The Glory Society, Co-operative of Night in the Woods Devs, Dissolves Due To Health Issues; Revenant Hill Cancelled

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
No Caption Provided

In news that definitely disappointed those on the indie scene, especially those that enjoyed Night in the Woods, The Glory Society, a development co-operative formed by key figures behind that game, has announced that they have dissolved and development on their upcoming project, Revenant Hill is cancelled.

On their website, they issued the following statement:

Games take a while to make and usually require a good team working together. We’ve been lucky to have one such good team. Unfortunately, recent serious health issues have necessitated two key members stepping away from the project indefinitely. We are a small team and we each wear multiple hats. This is a loss of several hard to replace hats in an environment where all hats are needed. Given the realities of schedules, budgets, and the fraught task of reworking the whole project within those parameters, the team has amicably decided to suspend operations. For all intents and purposes, this is the end of the development of Revenant Hill.

Scott Benson, one of the key figures behind the upcoming project as well as Night in the Woods relayed on Twitter that they are currently suffering from serious heart failure. Benson detailed in a Tweet thread that their partner likely prevented them from dying and that their health is their current priority moving forward. Obviously, one's health and wellbeing is always greater than meeting publishing dates.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

God, that’s horrible. I hope Benson is able to make a full recovery.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By AV_Gamer  Online

As someone who loved Night in the Woods, this really sucks. But health is the most important thing and I hope all is well in the future.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This sucks. I loved Night in the Woods and this trailer looks great. Wishing them the best.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno exactly how to feel about that. On the one hand, it sucks that a studio shut down and a game got cancelled. On the other hand, at least it was for a legitimate reason and not "the suits can't do basic math." So that's . . . good? I guess?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bigsocrates  Online

@therealturk: Can't really see how someone having a very serious medical condition is "good" tbh. I'll take crappy corporate governance over someone's life being threatened by illness any day of the week.

This sucks, and the fact that the game isn't getting made is the least of it, even though Night in the Woods was excellent. Hopefully the health issue can be resolved and they can start back up production, but otherwise I'm sure the talented team members will find other places to work and I hope this dude can survive with as good quality of life as possible.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Oh hell, sorry to hear that. Here's hoping for better health for the employees in question and safe landings for everyone.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love NITW and was definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next, but health issues are obviously more important. Hope things go as well as they can for Scott.