HDR settings

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Hi all,

I found the default HDR settings/tools left the image washed out.

Here are some suggestions:

First, does your TV have tone mapping for HDR? (it might be called something else on your TV.)

(If you have a LG OLED, only the 2018 models do in game mode. I'd suggest using a different HDR mode on the TV for this game (if your TV doesn't have tone mapping for gaming mode.) It isn't like input lag matters for this game. Also, unless you calibrated your TV (you need a meter and software) game modes normally look like crap :( )

HDR suggestions: RE2 has real HRD support. Unlike red dead 2 or monster hunter.

1) Change the TV mode (on the TV, and when HDR content is on) to technicolor HDR (not gaming, if not an option pick cinema HDR or ISF HDR) – it will look better and it isn’t like this game needs the fancy input lag. Make sure Tone Mapping is on. (which it should be by default. It is not dynamic contrast. That is bad and should be off.)

[These settings only matter with Tone Mapping on]

2) On the HDR brightness options in the game (Display). Max it to the right.

3) On the second HDR brightness window (with the red and blue), move it all the way to the left. Then tick if 3-4 times to the right.

Why? The short answer is tone mapping. The TV see (and expects) 4000nits and the TV will map the brightness down to what the screen can do. Also doing this while making sure you get the full range of brightness. There is no point making it bright when you lose the darkness.)

I'm loving the game.

Sofa + dog + xbox elite controller + 2080 ti + LG OLED C8 77" (fully calibrated) + atmos (5.1.2) + 4k HDR + dark room. yummy :)

Want more info:

Not playing the game? check out the first hour. (But just get the game)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Does the TCL have tone mapping? (i think it does) Do most TVs? Do any, other the LG's newest, have it in game mode?

If that is the case, i wonder what people do to get the correct looking HDR. (and from the dev's view, what settings do you put in if the TV does support tone mapping (or the user has not idea what it is.))

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By haneybd87

This game certainly seems to be tone mapped correctly on the high end but the low end is improperly implemented. Even at 3 clicks from the left the blacks are still elevated to gray. Maybe messing around with my TV settings will get me there but I’m not going to change my settings for one game. Especially when every other properly implemented HDR game, 4K disc and HDR streamed video look great with the same settings.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought the game a couple of months ago and the blacks were just fucked no matter the settings. On xbox, oled tv. I fiddled with it for over an hour, it’s just broken. No patch to fix this issue was ever released