick took a pay cut in 2021 due to the company's lawsuit with the state of California related to workplace discrimination as well as sexual, emotional, and physical harassment.

Speaking of which, Activision Blizzard has agreed to settle that lawsuit with the state of California to the tune of $54 million. As per TechChrunch "Roughly $46 million of the funds will go to compensate workers, particularly women who were employees or contractors with the company from 2015 to 2020." However, as part of the settlement the California Civil Rights Department was forced to agree to absolve Bobby Kotick of any criminal wrongdoing and agree that it failed to present any evidence of illegal behavior on his behalf.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How shocking. I'm shocked.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

:o

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sucks he gets paid, but god I hope he stays out of the video game industry for the rest of his life.

I bet he ends up in politics for maximum hell world results.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Likely outcome becomes actual outcome.

He took Activision to great heights. AND THEN HE REFUSED TO STOP.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't let the door hit you on the way out, bob.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By AV_Gamer

That will show Kotick not to be corrupt! He only got 400M, when he could've gotten over a billion. I bet he is crying in his Bentley. Serves him right!

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Its so... upsetting... that he gets 400 million and ALL the workers affected in that settled suit have to share 46 million. I'm not sure how many people are involved, but after legal fees and all the lawyers and their accessories get their take I cant imagine there is a whole lot left over.

He could just as easily donate half of what he made to those people and STILL get off like a literal empower with that amount of fiscal power just being handed to him.

The final form of capitalism is just a rebranding of what it originally sought to replace.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MF's as slimy as Carter Burke from Aliens. At least CB was fictional.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talk about falling upwards.